GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 08:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

When they try to arrange a collection to form a history

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.58
GMAT ToolKit User
When they try to arrange a collection to form a history  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2016, 11:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (01:00) correct 10% (01:29) wrong based on 189 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When they try to arrange a collection to form a history, museum curators, unlike textbook writers, are limited to the works they possess.

A) curators, unlike textbook writers, are limited to the works they

B) curators, unlike textbook writers' limitations, depend on the works they

C) curators are limited to the availability of works, unlike textbook writers, that they

D) curator's limitations restrict them to works that they, unlike textbook writers,

E) curators are limited to the works, which they, unlike textbook writers,
Math Expert
V
When they try to arrange a collection to form a history  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 00:10
subhamgarg91 wrote:
When they try to arrange a collection to form a history, museum curators, unlike textbook writers, are limited to the works they possess.

C) curators are limited to the availability of works, unlike textbook writers, that they

D) curator's limitations restrict them to works that they, unlike textbook writers,

hi subhamgarg91 in ref to your pm,

whenever we use THAT as a relative pronoun, it generally restricts the NOUN we are talking about..
But whenever the removal of THAT does not alter the meaning, THAT can be omitted..
This sentence is one such case..
they possess are also modifying/refering to 'works'..

But if a sentence says-
When they try to arrange a collection to form a history, museum curators, unlike textbook writers, are limited to the works that are validated in the history books.
you cannot drop that here

another example where THAT can be dropped
Mr X said that he was going to the market

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.58
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When they try to arrange a collection to form a history  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 00:31
chetan2u wrote:
subhamgarg91 wrote:

hi subhamgarg91 in ref to your pm,

whenever we use THAT as a relative pronoun, it generally restricts the NOUN we are talking about..
But whenever the removal of THAT does not alter the meaning, THAT can be omitted..
This sentence is one such case..
they possess are also modifying/refering to 'works'..

But if a sentence says-
When they try to arrange a collection to form a history, museum curators, unlike textbook writers, are limited to the works that are validated in the history books.
you cannot drop that here

another example where THAT can be dropped
Mr X said that he was going to the market

Hi Chetan2u,

Thanks for the explaination.
Can you provide me the link where this rule is explained in detail?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 12:59
Can someone explain to me when a pronoun has a clear antecedent and when it doesn't? The rules for pronouns in this regard are very vague to me.

The correct answer uses a pronoun, they, which can refer to textbook writers, or the subject (museum curators). For this reason,I chose the answer E. Although E is not perfect (GMAT standards of brevity and fluency), it does not commit a pronoun error and hence in my eyes is the correct answer.

Can someone please explain
1) why E is incorrect (maybe the which needs to be a that)
2) When they can be used and clearly refer to one antecedent when multiple of them are clearly present. Please do not simply mention that pronouns always refers back to the subject, because I have seen problems where the pronouns actually refer to modifiers and other subjects.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 13:12
Answer should be A.

Like to like comparison in A

In E - which they makes the sentence unnecessarily wordy.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 19:15
My question still has not been answered. Can anyone provide some insight?
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 21:32
r0ckst4r wrote:
Can someone explain to me when a pronoun has a clear antecedent and when it doesn't? The rules for pronouns in this regard are very vague to me.

Hi r0ckst4r, pronoun ambiguity should not be a reason to eliminate an option in the first place. In A actually, the pronoun usage is very decent:

- textbook writers is the Noun-subject of one clause
- they is the Pronoun-subject of the other clause

From a pure parallelism/symmetry perspective, a Pronoun-subject of one clause can be considered to refer to Noun-subject of another clause.

Hence, they can be considered to refer to textbook writers.

In any case, GMAT is quite liberal, when it comes to pronoun ambiguity.

r0ckst4r wrote:
why E is incorrect

The intended meaning is that textbook writers have access to an almost unlimited information, while museum curators are limited by the works they possess. So, clearly, textbook writers are at an advantage.

E says: ....curators are limited to the works, which they, unlike textbook writers, they possess.

This is basically suggesting that museum curators possess works that textbook writers don’t! So, option E is actually suggesting as if textbook writers are at some kind of a disadvantage (because they don’t possess those works). Hence, it distorts the meaning.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Pronoun ambiguity, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 18:22
EducationAisle wrote:
r0ckst4r wrote:

Hi r0ckst4r, pronoun ambiguity should not be a reason to eliminate an option in the first place. In A actually, the pronoun usage is very decent:

- textbook writers is the Noun-subject of one clause
- they is the Pronoun-subject of the other clause

From a pure parallelism/symmetry perspective, a Pronoun-subject of one clause can be considered to refer to Noun-subject of another clause.

Hence, they can be considered to refer to textbook writers.

In any case, GMAT is quite liberal, when it comes to pronoun ambiguity.

r0ckst4r wrote:
why E is incorrect

The intended meaning is that textbook writers have access to an almost unlimited information, while museum curators are limited by the works they possess. So, clearly, textbook writers are at an advantage.

E says: ....curators are limited to the works, which they, unlike textbook writers, they possess.

This is basically suggesting that museum curators possess works that textbook writers don’t! So, option E is actually suggesting as if textbook writers are at some kind of a disadvantage (because they don’t possess those works). Hence, it distorts the meaning.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Pronoun ambiguity, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks for the explanation! I forgot to check the most important rule - illogical meaning. The meaning of E is completely incorrect. In the end I think the GMAT may be liberal with pronoun references, but the best answer choice is always relative. (Thats what being the best means right?). In this question, they could have referred to textbook writers, but it was strongly implied to refer to the subject given the structure of the sentence. Furthermore, it is clearly the best answer as we can rule our (E) for changing the intended meaning of the sentence.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 05:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: When they try to arrange a collection to form a history &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jul 2018, 05:03

When they try to arrange a collection to form a history

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap