It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 12:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton vs INSEAD(France)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Project Management (Consulting)
Wharton vs INSEAD(France) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2016, 12:23
Hi everyone,

I am currently debating between these 2 schools.
My background - 28, Indian origin, 5 years financial analytics consulting experience across US , Singapore and India.
Post MBA goal-strategy consulting.
Countries - Long term- Australia (my family is settled there); Short term- I am open to any place - US/Singapore (Europe - but doesn't offer that many job opportunities)
Visa - I would need visa sponsorship in both Europe and US, so that's not really a deciding factor.

I do like the shorter course idea given its a smaller burden financially (and getting to live in Europe briefly) but does INSEAD have that much name recognition globally compared to US schools? It was ranked one globally this year but the rankings keep moving every year and might not be as reliable.

My thoughts-

INSEAD-

Pros-
10 months-shorter time away from work, much greater ROI
Gives me access to Singapore campus and Wharton/Kellogg exchange
Rank 1 in FT rankings for 2016
One of the Top schools for MBB recruiters

Cons-
Shorter course - no time for internship-maybe imp given I want to change my field.
Name recognition -rankings keep changing. US schools are better world renowned and especially good for US jobs. Given the state of European economy - US is still the place for better job opportunities.
Is Campus Exchange really that valuable given the short time spent there.

Wharton -

Pros-
Well renowned , better job opportunities in US
Longer course - internship option to get a feel of strategy consulting

Cons-
Higher cost-almost twice as much - higher loan
Not much access to Asia - Singapore/Australia markets - my long term goal
Much younger student population - might be much older than my classmates

Any thoughts?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Wharton vs INSEAD(France) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2016, 13:11
I think the above sounds reasonable. What stood out to me is that I believe Wharton has an absolutely mammoth alumni network in APAC - I'm guessing much bigger than INSEAD. And particularly in Asia. hence I would actually say access to those job markets is definitely equal if not better than INSEAD.

The other thing is that I believe that Wharton is known for being more open to older candidates, along with the European business schools, compared to the likes of HBS / Stanford. So I would not personally perceive the last two points in your Wharton Cons list as cons at all, when specifically comparing against INSEAD.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Wharton vs INSEAD(France) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 16:48
DI119 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am currently debating between these 2 schools.
My background - 28, Indian origin, 5 years financial analytics consulting experience across US , Singapore and India.
Post MBA goal-strategy consulting.
Countries - Long term- Australia (my family is settled there); Short term- I am open to any place - US/Singapore (Europe - but doesn't offer that many job opportunities)
Visa - I would need visa sponsorship in both Europe and US, so that's not really a deciding factor.

I do like the shorter course idea given its a smaller burden financially (and getting to live in Europe briefly) but does INSEAD have that much name recognition globally compared to US schools? It was ranked one globally this year but the rankings keep moving every year and might not be as reliable.

My thoughts-

INSEAD-

Pros-
10 months-shorter time away from work, much greater ROI
Gives me access to Singapore campus and Wharton/Kellogg exchange
Rank 1 in FT rankings for 2016
One of the Top schools for MBB recruiters

Cons-
Shorter course - no time for internship-maybe imp given I want to change my field.
Name recognition -rankings keep changing. US schools are better world renowned and especially good for US jobs. Given the state of European economy - US is still the place for better job opportunities.
Is Campus Exchange really that valuable given the short time spent there.

Wharton -

Pros-
Well renowned , better job opportunities in US
Longer course - internship option to get a feel of strategy consulting

Cons-
Higher cost-almost twice as much - higher loan
Not much access to Asia - Singapore/Australia markets - my long term goal
Much younger student population - might be much older than my classmates

Any thoughts?

Are you looking for more international exposure or a better brand name on your resume? They are both great programs and the good news is they have exchange programs so you could spend some time on both campuses regardless of where you study (and across INSEAD campuses with the Wharton exchange).

More importantly, are you currently applying to both? I don't believe you could have gotten into Wharton yet so I suggest applying and deciding later! Reach out with any other questions. I had a great experience at Wharton for my MBA and would be happy to share more thoughts. www.personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Re: Wharton vs INSEAD(France)   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2016, 16:48

Wharton vs INSEAD(France)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, bb10, aerien, BrushMyQuant

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap