Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 22:16 It is currently 09 May 2024, 22:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q52 V58
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q48 V51
GMAT 3: 770 Q49 V48
GPA: 3.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Columbia v Wharton (no $) [#permalink]
Kudos
Congrats on two big offers! As a current 1Y at Wharton I’m a bit biased but I think you can’t really go wrong either way here. I’d say Wharton’s brand is probably a bit stronger and larger alumni network is a plus. That said, not a massive different in terms of career prospects for ed tech or start-ups. You might have slightly better luck in PE or VC here, but those are tough fields anywhere. I think the personal connection to NY definitely makes a difference, but if you have to move, Philly is about as close as you can get. (Some of my friends have SOs in NYC and alternate visiting each other every weekend.) In any case, congrats!!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wharton vs. Columbia ($$) or EMBA? [#permalink]
I was currently admitted to Columbia and Wharton full-time. Columbia came back and offered 40K per year. Wharton won't match. I'm a 34 year old NYC based educator who founded a public school and looking for a career change to EdTech/VC. My current salary is already that of post-MBA grads from these schools. Given COVID/economy etc thoughts on which to go with? I'm also wondering if I can accomplish the same things with an EMBA and hang on to the salary.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73126 [0]
Given Kudos: 18942
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Wharton vs. Columbia ($$) or EMBA? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi there. Merging your two topics as it makes sense to keep things together so some of us who reply here don't go mad :)

As to your question about EMBA programs, Executive programs are not most famous for their placement stats or really get a lot of publicity. Many EMBA students are sponsored and won't be looking for jobs. Historically EMBA programs were designed for seasoned professionals who are established in their industries and not looking to switch from CPG into consulting or vice versa, though there are many instances of change in the recent years (it is just not something EMBA program per se facilitates or promises to deliver). The strongest network EMBA students build is within their cohort/class.

At the same time, you can recruit with the FT students but it is usually logistically hard to attend the vents, be on campus, do coffee chats, etc (it has been at least till the current coronavirus environment... things may get simpler)

I would say that if you are trying to start your own company, you want to minimize the debt generally. Obviously you can raise $$ and get other folks funds but it is getting tricker with the current economy and I would recommend taking the path that would offer you shelter during the turbulent times of a startup. There are probably many opportunities in the current times in education. Everyone is learning remotely but you obviously may not be ready and may miss out on that wave. Thus the next best option is either EMBA or a scholarship from a program. If you feel you can keep your current job and achieve your goals with an EMBA, sure, why not. it is less transformative and focuses on the current job applications and probably pushes you less but you will get a great network of execs - is that the right network for you? Not sure but if you are able to continue collecting a high salary and do your job, I feel EMBA makes a lot of sense... if you need it really (that's the part i am not very clear on)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Wharton vs. Columbia ($$) or EMBA? [#permalink]
I travel to the Bay Area often and I know that Wharton has their EMBA program in Philadelphia and in San Francisco, and I know that in San Francisco it’s highly regarded.
Columbia is a good school, with a good network in New York but it’s shadowed by Wharton everywhere.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up on a meandering path that has led me to the Columbia EMBA. Over the last year an opportunity to be a partner in a company with a former successful hedge fund manager has emerged - with a post-MBA salary and equity - so stepping out of the workforce is not really an option. I figure the MBA will help me in the start-up and give me flexibility to "rebrand" myself as a lifetime educator to pursue more innovative careers in ed. Was a tough choice given factors like my age, taking on the debt etc but your thoughts were super helpful.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts