GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

660 (V38-Q43) in first attempt.Ran Out of time. Retake strategy please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Quant   Verbal   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
660 (V38-Q43) in first attempt.Ran Out of time. Retake strategy please  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 07:50
Hi folks,

I took the GMAT test on 15th November after 2 months of preparation. Took five GMAT mocks and got the following scores:
GMAT Mock 1 - 540(Q37, V27) (July 2018 without preparation)
GMAT Mock 2 - 670(Q47, V35) (October 2018 during initial prep)
GMAT Mock 3 - 680(Q47, V35)(")
GMAT Mock 4 - 720(Q49,V39) (Final few days of preparation)
GMAT Mock 5 - 720(Q50,V38) November 14 - a day before the finale

Official GMAT score - 660(Q43,V38, IR-3, AWA-4.5)

Though I was aware of the uncertainties of the final exam day, the mock scores had boosted my confidence a little. But on the exam day, by the time I finished my quant section(the first section I opted for), I was almost sure that the final score screen wouldn't show a score anywhere close to 700. That was because I panicked at the 22nd question, with only 7 minutes left, and the section timed out before I could mark the answer for the final question.

I had prepared for the exam solely by following 9 of the Manhattan Prep guides for concept and the Official Guide in its entirety for practice. I also used to review all the questions which I got wrong during the practice.

After a month's break, I have decided to retake the test and I am aiming for a 720+. I feel that there is a lot of scope of improvement in many areas and the ESR has helped me a little in identifying them(not able to attach the esr since this is my first post). However, I still am not very sure about the approach that I should take to get my aimed score. I am afraid that I might end up losing my focus if I follow the same approach and same materials for the retake. I am also worried that if I do not focus equally on both quant and verbal, I might get a better score on quant but a lower one on verbal.

Please guide me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Re: 660 (V38-Q43) in first attempt.Ran Out of time. Retake strategy please  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 07:43
learner311
please check the pacing strategy for GMAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWrUiBT83PQ

I think strategy will help in keeping calm during exam
B
Reviews Badge
Re: 660 (V38-Q43) in first attempt.Ran Out of time. Retake strategy please  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 01:32

~
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 05:50
learner311 wrote:
Hi folks,

I took the GMAT test on 15th November after 2 months of preparation. Took five GMAT mocks and got the following scores:
GMAT Mock 1 - 540(Q37, V27) (July 2018 without preparation)
GMAT Mock 2 - 670(Q47, V35) (October 2018 during initial prep)
GMAT Mock 3 - 680(Q47, V35)(")
GMAT Mock 4 - 720(Q49,V39) (Final few days of preparation)
GMAT Mock 5 - 720(Q50,V38) November 14 - a day before the finale

Official GMAT score - 660(Q43,V38, IR-3, AWA-4.5)

Though I was aware of the uncertainties of the final exam day, the mock scores had boosted my confidence a little. But on the exam day, by the time I finished my quant section(the first section I opted for), I was almost sure that the final score screen wouldn't show a score anywhere close to 700. That was because I panicked at the 22nd question, with only 7 minutes left, and the section timed out before I could mark the answer for the final question.

I had prepared for the exam solely by following 9 of the Manhattan Prep guides for concept and the Official Guide in its entirety for practice. I also used to review all the questions which I got wrong during the practice.

After a month's break, I have decided to retake the test and I am aiming for a 720+. I feel that there is a lot of scope of improvement in many areas and the ESR has helped me a little in identifying them(not able to attach the esr since this is my first post). However, I still am not very sure about the approach that I should take to get my aimed score. I am afraid that I might end up losing my focus if I follow the same approach and same materials for the retake. I am also worried that if I do not focus equally on both quant and verbal, I might get a better score on quant but a lower one on verbal.

Please guide me.

Hi learner311,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Looking at your Mock scores, you do appear prepared for your test. You just need to focus a bit on your timing specially in Quant. If you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practice tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the Quant review for some great additional practice.

Hope this helps. All the best.
B
Reviews Badge
660 (V38-Q43) in first attempt.Ran Out of time. Retake strategy please  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 08:28
Thanks rohan2345. I recently started practicing GMAT CLUB Math book v3 and realized that I am not able to solve a single 700+ level question. But I am glad that I am getting to know new concepts and the areas where I am lagging. Will try to improve upon them before the retake.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. It really helped :)

~
GMAT Club Bot
660 (V38-Q43) in first attempt.Ran Out of time. Retake strategy please   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2018, 08:28

660 (V38-Q43) in first attempt.Ran Out of time. Retake strategy please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics