GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Jun 2020, 21:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 169
When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2009, 18:53
4
1
38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (01:03) correct 45% (01:07) wrong based on 1443 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to decide a case according to his or her gut instinct, which are not formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.

(A) which are not formally
(B) which are not a formally
(C) which is not a formally
(D) which is formally not a
(E) which is not formally

_________________
Always tag your question
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 64234
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 22:11
1
2
ichha148 wrote:
When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to decide a case according to his or her gut instinct, which are not formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.

(A) which are not formally
(B) which are not a formally
(C) which is not a formally
(D) which is formally not a
(E) which is not formally


KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:



Gut instinct is the subject of the second clause. (Think of it this way: What is not formally sanctioned or prohibited? Gut instinct. The "which" clause modifies gut instinct.) The verb needs to agree with the singular instinct. Choices (A) and (B) are incorrect, since they use instinct are. (C) and (D) include the word a, while (E) does not: Does which is not or which is not a work better? Reading the options into the sentence, you'll see that the final a is necessary to modify means. Finally, choice (D) changes the meaning of the sentence. In the end, (C) is your best choice.

An 800 test taker knows that not only do subjects need to agree with their verbs, but they need to agree with their objects as well. So, it's incorrect to say the cats have a flea collar, the object must be plural as in the cats have flea collars.
_________________
Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 456
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2009, 20:42
6
2
ichha148 wrote:
OA is C , Can some one please explain to me why is D wrong ? is there any idiom?


in D the placement of formally is just wrong, it seems to change the meaning of the sentence. For example "we were formally not introduced"... this seems to mean we were not introduced because we werent supposed to be, as opposed to "we were not formally introduced" ...which just means we were not properly introduced.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 169
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2009, 14:57
OA is C , Can some one please explain to me why is D wrong ? is there any idiom?
_________________
Always tag your question
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 460
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2011, 18:11
1
1
I knew the difference between C and E

c)which is not a formally (sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.)
e)which is not formally (sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.)

If we choose E, we have problem with S-V agreement, "his or her instinct are means", that make nonsense. We really need "a" here to resolve the problem with "means" whether this word is plural or singular. In this case, it is singular.

Here is the explanation in dictionary.com
Means (N)

1.Usually, means. (used with a singular or plural verb) an agency, instrument, or method used to attain an end: The telephone is a means of communication. There are several means of solving the problem.
2.
means,
a.
available resources, especially money: They lived beyond their means.
b.
considerable financial resources; riches: a man of means.
3.
something that is midway between two extremes; something intermediate: to seek a mean between cynicism and blind faith.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 212
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2012, 20:22
(C) which is not a formally

(D) which is formally not a

In the explanation in the book, "you'll see that the final a is neccessary to modify means."

How does a plural noun "means" need "a" ?

I looked up dictionary, and it says "means" can be both singular and plural.

Then, is "means" in this sentence considered singular becuase of "a verdict"?

Also, in the explanation in the book, "D changes the meaning of the sentence.

How??? :shock:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Rising GMAT Star
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 113
Location: Philippines
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2012, 20:36
eybrj2 wrote:
(C) which is not a formally

(D) which is formally not a

In the explanation in the book, "you'll see that the final a is neccessary to modify means."

How does a plural noun "means" need "a" ?

I looked up dictionary, and it says "means" can be both singular and plural.

Then, is "means" in this sentence considered singular becuase of "a verdict"?

Also, in the explanation in the book, "D changes the meaning of the sentence.

How??? :shock:


From www.thefreedictionary.com

4. means (used with a sing. or pl. verb) A method, a course of action, or an instrument by which an act can be accomplished or an end achieved.

So as you can see, this isn't a matter of singular or plural: means is plural or singular :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 117
Location: India
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2013, 06:13
ichha148 wrote:
When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to decide a case according to his or her gut instinct, which are not formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.

(A) which are not formally
(B) which are not a formally
(C) which is not a formally
(D) which is formally not a
(E) which is not formally


Good one;

Here there is clear cut explanation in the previous post about the answer choices. But i feel need explanation about why not D or Why not C ? The plot of the passage is court of law. In making the decision the juror needs to comply according to mentioned procedures in law. Which means that if the a procedure is documented in the law. D changes the meaning of the sentence as the procedure is mentioned as 'NOT SANCTIONED'. Is it possible? So the answer is C- which clear cut identifies the verb agreement error and meaning.

Hope that helps

:banana
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 685
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2014, 03:48
C. gut instinct, which is not a formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.

a formally sanctioned or prohibited means (SUBJECT SINGULAR) goes well with verb IS

formally (adverb) -- sanctioned or prohibited (both adjective) -- means (noun)

sanctioned or prohibited means (adjective + noun )

formally (adverb) is modifying adjectives sanctioned or prohibited.

Therefore, C is grammatically correct.
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2429
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2015, 08:02
eybrj2 wrote:
When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to decide a case according to his or her gut instinct, which are not formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.


(A) which are not formally
the verb needs to be in singular

(B) which are not a formally
the verb needs to be in singular

(C) which is not a formally
correct

(D) which is formally not a
changes meaning

(E) which is not formally
a formally sanctioned or a formally prohibited means is not the same as
formally sanctioned or formally prohibited means
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jan 2016
Posts: 73
Location: India
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 04:49
Can someone explain the difference between C and D. I am still not convinced with explanations provided.
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Emory Goizueta Alum
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3590
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 00:04
2
ankujgupta wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between C and D. I am still not convinced with explanations provided.


In D, there is a meaning change. Which is formally 'not a sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.' Notice that formally here modifies both sanctioned and prohibited'

While in C(or original question), We are given 'which is not a formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.'. So, here I could say formally modifies only sanctions. Hence, C is preferred over D as C maintain the original meaning.
_________________
My LinkedIn abhimahna. | My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40 | My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More | Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here | Have OPT questions? - Post them here.
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here. | Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
New! Executive Assessment (EA) Exam - All you need to know!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2807
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 10:23
1
ankujgupta wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between C and D. I am still not convinced with explanations provided.


Excellent explanation above by abhimahna. Basically in D the adverb "formally" modifies the verb "is", whereas in D the adverb "formally" modifies the adjective "sanctioned". The original sentence conveys the latter meaning.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Status: EAT SLEEP GMAT REPEAT!
Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 141
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 08:50
Whats wrong with E.Can any one explain?

ichha148 wrote:
When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to decide a case according to his or her gut instinct, which are not formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.

(A) which are not formally
(B) which are not a formally
(C) which is not a formally
(D) which is formally not a
(E) which is not formally

_________________
Regards,
Adi
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Emory Goizueta Alum
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3590
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 09:42
1
Adi93 wrote:
Whats wrong with E.Can any one explain?


Hey Adi93 ,

E is also causing meaning problem.

Distinction between a formally means vs formally means.

When you say formally means, you are actually changing the meaning of the sentence. "A formally means" - instinct is one of the various formally means. While formally means - instinct is the formally means.

Does that make sense?
_________________
My LinkedIn abhimahna. | My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40 | My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More | Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here | Have OPT questions? - Post them here.
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here. | Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
New! Executive Assessment (EA) Exam - All you need to know!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 88
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2019, 22:55
1st split are/is - instinct is singular = A,B- out
2nd split formally means/ a formally means = means is singular we need article E - out
3d split meaning = D -out

Correct answer C
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 08 May 2019
Posts: 163
Location: India
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2020, 07:44
ichha148 wrote:
When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to decide a case according to his or her gut instinct, which are not formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.

(A) which are not formally
(B) which are not a formally
(C) which is not a formally
(D) which is formally not a
(E) which is not formally


Above explanations for option D says meaning is not intended.

But I don't see any meaning issue. Option D also makes sense here if fitted in original statement.

VeritasKarishma, MentorTutoring, Kindly explain.
Tutor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 May 2019
Posts: 744
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2020, 13:10
Harsh2111s wrote:
ichha148 wrote:
When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to decide a case according to his or her gut instinct, which are not formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.

(A) which are not formally
(B) which are not a formally
(C) which is not a formally
(D) which is formally not a
(E) which is not formally


Above explanations for option D says meaning is not intended.

But I don't see any meaning issue. Option D also makes sense here if fitted in original statement.

VeritasKarishma, MentorTutoring, Kindly explain.

Hello, Harsh2111s. I will say that in my approach to the question, one that took about 30 seconds for me to answer correctly, I did not consider that (D) changed the meaning of the sentence. Rather, the grammatical construct is skewed, as is most clearly explained above by sayantanc2k. In choice (D), formally is modifying the linking verb is. It is not as though that construct could not work under certain circumstances—say, if the adverb were temporal in nature, as in usually or typically—but in this case, by placing formally on the right side of the article a, we understand that a sanctioned means is being modified instead. Clarity of meaning will always win out on the GMAT™, and (C) is the better option of the two.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to tag me.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 05 Jan 2019
Posts: 213
When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2020, 19:10
When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to decide a case according to his or her gut instinct, which are not formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.

the underline portion indicates that this clause is a relative clause that tries to modify the noun immediately preceding it. In this case, the noun is the 'gut instinct', which is singular in nature. Hence, it must be matched by a singular verb.

(A) which are not formally - here, we have a singular noun (in the preceding clause) but a plural verb (are). There's a subject-verb agreement problem here. Hence, eliminate (A)

(B) which are not a formally - here, the same error exists as in (A). So, eliminate (B)

(C) which is not a formally - this clause tries to modify the noun 'gut instinct'. So, to understand this option better, let us isolate the relation between this noun and the succeeding clause.

Part 1. Gut instinct is not a formally sanctioned mean

Part 2. Gut instinct is not a formally prohibited means.

As you can see, the above structure makes perfect sense.

Hence, (C) is the right answer.

(D) which is formally not a - let's analyze this in the same way that we did for (C)

Part 1. Gut instinct is formally not a sanctioned mean
and
Part 2. Gut instinct is formally not a prohibited means.

We can therefore make an inference that this structure (as used in (D) ) changes the intended meaning. besides, I dont think that Part 1 (in option D) makes sense.

Hence, eliminate (D)

(E) which is not formally-

Let's perform the same 'part analysis' as is done in (C) and (D)

Part1. Gut instinct is not formally sanctioned mean

Part 2. Gut instinct is not formally prohibited mean

In both these parts, an article ('a') is missing. Moreover, this further defines what the items (or terms) that a 'gut instinct' does not have; this structure does not tell us anything about whether the usage of 'gut instinct' (by a juror in deciding a case) is prohibited or sanctioned. there's a lot of ambiguity here. Hence, eliminate (E)
GMAT Club Bot
When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec   [#permalink] 19 May 2020, 19:10

When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne