GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 19:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

What can I improve on before I apply for B school in 2 years?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
What can I improve on before I apply for B school in 2 years?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 01:26
Hi. Would like to know what I can improve on in 2 years time (aside from actually taking the GMAT), and whether my target schools are attainable (better with $$$).

Background:

Work experience: Almost two years as a covering research associate in a lesser-known middle market investment bank, but in a South East Asian nation. Had one informal promotion (from standard research associate to one that covers equities), and am expecting a promotion to analyst very soon. Have done some marketing/been to investment conferences and has always been client facing. Before that, I had an equity research internship in a BB.

EC: Was active and held a leadership role in a charity-based UG organization. Currently serving as an informal consultant (not so active) to an organization that caters to impoverished communities. I have won some national and international competitions in investment analysis during my UG days but they don't seem to be very prestigious.

Undergrad: A top 3 uni in a South East Asian country but doesn't rank well globally. Majored in Business Management but took additional quantitative classes. Had a GPA that is slightly higher than 3.6/4.0 (likely around 3.63; I just can't recall right now)

Other education: Took a short course in a top uni in the UK (Finance course); took a short course in a top uni in South Korea

Race/Nationality: Mixed: South East Asian and East Asian (is it better to just report South East Asian? I heard adcoms are pretty brutal with East Asians. Or will it not matter?)

Sex: M

Stats: Yet to take the GMAT but aiming for above a 730.

MBA info: Transition to buyside in a HF or AM to eventually set up my own in my home country. Furthermore, I am being molded to take over the family corporation and an MBA would help in different ways (~USD 50 mn annual revenues).

Target universities: HBS (reach); NYU, Yale, Columbia (target); Cornell (safety).

Other info: Can speak three languages (inclusive of English), play an instrument, have strong connections in my country's business scene by virtue of finance job and family corporation (how do I let adcom know without sounding like I'm bragging?)

What should I work on aside from getting a good GMAT? Am I competitive for the schools I have listed, with good chance for $? Should I focus my story on shifting to buy side, or to running the family corporation?

Oh and lastly, is applying to five unis in R1 a hard thing that will likely compromise quality?

Cheers,

GMATworm100
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: What can I improve on before I apply for B school in 2 years?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 05:08
GMATworm100 wrote:
Hi. Would like to know what I can improve on in 2 years time (aside from actually taking the GMAT), and whether my target schools are attainable (better with $$$).

Background:

Work experience: Almost two years as a covering research associate in a lesser-known middle market investment bank, but in a South East Asian nation. Had one informal promotion (from standard research associate to one that covers equities), and am expecting a promotion to analyst very soon. Have done some marketing/been to investment conferences and has always been client facing. Before that, I had an equity research internship in a BB.

Hi GMATworm100

You will get much more comments if you post here

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-b-school ... ation-103/

or post for consultants:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... 4/?fl=menu

Wish you all the best

bb billionaire

Can you please move the post to the appropriate place.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 03:36
GMATworm100 wrote:
Hi. Would like to know what I can improve on in 2 years time: Main points to focus on are : Leadership Experience, Better understanding of your Post MBA Goal. Impact you had either in the personal life of someone or your professional Arena.

Background:

EC: Was active and held a leadership role in a charity-based UG organization. Currently serving as an informal consultant (not so active) to an organization that caters to impoverished communities. I have won some national and international competitions in investment analysis during my UG days but they don't seem to be very prestigious.

Undergrad: A top 3 uni in a South East Asian country but doesn't rank well globally. Majored in Business Management but took additional quantitative classes. Had a GPA that is slightly higher than 3.6/4.0 (likely around 3.63; I just can't recall right now)

Other education: Took a short course in a top uni in the UK (Finance course); took a short course in a top uni in South Korea

Race/Nationality: Mixed: South East Asian and East Asian (is it better to just report South East Asian? I heard adcoms are pretty brutal with East Asians. Or will it not matter?) No Adcom is brutal but they just want best of best candidate and demographics plays role in competition but this does not mean that they are targetting specific geography and being mean to them. so do not worry about this.

Sex: M

Stats: Yet to take the GMAT but aiming for above a 730.

MBA info: Transition to buyside in a HF or AM to eventually set up my own in my home country. Furthermore, I am being molded to take over the family corporation and an MBA would help in different ways (~USD 50 mn annual revenues). Focus on one Post MBA Goal. being molded is different than you wanting to do it.so use this properly.

Target universities: HBS (reach); NYU, Yale, Columbia (target); Cornell (safety).

Other info: Can speak three languages (inclusive of English), play an instrument, have strong connections in my country's business scene by virtue of finance job and family corporation (how do I let adcom know without sounding like I'm bragging?) No you are not bragging. these are your points which can be included in your application, but how you present these will matter and set tone for how adcoms hear these.

What should I work on aside from getting a good GMAT? Am I competitive for the schools I have listed, with good chance for $? Should I focus my story on shifting to buy side, or to running the family corporation? You still have a long way to go so with proper GMAT Score and good profile you are competitive, but once again demographics and professional experience will paly a huge role in competitiveness. Take example of IIM (Indian, IT & Male)

Oh and lastly, is applying to five unis in R1 a hard thing that will likely compromise quality?Not necesserliy, It depends on your capacity. If you can put that much of hard work to prepare 5 Apps you are good to go. Its all up to you. I know some applicant who applied to 11 Schools in R1 and some only applied to 2 Schools. So it's all on you.

Cheers,
Cheers

GMATworm100

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.98
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 15:57
Hi, along with all the amazing suggestions from others, I would like to add that you should work on building your story. All your future steps should have a purpose or a link that you can explain in the application. Purposeless steps would only make the adcom feel that you did all of it for the sake of your application.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What can I improve on before I apply for B school in 2 years?   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2019, 15:57

What can I improve on before I apply for B school in 2 years?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap