It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 04:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

8 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2015
Posts: 8
2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 10:32
8
This post received
KUDOS
29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:27) correct 27% (01:54) wrong based on 1622 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found that people who bought tickets to individual plays had a no-show rate of less than 1 percent, while those who paid in advance for all ten plays being performed that summer had a no-show rate of nearly 30 percent. This may be at least in part because the greater the awareness customers retain about the cost of an item, the more likely they are to use it.

Which of the following would, if true, best serve as an alternative explanation of the results of the study?

(A) The price per ticket was slightly cheaper for those who bought all ten tickets in advance.
(B) Many people who attended the theater festival believed strongly that they should support it financially.
(C) Those who attended all ten plays became eligible for a partial refund.
(D) Usually, people who bought tickets to individual plays did so immediately prior to each performance that they attended.
(E) People who arrived just before the performance began could not be assured of obtaining seats in a preferred location.

I think this classifies as weaken. Asked in a weird way.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2015
Posts: 147
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 23:31
i dont think it is a weaken question.it simply states an alternate explanation.If ppl usually bought their ticket before the show,the chances of them showing up is much higher as seen from the <1% stat.So it gives an alternate explanation as to y the no show rate was less than 1%. One reason was cost and the other is the above explanation.
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1269
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 00:53
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
manojsundar1 wrote:
i dont think it is a weaken question.it simply states an alternate explanation.If ppl usually bought their ticket before the show,the chances of them showing up is much higher as seen from the <1% stat.So it gives an alternate explanation as to y the no show rate was less than 1%. One reason was cost and the other is the above explanation.


Hello manojsundar1

We have conclusion states that reason is A and we add another reason B but both reason can be present. What does it mean? It means that we don't destroy conclusion but weaken it because we add another possible reason. This is what answers on weaken questions usually do.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2015
Posts: 147
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 01:36
Harley1980
I am still not convinced that the conclusion has been clearly stated.
In the last sentence,it is clearly mentioned"This may be at least in part because the greater the awareness customers retain about the cost of an item, the more likely they are to use it"
Note the part in Bold.It has given a part of the explanation and Hence not the Conclusion.The question is asking for the other part that could explain the results of the study.
hence,i dont think its a weaken question
what do you think?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1269
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 04:06
manojsundar1 wrote:
Harley1980
I am still not convinced that the conclusion has been clearly stated.
In the last sentence,it is clearly mentioned"This may be at least in part because the greater the awareness customers retain about the cost of an item, the more likely they are to use it"
Note the part in Bold.It has given a part of the explanation and Hence not the Conclusion.The question is asking for the other part that could explain the results of the study.
hence,i dont think its a weaken question
what do you think?


Yep, looks like you right: this bold part is really weird.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2009
Posts: 107
GMAT Date: 12-03-2014
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 04:19
Weaken or not, clearly we are required to select an option which will give an alternate explanation of the result. Just like in Weakening questions we are required to bring in info/provide another reason for the the same result.
Ans is clearly D .
Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 241
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 21:33
8
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found that people who bought tickets to individual plays had a no-show rate of less than 1 percent, while those who paid in advance for all ten plays being performed that summer had a no-show rate of nearly 30 percent. This may be at least in part because the greater the awareness customers retain about the cost of an item, the more likely they are to use it.

Which of the following would, if true, best serve as an alternative explanation of the results of the study?

(A) The price per ticket was slightly cheaper for those who bought all ten tickets in advance.
(B) Many people who attended the theater festival believed strongly that they should support it financially.
(C) Those who attended all ten plays became eligible for a partial refund.
(D) Usually, people who bought tickets to individual plays did so immediately prior to each performance that they attended.
(E) People who arrived just before the performance began could not be assured of obtaining seats in a preferred location.



EMPOWERgmat Enhanced Explanation:

Type: Weaken (asked in a rather creative manner)
Boil It Down: Awareness of cost -> More likely to use
Missing Information: An alternative cause
Goal: This question is asking us for an alternative cause to the one given, and is there by asking us to effectively weaken the explanation given. One particularly obvious explanation has to do with when these different groups by tickets. The farther in advance, the greater the chance that something might come up.

This is a 180 option. If the package includes a slight discount, then that would further reinforce the explanation given that the awareness of cost is to blame. The more expensive, the more likely they are to attend, and vice versa.

This option raises a factor that’s applicable to both the individual ticket purchasers and the 10 pack purchasers, and thus provides no alternative explanation.

Another 180 option. This option says that those who ATTEND ALL 10 plays become eligible for a partial refund; therefore, this option would provide a rationale for people to attend ALL of the plays. We need an alternative rationale as to why they didn’t attend all 10 plays. As an aside, if they have to attend all 10 to then be eligible for a partial refund, I’m not exactly sure what they’d be refunded for since they've already gone, but nonetheless, this option definitely doesn’t give us an alternative cause.

Here we go. This option explains that those who purchase tickets to attend individual plays are right there and ready to watch the show. Well, that definitely explains why individual show purchasers have an attendance rate that is so much higher. These are people who are there, and ready to watch that particular play right then.

The seat people are sit in doesn’t clearly appear to be linked to no-show rates. Additionally, this option actually doesn’t specify which type of ticket holder the option is referring to: single or 10 pack holders? In that sense this option is a wash.
_________________

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2013
Posts: 44
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2015, 07:48
EMPOWERgmatMax wrote:
A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found that people who bought tickets to individual plays had a no-show rate of less than 1 percent, while those who paid in advance for all ten plays being performed that summer had a no-show rate of nearly 30 percent. This may be at least in part because the greater the awareness customers retain about the cost of an item, the more likely they are to use it.

Which of the following would, if true, best serve as an alternative explanation of the results of the study?

(A) The price per ticket was slightly cheaper for those who bought all ten tickets in advance.
(B) Many people who attended the theater festival believed strongly that they should support it financially.
(C) Those who attended all ten plays became eligible for a partial refund.
(D) Usually, people who bought tickets to individual plays did so immediately prior to each performance that they attended.
(E) People who arrived just before the performance began could not be assured of obtaining seats in a preferred location.



EMPOWERgmat Enhanced Explanation:

Type: Weaken (asked in a rather creative manner)
Boil It Down: Awareness of cost -> More likely to use
Missing Information: An alternative cause
Goal: This question is asking us for an alternative cause to the one given, and is there by asking us to effectively weaken the explanation given. One particularly obvious explanation has to do with when these different groups by tickets. The farther in advance, the greater the chance that something might come up.

This is a 180 option. If the package includes a slight discount, then that would further reinforce the explanation given that the awareness of cost is to blame. The more expensive, the more likely they are to attend, and vice versa.

This option raises a factor that’s applicable to both the individual ticket purchasers and the 10 pack purchasers, and thus provides no alternative explanation.

Another 180 option. This option says that those who ATTEND ALL 10 plays become eligible for a partial refund; therefore, this option would provide a rationale for people to attend ALL of the plays. We need an alternative rationale as to why they didn’t attend all 10 plays. As an aside, if they have to attend all 10 to then be eligible for a partial refund, I’m not exactly sure what they’d be refunded for since they've already gone, but nonetheless, this option definitely doesn’t give us an alternative cause.

Here we go. This option explains that those who purchase tickets to attend individual plays are right there and ready to watch the show. Well, that definitely explains why individual show purchasers have an attendance rate that is so much higher. These are people who are there, and ready to watch that particular play right then.

The seat people are sit in doesn’t clearly appear to be linked to no-show rates. Additionally, this option actually doesn’t specify which type of ticket holder the option is referring to: single or 10 pack holders? In that sense this option is a wash.



Hi,

i didn't understand the question.

Individual plays no show rate is very low less than 1 %, however those who paid in advance for 10 plays, their no show rate is around 30% which is higher.

Now the cause given in the question is that the more awareness about the cost of an item, people will use it. I quite didn't understand how is this linked to the no show rates.
_________________

Kindly support by giving Kudos, if my post helped you!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 241
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 12:25
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
harishbiyani8888 wrote:
Hi,

i didn't understand the question.

Individual plays no show rate is very low less than 1 %, however those who paid in advance for 10 plays, their no show rate is around 30% which is higher.

Now the cause given in the question is that the more awareness about the cost of an item, people will use it. I quite didn't understand how is this linked to the no show rates.

Hi harishbiyani8888,

I'd be happy to help. The argument is presenting one explanation as to why the no-show rates, BUT we're asked to find an option that offers an alternative explanation. D provides an alternative: if the people who buy tickets to single plays do so right before the play, they're right there and ready to go, whereas those who purchased tickets well in advance might be more inclined to miss a play since they might be preoccupied.
_________________

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Posts: 584
Location: United States (LA)
Reviews Badge
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2016, 13:04
option B and E out of scope options
option A and option C talks completely opposite of what is asked
so correct answer - D
5 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 642
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 06:02
5
This post received
KUDOS
Answer is D

See this analogy

First Case :- You are going to Times Square to attend a protest against demolition of poor people's houses by a big construction corporation who want to build a hotel by demolishing the poor neighbourhood. But first you need to pee urgently. Your bladder is about to burst. You need to pee at any cost. Suddenly you see a pay and use Toilet-Facility on your right hand side of the road. You run to it and pay 10 cent , go inside and pee.
What are the chances that you will not pee after seeing the toilet or after paying for the 10 cent ticket. very less..

Another case:- Your parents have given you 20 MacDonald Coupons for happy hour valid for one whole year. What are the chances that you will use all of them. Not as high as the urgent "I need to pee" case.

IN this question :- You reach theatre at the last minute. You shout at the clerk at the box office:- "Hey man has the show started". He says "its about to start in 2 minutes". You say "Give me a ticket and you run inside to grab a seat." You are unlikely to miss a show that you have come to see at the last minute, with the sole purpose of watching it.

This is what option D is saying. It is presenting to us a validly different reason why single ticket buyers don't miss the show.

(D) Usually, people who bought tickets to individual plays did so immediately prior to each performance that they attended.

Now people who have booked the show in advance 2 months before are more likely to miss the show because they might forget about the show. Might get busy in work. Might get some other important work to be done at the same time as the show starts. Might get injured, might leave the city and thus are NOT able to attend the show.
SUCH A THING WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO A PERSON WHO IS AT THE THEATRE JUST BEFORE THE SHOW STARTS AND THEREFORE A PERSON WHO BUYS A TICKET IMMEDIATELY PRIOR TO EASH SHOW DOES NOT MISS THAT SHOW.





notwithstanding wrote:
A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found that people who bought tickets to individual plays had a no-show rate of less than 1 percent, while those who paid in advance for all ten plays being performed that summer had a no-show rate of nearly 30 percent. This may be at least in part because the greater the awareness customers retain about the cost of an item, the more likely they are to use it.

Which of the following would, if true, best serve as an alternative explanation of the results of the study?

(A) The price per ticket was slightly cheaper for those who bought all ten tickets in advance.
(B) Many people who attended the theater festival believed strongly that they should support it financially.
(C) Those who attended all ten plays became eligible for a partial refund.
(D) Usually, people who bought tickets to individual plays did so immediately prior to each performance that they attended.
(E) People who arrived just before the performance began could not be assured of obtaining seats in a preferred location.

I think this classifies as weaken. Asked in a weird way.

_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 108
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 05:28
notwithstanding wrote:
A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found that people who bought tickets to individual plays had a no-show rate of less than 1 percent, while those who paid in advance for all ten plays being performed that summer had a no-show rate of nearly 30 percent. This may be at least in part because the greater the awareness customers retain about the cost of an item, the more likely they are to use it.

Which of the following would, if true, best serve as an alternative explanation of the results of the study?

(A) The price per ticket was slightly cheaper for those who bought all ten tickets in advance.
(B) Many people who attended the theater festival believed strongly that they should support it financially.
(C) Those who attended all ten plays became eligible for a partial refund.
(D) Usually, people who bought tickets to individual plays did so immediately prior to each performance that they attended.
(E) People who arrived just before the performance began could not be assured of obtaining seats in a preferred location.

I think this classifies as weaken. Asked in a weird way.


Can someone please explain option "B". People attended the theater festival believed that they should support it financially. But people who didnot attend may not have thought to support it financially. So that could be reason for the people not attending the fair.
_________________

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jan 2016
Posts: 217
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 05:46
Doesn't option B also give an alternative explanation saying people don't care about the money, they just wanted to support the theatre financially? Any suggestions? I was between option B and D and chose B.
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 261
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 12:36
pra1785 wrote:
Doesn't option B also give an alternative explanation saying people don't care about the money, they just wanted to support the theatre financially? Any suggestions? I was between option B and D and chose B.


Hey pra1785 and sumanainampudi

My thoughts below regarding option B

What do we need to find out?
- we need to find an alternative cause for why no show rates were lower for those who bought tickets for individual plays than for those who bought tickets for 10 shows in advance

Now look at option B. Does answer the above question? no! It doesn't answer anything with regards to the no show rates.

Hope this helps :-)
_________________

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Sep 2016
Posts: 24
CAT Tests
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 11:52
This may be at least in part because the greater the awareness customers retain about the cost of an item, the more likely they are to use it.??
what is meant by these lines? its total bouncer to me. please help :cry:
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2455
Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 12:23
Quote:
This may be at least in part because the greater the awareness customers retain about the cost of an item, the more likely they are to use it.??
what is meant by these lines? its total bouncer to me. please help


This just means that people who are paying for individual tickets retain the information about the cost of each play, whereas those who purchase tickets for 10 plays altogether may not.

-Rajat
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Re: 2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2018, 12:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

2016 OG: A study of ticket sales at a summer theater festival found th

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.