Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [15]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.95
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: When one litre of water is added to a mixture of acid and water, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
WarriorWithin wrote:
Answer is corrected to E. Here is the explanation -

If there be 1 litre of acid in 4 litres of mixture, then in

That is a strange solution -- naturally if we just guess the right answer in advance, that we started with 4 litres in total, then it becomes easy to check that we started with 4 litres in total. But how did we decide we started with 4 litres? That seems to me the whole point of the problem. We're not free to pick an arbitrary starting number here, and if we pick any other starting total besides 4 litres, the percentages won't work out correctly.

What is the source?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Send PM
Re: When one litre of water is added to a mixture of acid and water, [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi IanStewart

I think assuming values will take you to answer more in less but we can also reach to answer by solving through equation method - Here is how I came to the right answer using equations -

Let a be the acid in liters and w be the water in liters,
Quote:
using Statement 1 - \(\frac{a}{a+w+1}\) = \(\frac{1}{5}\), solving we get - 4a = w+1 --------------(1)

Quote:
using Statement 2 - \(\frac{a+1}{a+1+w+1}\) = \(\frac{1}{3}\)

solving we get -
3a + 3 = a+w+2
2a +2 = w + 1 = 4a ------------( substituting from 1)
a = 1 , so w = 3

Hence, original concentration of Acid = \(\frac{1}{4}*100\) = 25%
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
When one litre of water is added to a mixture of acid and water, [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
WarriorWithin wrote:
When one litre of water is added to a mixture of acid and water, the new mixture contains 20% acid. When one litre of acid is added to the new mixture, then the resulting mixture contains \(33 \frac{1}{3}\) acid. The percentage of acid in the original mixture was

A. 20%
B. 22%
C. 23%
D. 24%
E. 25%

At the end of the first stage, the amount of acid is equal to 1/5 of the total mixture:
\(A = \frac{1}{5}T\)
\(5A = T\)

In the second stage, the amount of acid and the total each increase by 1 liter, with the result that the increased amount of acid is equal to 1/3 of the new total:
\(A+1 = \frac{1}{3}(T+1)\)
\(3A+3 = T+1\)
\(3A+2 = T\)

Since 5A=T and 3A+2=T, we get:
5A = 3A+2
2A = 2
A = 1
T = 5A = 5

Since the total at the end of the first stage is 5 liters, the original amount of mixture -- before the addition of one liter of water -- is 4 liters.
Thus:
\(\frac{A}{original-mixture} = \frac{1}{4} =\) 25%

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
When one litre of water is added to a mixture of acid and water, [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
Suppose the fraction of the original mixture that is acid is p, and we start with T litres in total. Then we have pT litres of acid, and the rest, T - pT litres, must be water.

When we add one litre of water, we still have pT litres of acid, and now we have T - pT + 1 litres of water. We know this is now 20% acid (and so is 80% water), so acid and water are now in a 1 to 4 ratio, and T - pT + 1 = 4pT.

When we next add one litre of acid, we still have T - pT + 1 litres of water, but now we have pT + 1 litres of acid. If we now have a solution which is 1/3 acid, then acid and water are in a 1 to 2 ratio, and T - pT + 1 = 2(pT + 1).

Since we now know T - pT + 1 is equal both to 4pT and to 2(pT + 1), those must equal each other, so

4pT = 2pT + 2
pT = 1

and we started out with 1 litre of acid. We know after adding 1 litre of water, the solution is 20% acid, and since we have 1 litre of acid, we must then have 4 litres of water. So in the initial situation, before adding the 1 litre of water, we had 3 litres of water and 1 litre of acid, and a 25% acid solution.

The OA currently listed in the first post is "C", which is not correct.

Hi IanStewart

Can you please explain the highlighted bit above? I understood till the part where we get pT = 1. I'm confused with the rest.

Thanks
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
pearljiandani wrote:
Hi IanStewart

Can you please explain the highlighted bit above? I understood till the part where we get pT = 1. I'm confused with the rest.

Thanks

pT in my solution was the amount of acid we started with. So when I find pT = 1, that means we started with 1 litre of acid. Say we also had w litres of water to start with.

We know when we add 1 litre of water, which will give us 1 litre of acid and w+1 litres of water, we get a solution that is 20% acid, or 1/5 acid. If the solution is 1/5 acid, the ratio of acid to water is 1 to 4. We have 1 litre of acid, so we must have 4 litres of water, and w + 1 = 4, so w = 3, and we started with 3 litres of water.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
WarriorWithin wrote:
When one litre of water is added to a mixture of acid and water, the new mixture contains 20% acid. When one litre of acid is added to the new mixture, then the resulting mixture contains \(33 \frac{1}{3}\) acid. The percentage of acid in the original mixture was

A. 20%
B. 22%
C. 23%
D. 24%
E. 25%

Let the initial weights be a and w.
When one litre of water is added to a mixture of acid and water, the new mixture contains 20% acid
=> a:(w+1)=20:80=1:4
4a=w+1.....(I)

When one litre of acid is added to the new mixture, then the resulting mixture contains \(33 \frac{1}{3}\) % acid.
Be careful of the word NEW mixture.
=> (a+1):(w+1)=1:2
2a+2=w+1.....(II)

From I and II, we get 4a=2a+2 => a=1, and, therefore, w=3.
% of a in a+w = \(100*\frac{1}{1+3}=25\)%

E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts