Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [60]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6271 [7]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2220 [2]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [8]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 430 to 710 (Q47, V41) Cornerstone for Success [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
There are no emojis to express how happy this makes me, dcummins! I'll try anyway: :inlove: :clap: :-D :)

Naw, that doesn't quite do the trick.

Holy crap, you've now reached the pantheon of GMAT Club members who have BATTLED LIKE CRAZED CROCODILES for months and months and months, and finally got to that 700+. I love it! Tagging this for the "best debriefs" collection, because sometimes pain and persistence is what this is all about.

(And your timing is hilarious: I just discussed your situation with one of my tutors earlier today, and we talked about cooking up a private verbal lesson for you based on what we know about you from GMAT Club. I wish I was making that up.)

Huge, huge congratulations! If you're ever anywhere near Denver, Colorado, dinner and/or a whole lot of beer is on me.

Congratulations again!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats man! Hard work pays off. Good luck with your applications and keep us posted about your next steps.

Make sure to enjoy the weekend! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [1]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulation bro. :) Finally you did it. :D I know what you have gone through, I am really happy for you! All the best
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [2]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow. Congratulations @dccumins! Great to see your debrief and a great ending to a story, a Christmas present and proof that anything is possible if you really want it! Just awesome!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :cool:

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [2]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
dcummins wrote:
Guys, i'm on the train heading home. I'm on a high...Finally. FINALLY! 710!

HUGEEEEE Congratulations man!

I told you : No matter what, you know you did your best.

I haven't been the part of your entire journey but I did play my small role :)

Party Hard!

And as Charles said, if you end up being in the USA, we can have some good time in Denver.

GMATNinja looks like we meeting in Denver is almost inevitable. We just have to see when we can work it out :tongue_opt3
Attachments

Congratulations-new-job-clipart-3.jpg
Congratulations-new-job-clipart-3.jpg [ 674.19 KiB | Viewed 19305 times ]

Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nice work, Dan.

It has been so fun working with someone who has been so down for making it happen and so willing to use streaks, psychology, and whatever else to drive his score higher.

What a game!

:please
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 615
Send PM
dcummins wrote:

Back in February of 2017 I took a diagnostic and scored 430.
My official scores then went like this (as per my sig)
560 (Q41, V26)
550 (Q43, V23)
650 (Q47, V33)
650 (Q44, V36)
650 (Q48, V31)
600 (Q38, V35)
710 (Q47,V41)

I can't believe it. So many thanks to give, so few words that my dehydrated,and malnourished brain can process right now..

I really need to make a few quick mentions.

MartyTargetTestPrep , ScottTargetTestPrep and JeffTargetTestPrep really changed my life for the better man.

Marty and I interacted in particularly interacted on a daily basis after crippling blow after blow. Marty man, I can't thank you enough. Your sophisticated methods, your advice to not get riled up and not let things phase me, your willingness to take sessions with me under the circumstances i've been under. Seriously I can't thank you enough.

Marty has been the cornerstone of my success in this whole journey and he has taught me so much about myself, psychology and critical thinking.

Scott - man I can't thank you enough for TTP. After using the Verbal content for TTP Verbal, I know it's going to kick ass as much or more than Quant.

Jeff - same goes to you man. I know there were times I'd ask you the same question again and again lol... and you still took the time to chat over the phone and stay calm.

I'm going to write a more elaborate post, but I need to also thank Neil Lukatch, who was introduced to me by Jeff, and Jesse Whelan (Sydney based), who was introduced to me by a friend I made after attending a GMAT session one time.

Neil is a great bloke. He is a master of the arts of grammar, and logical reasoning. Neil really tweaked me methods of thinking about SC and taught me the foundations and advancements of grammar that I never had.

I was introduced to Jesse late in my prep and worked with Jesse and Marty towards my final leg. Jesse introduced me to the Leitner Card system - this really really really helped me bring it all together. Jesse' advised me to undertake some BRUTAL methods - I did TWO exams back-to-back in one evening, finishing after 12am. Jesse helped bring it all together.

I also need to thank this community and a few members in particular:
@EMPOWERgmat - Rich, thank you for your course. In my early days with prep It did help me quite a lot.
GMATNinja - Charles, thanks so much for your detailed posts and explanations. I'll sift through many posts, often it'll be a case of the blind leading the blind, until I get to yours.

More to come. I'm getting off my train soon.

dcummins Congratulations :) .. glad that you finally made it.
I must admit you are a true inspiration, your story makes me work hard.
I will be glad if you can share what strategies you used this time, it will be really helpful to me as I will be taking gmat in 10 days.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [6]
Given Kudos: 137
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Hi man, I have never personally interacted with you but I have seen numerous posts by you here and there on this forum. I always tend to look at the number of attempts you have taken listed just below your profile picture whenever I view any of your posts.

I always wondered how can a man have such resilience, such drive, to take one blow after another. Finally, you did it!

You are an inspiration! So happy for you :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
Send PM
:-D :-D :-D dcummins Congratulations mate :blushing :blushing :blushing :blushing :blushing :blushing. Handwork and dedication always pays off. You deserve it. You define perseverance.I have my exam next month on 28th Jan.Gonna give my all.Best of luck for your Admissions. Take a break. You have earned it :) :) :) :)
Own Kudos [?]: 22043 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I’m so proud of you Dan!! You are an inspiration to this entire GMAT Club community! I think that 999 of 1,000 people probably would have folded after your last GMAT, and you had the determination to keep going. So again, congrats and now you can breath easy, my friend, the GMAT IS DONE!!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
I’m so proud of you Dan!! You are an inspiration to this entire GMAT Club community! I think that 999 of 1,000 people probably would have folded after your last GMAT, and you had the determination to keep going. So again, congrats and now you can breath easy, my friend, the GMAT IS DONE!!

Well said. The chances of turning it around after six attempts a very very slim. It’s one thing to get a 710 on your first shot but it’s another to get it on your seventh.... you should be very proud of yourself man! :thumbup:

IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [1]
Given Kudos: 214
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Inspirational! Congrats dcummins for 710! I am in for GMAT from past 6-7 months or so and still way below the dream score. I can feel what you would have gone through during your journey. Many times i get down, lose hopes and sometimes even think that i am not even suitable for it. But debriefs here keep me motivated. Today i got from yours! thanks for that. All the best for applications!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [0]
Send PM
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
Dan,

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU MAN!! I just checked, and you and I first spoke on June 8th, 2018. So, although your total journey has been longer, since I've known you, you've been cranking out GMAT prep for 559 days!! Your story should be motivation to all GMAT test takers out there.

Now, go out and celebrate; you deserve it!!

Thanks again my man! Will eventually meet you guys one day! Couldn't have done it without your continued support and TTP.

gmat1393 wrote:
Congrats dcummins on 710!

your story is definitely an inspiration for everyone on the GMAT club!

All the best for your apps.

Thank you so much! This means a lot to me.
I know what its like to want to give up and throw in the towel. I went back to back to back 650, then a terrible 600. I was done for it. The 710 surprised me. I was more prepared than I knew.

GMATNinja wrote:
There are no emojis to express how happy this makes me, dcummins! I'll try anyway: :inlove: :clap: :-D :)

Naw, that doesn't quite do the trick.

Holy crap, you've now reached the pantheon of GMAT Club members who have BATTLED LIKE CRAZED CROCODILES for months and months and months, and finally got to that 700+. I love it! Tagging this for the "best debriefs" collection, because sometimes pain and persistence is what this is all about.

(And your timing is hilarious: I just discussed your situation with one of my tutors earlier today, and we talked about cooking up a private verbal lesson for you based on what we know about you from GMAT Club. I wish I was making that up.)

Huge, huge congratulations! If you're ever anywhere near Denver, Colorado, dinner and/or a whole lot of beer is on me.

Congratulations again!

Thanks Charles. 100%

Man, I can't recall a time when I've truly enjoyed myself over the last few years while studying. I sacrificed weekends in the office for months on end. I forwent relationships, social outings, business opportunities etc. for the long game and it really did pay off.

Thank you so much for that consideration as well, I really appreciate it. It's people such as yourself who students look up to and rely on for guidance and a sense of community.

For sure. I will definitely hit you up if I'm anywhere near Denver!
TheNightKing wrote:
dcummins wrote:

HUGEEEEE Congratulations man!

I told you : No matter what, you know you did your best.

I haven't been the part of your entire journey but I did play my small role :)

Party Hard!

And as Charles said, if you end up being in the USA, we can have some good time in Denver.

GMATNinja looks like we meeting in Denver is almost inevitable. We just have to see when we can work it out :tongue_opt3

For sure my man! Thank you for your kind messages and great memory haha It was nice to receive a 'good luck' message the day before, especially when not many people knew about it!
VP
VP
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Nice work, Dan.

It has been so fun working with someone who has been so down for making it happen and so willing to use streaks, psychology, and whatever else to drive his score higher.

What a game!

:please

Thanks again MartyTargetTestPrep man. You were in my corner the whole match. It's been fun and as they say 'the journey, not the end, is what matters'. I'm not the man I was when I started this journey. The person I've become is completely different. My mental acuity, my character, my perspective on how to react and how NOT to react to situations, my outlook on life has changed.

I became so subconsciously jaded and bitter after continuous defeat, but I had but all given up and I can really thank you and your time with me, particularly the tutoring sessions we had.

Priyanka2018 wrote:
dcummins Congratulations :) .. glad that you finally made it.
I must admit you are a true inspiration, your story makes me work hard.
I will be glad if you can share what strategies you used this time, it will be really helpful to me as I will be taking gmat in 10 days.

Thankyou Priyanka2018, its very kind of you to say. I know what its like. Just get it done. GO in telling yourself 'NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS I"M GOING TO WALK OUT KNOWING I GAVE THIS MY ALL' - and be honest with yourself.

Just review flash cards and call it an early day the day before - seriously this helped me tremendously.

willacethis wrote:
Hi man, I have never personally interacted with you but I have seen numerous posts by you here and there on this forum. I always tend to look at the number of attempts you have taken listed just below your profile picture whenever I view any of your posts.

I always wondered how can a man have such resilience, such drive, to take one blow after another. Finally, you did it!

You are an inspiration! So happy for you :)

lol Man I can't tell you how many times I wanted to give up. Everything in my life was strained to the breaking point or had broken in some regard: relationships, health (i was getting sick from the stress lol), family, finances especially.

Don't give up. Come up for air when you think you're about to blow, then get back in. If you don't know something now then you will figure it out. I'm living proof of that.

rohan911 wrote:
:-D :-D :-D dcummins Congratulations mate :blushing :blushing :blushing :blushing :blushing :blushing. Handwork and dedication always pays off. You deserve it. You define perseverance.I have my exam next month on 28th Jan.Gonna give my all.Best of luck for your Admissions. Take a break. You have earned it :) :) :) :)

Thanks man!

bb wrote:
Wow. Congratulations @dccumins! Great to see your debrief and a great ending to a story, a Christmas present and proof that anything is possible if you really want it! Just awesome!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :cool:

Thanks bb ! I was actually considering doing a more structured video debrief and breakdown of how I got there. I will need to figure out how though, but I think it'll help a lot of people. If I could do my time again, I'd do it different.

bb wrote:
Well said. The chances of turning it around after six attempts a very very slim. It’s one thing to get a 710 on your first shot but it’s another to get it on your seventh.... you should be very proud of yourself man! :thumbup:

This was LITERALLY my last attempt. The next time I'm able to take a test is June 2020 LOL and I don't want to wait that long for b.school, so I wouldn't have applied. MAN when I say this was it, IT WAS IT. KAPISH

fauji wrote:
Inspirational! Congrats dcummins for 710! I am in for GMAT from past 6-7 months or so and still way below the dream score. I can feel what you would have gone through during your journey. Many times i get down, lose hopes and sometimes even think that i am not even suitable for it. But debriefs here keep me motivated. Today i got from yours! thanks for that. All the best for applications!

Thanks so much my friend! Go at it with the mentality that anything is possible. If you don't know something you will. We are all capable of scoring 700+ the only question is WHEN.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Dan,

That's OUTSTANDING news (and your picture should probably be placed next to the word 'determination' in the dictionary!)! I know how much of a challenge this whole process has been and how much time and energy that you have put towards it - and I'm really happy for you that you were able to hit your Goal Score!

What are your current application plans? With a 710/Q47, you can comfortably apply to any Schools that interest you!

Rich
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank you! I would love to take you up on that video debrief offer. Perhaps we can do a debrief and a quick Q&A? I will ping you via PM over the holidays.

Merry Charismas :-)

VP
VP
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Dan,

That's OUTSTANDING news (and your picture should probably be placed next to the word 'determination' in the dictionary!)! I know how much of a challenge this whole process has been and how much time and energy that you have put towards it - and I'm really happy for you that you were able to hit your Goal Score!

What are your current application plans? With a 710/Q47, you can comfortably apply to any Schools that interest you!

Rich

Thanks Rich

bb wrote:
Thank you! I would love to take you up on that video debrief offer. Perhaps we can do a debrief and a quick Q&A? I will ping you via PM over the holidays.

Merry Charismas :-)

100% I was going to make a video about methods of studying etc. so I'll save the debrief type content for you and I. Sounds good!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts