Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Re: 770 gmat but 2.2 undergrad gpa [#permalink]
One relevant question would be - is your GPA really 2.2 on a 4 point scale, or are you doing a conversion from another scale?

If it really is 2.2, I would like to say that this is something that would need explanation (in your application that is). Although the high GMAT will mitigate the effects to a certain extent, the low GPA effect will be felt.

In a slightly lower ranked school, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

ggurface wrote:
Does this high GMAT allow adcom to overlook my 2.2 gpa? How will this look in the eyes of a third party? I have great stories to explain why I did so poorly in undergrad - I was more interested in making $ in a small business that a friend and I started, and playing sports/working out.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: 770 gmat but 2.2 undergrad gpa [#permalink]
AugustAcademy wrote:
One relevant question would be - is your GPA really 2.2 on a 4 point scale, or are you doing a conversion from another scale?

If it really is 2.2, I would like to say that this is something that would need explanation (in your application that is). Although the high GMAT will mitigate the effects to a certain extent, the low GPA effect will be felt.

In a slightly lower ranked school, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

ggurface wrote:
Does this high GMAT allow adcom to overlook my 2.2 gpa? How will this look in the eyes of a third party? I have great stories to explain why I did so poorly in undergrad - I was more interested in making $ in a small business that a friend and I started, and playing sports/working out.

Rounding up, my GPA is actually 2.3 on a 4.0 scale. To my credit, I studied hard courses in electrical engineering at a top 15-20 program worldwide. But I have no excuses. I dicked around in undergrad and didn't care much for school or grades, and now I am reaping what I sow.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
770 gmat but 2.2 undergrad gpa [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi there,

While the above advice on the optional essay is a great tip, and one we endorse, you want to give the AdComm something that causes them to have confidence in your future ability. What's to say that you won't revert back to prioritizing making money and working out as an MBA student? Rationalizing and sharing your mistake as an undergraduate is important, but the key is going to be what you learned from that experience and why you are convinced you won't make the same mistake again.

To dig a bit further, how many years of work experience do you have? Do you feel that you need to get an MBA now or can you wait a year? If you can wait, you might want to consider developing an alternative transcript. Taking 2-3 business courses and acing them shows the AdComm your serious, and assuming that you have the other components of your candidacy in a great spot, this might give you a chance at some of the higher ranked schools.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your application!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CriticalSquare wrote:
Hi there,

While the above advice on the optional essay is a great tip, and one we endorse, you want to give the AdComm something that causes them to have confidence in your future ability. What's to say that you won't revert back to prioritizing making money and working out as an MBA student? Rationalizing and sharing your mistake as an undergraduate is important, but the key is going to be what you learned from that experience and why you are convinced you won't make the same mistake again.

To dig a bit further, how many years of work experience do you have? Do you feel that you need to get an MBA now or can you wait a year? If you can wait, you might want to consider developing an alternative transcript. Taking 2-3 business courses and acing them shows the AdComm your serious, and assuming that you have the other components of your candidacy in a great spot, this might give you a chance at some of the higher ranked schools.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your application!

Hi, thanks for the response(s).

My official score came out today, still a 770 with 8.0 in IR and 6.0 in AWA.

I have been out of school for 1.5 years and currently work as a tech consultant at a major Canadian bank doing risk modelling for the treasury dept. I work closely with my boss and feel that he would give me a strong reference. I also have about 1.5 years of work experience in the form of 4 independent and non-school-sponsored internships.

My original plan was to start school next September, which would put me at 2.5 years of work experience + 1.5 years of internships. I have already pushed-back my plan by at least one year, which would give me 3.5 years of post-grad work experience at matriculation.

I think taking a couple courses is an interesting option for me, but I still cannot guarantee that I would do well in those courses... I work really well when I am intrinsically motivated by a target and for me to ace those business courses, I would need to convince myself that acing those courses will result in completing my end-goal of obtaining a top tier MBA.

Edit: just looked at my transcript and it is interesting to say the least.. I have a couple failed courses and a bunch of 50s. I also did really well in second year, making the deans honour's list. My calculus mark went from 50 to 92 from first year calc to second year calc. I minored in business and seem to have done okay in those courses, averaged about a B (3.0) in those six courses. I would definitely say that business courses engaged and interested me more than engineering courses. I did not put in any more effort in business classes - in fact, I probably studied less for accounting/finance/marketing classes than engineering classes because the former were intuitively much easier for me.

Overall, I have demonstrated to Adcomm the ability to, although very inconsistently, do well in quant courses and business courses. I did not get straight Cs and Bs only. There was one year out of my undergrad where I got mostly As and other high marks. Is this enough to quell Adcom's potential worry about my academic performance?
GMAT Club Bot