Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 23 Jul 2019, 04:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

750...is there hope at all for a non-extracurricular Indian??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
750...is there hope at all for a non-extracurricular Indian??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 06:26
I got a 750 last week.I was really happy and hopeful.I saw Spiderverse and Aquaman back to back on the same day.Then I came home slept well.I thought maybe a 20% chance at Harvard,but definitely a chance at the top-10 in US.

I got up the next day and opened accepted profiles at the top US ones.It was a joke really.I DONT HAVE A CHANCE at the top ones without solid extra curricular.Even if I get an 800 its probably useless.I am an IIT pass out(not the new ones).Profile=oil & gas field work(Drilling rigs and stuff).work ex 6yrs

Did anybody get into the top ones in US without solid extracurriculars..?

I was reading some of the extracurricular activities.One said "raised 15000$ for some association".Is it really true.Are people really into all of that, or do they do that just for a shot at an MBA admit..?Thats not to say I am cruel or don't have a heart..

I myself am a little passionate.Im a little idealistic in that when I see poor people I donate liberally.Other than that I never really saw the need to go out of the way and do NGO work and the likes.I just keep thinking, in general that is, to do the good stuff as and when I can.

Please suggest something somebody.Should I stop thinking about applying to the top ones in US...?

Thanks in advance guys

Now because of the above mentioned reasons I am giving my GMAT again.Though not sure if I can improve from 750(98 percentile) to 760/760+(99 percentile)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: 750...is there hope at all for a non-extracurricular Indian??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 13:52
Hi redskull1,

First off, a 750/Q50 is an outstanding score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is NOT necessary. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though - and when dealing with highly-competitive Schools such as Harvard, it's important to have a strong OVERALL profile and you have to make sure to properly "market yourself" to each individual Program that you apply to. Since you already have the proper GMAT Score, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 20:52
redskull1 wrote:
I got a 750 last week.I was really happy and hopeful.I saw Spiderverse and Aquaman back to back on the same day.Then I came home slept well.I thought maybe a 20% chance at Harvard,but definitely a chance at the top-10 in US.

I got up the next day and opened accepted profiles at the top US ones.It was a joke really.I DONT HAVE A CHANCE at the top ones without solid extra curricular.Even if I get an 800 its probably useless.I am an IIT pass out(not the new ones).Profile=oil & gas field work(Drilling rigs and stuff).work ex 6yrs

Did anybody get into the top ones in US without solid extracurriculars..?

I was reading some of the extracurricular activities.One said "raised 15000$ for some association".Is it really true.Are people really into all of that, or do they do that just for a shot at an MBA admit..?Thats not to say I am cruel or don't have a heart..

I myself am a little passionate.Im a little idealistic in that when I see poor people I donate liberally.Other than that I never really saw the need to go out of the way and do NGO work and the likes.I just keep thinking, in general that is, to do the good stuff as and when I can.

Please suggest something somebody.Should I stop thinking about applying to the top ones in US...?

Thanks in advance guys

Now because of the above mentioned reasons I am giving my GMAT again.Though not sure if I can improve from 750(98 percentile) to 760/760+(99 percentile)
Look at it this way: when most of your competition is applying with excellent GMAT scores, you will have to work harder to stand out. This is to be expected at the top schools. Your 750 puts you in a good position to apply as far as your GMAT score is concerned. However, your GMAT score (even the one you are aiming for now) can only take you so far.

If you are sure that you want to take the GMAT again, just make sure that the exam does not take a disproportionate amount of your time. That is, don't put all your time into something that will give you only incremental gains when what you (possibly) need is major improvements in the other parts of your application.
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 11:13
Hi redskull1,

First off, nice job with the 750! Regarding your profile, I’d suggest reaching out to one of the many admissions consultants here on GMAT Club to get some further advice.

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 750...is there hope at all for a non-extracurricular Indian??   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2019, 11:13

750...is there hope at all for a non-extracurricular Indian??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep