Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [32]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Re: 790 (Q51, V51) Debrief with Various Tips [#permalink]
Hi JK,
Very happy to read your debrief. Thanks for sharing.
My GOAL also is the same :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
jk451 wrote:
I took the GMAT today and scored 790 (Q51, V51). Since I read some stuff on this forum from time to time, I wanted to give tips I found useful. I will focus on answering the questions I was trying to answer when starting to prepare for GMAT three months ago. If there are any other things that you'd like to know, let me know.

OK, on with the de-brief...

Resources I used to prepare
-Official Guide for GMAT Review 2016 (called here OG16 I suppose)
-Official GMAT Verbal Review (mainly because I mismanaged time and had too much time during Christmas and wanted to practice to keep in shape)
-GMATPrep software from MBA.com, including the Exam Pack 1 for $50 (cost me 33 GBP with taxes)
-Manhattan GMAT guides: Sentence Correction, Number Properties and Word Problems. Out of those three only the Sentence Correction guide I'd recommend buying without even thinking about it if you need to improve in SC.
-MGMAT CATs (included with each MGMAT guide)
-Manhattan GMAT test simulation booklet (so as not to get shocked by the laminated things you need to use in the exam)

How I prepared

1. Took GMATPrep practice test 1 to see where I stand and where I need to improve the most. As written elsewhere, in my experience nothing predicts your GMAT score as well as performance on the GMATPrep tests. Some people write it's a waste of a test to do one straight before you have dony any studying, but I don't agree. It's very useful in giving you as accurate prediction as possible about where you should focus your efforts. Not doing GMATPrep at the start to me is the same as trying to restructure a company when you don't know what the current problems are. You can buy 2 extra GMATPrep tests for like $50, so you have 4 tests altogether ($50 is good spend if it can save you week or more of effort).
2. Based on GMATPrep Test 1 + some questions on OG16 + MGMAT CAT 1, I determined I need to study up on Sentence Correction (I am not a native English speaker), and then refresh Quant a bit.
3. I read the whole Manhattan GMAT SC guide, which did help me quite a lot. I am not the best in remembering arbitrary rules, but through reading the guide and then doing the CATs I managed to remember the most important ones.
4. I skipped doing any prep for CR and RC and just did the hardest 1/3 of the questions in OG16 to confirm I was right in that assessment, and I was - I got success rates of 80-90%, so didn't really do anything more there.
5. For quant I quickly flipped through MGMAT Number Properties & World Problems, but after that just did OG questions + CATs to learn all the gotchas (of which there were quite a few).
6. After all that I just did the MGMAT CATs + at the end GMATPrep CATs to confirm.

On the topic of Manahattan GMAT CATs
In my experience MGMAT CATs underestimated my score consistently by ~40 points and the questions, if you are doing relatively well, are harder than on GMATPrep. On top of that, a small percentage of the questions in Verbal (maybe 10%) is plain wrong, in that none of the answers (including the one given as the correct answer) really make sense. I am saying this not to critize the tests (they are in fact really good in terms of preparing you for the real thing), but merely as points to bear in mind when you are analyzing your test performance. For example I was unhappy that I'd always get 4-5 CR + RC questions wrong, but analyzed the questions in depth and concluded I don't need to do any extra prep for CR and RC because the questions had problems. That saved me from wasting time (on GMATPrep 2,3 and 4 I got 0,1 and 0 verbal questions wrong respectively).

The thing MGMAT CATs are really good at, maybe even better than GMATPrep, is in teaching you how to manage time - because even if you are really good you don't stand a chance of answering every single question, you have to learn to let go of a question after you run out of the 2/2:30/3 mins that you can spend on it, and you have to learn to manage your cumulative time well. More on time management below.

Strategy - Time Management
THE topmost important part of strategy in my experience is time management. Honestly you can be as good as you want in both quant and verbal, but if you waste 6 mins on a single question that you in the end fail to answer correctly, and then another 6 mins, and then you have 1 min/question left for the last 12 questions, nothing will save your performance. That's how it felt to me. So I have sort of 2 rules that I came up with:

Rule #1: Never get more than 3 minutes behind the target time (e.g. on quant if I've done 10 questions so far, I should have at least 75-10*2-3 = 62 minutes left). Getting too far behind as described above is basically impossible to recover from (in my view).

Rule #2 (helps to execute so that rule #1 is observed): If you are beyond 2:30 of time spent on a question, and don't have extra time to spare, then guess and let go. I had to do this on MGMAT CATs from time to time, very rarely on GMATPrep or real GMAT (although happened once or twice on real GMAT). One thing I'd say is to apply obvious judgment to this. If you have 10 questions on Verbal and 30 minutes to go before you've been fast on the previous questions, then 3 minutes per question is fine - maybe even 3:30. So long it's not getting you into a time deficit.

Tip: MGMAT CATs allow you to export your timing information question by question to Excel. This allows you to make a detailed timing analysis, such as chart your time deficit (optimal cumulative time taken - actual cumulative time taken) as you go through the test, which I found very useful in debugging my timing problem. An example of the sheet is attached to the post.

Caffeine Corner :)
Maybe less useful, but for me as important as other stuff: On the exam day (and on the mock CAT days) I always get myself caffeine-loaded. By that I mean I have one 350ml (the bigger can for people in the US) Red Bull and a coffee/coke. I did this for GMAT and before this for all the 3-hour continuous exams I took at Cambridge and I think it's always done well for me, because while it doesn't generate extra knowledge in my head, it for sure makes me faster and also makes me notice and not forget many important details. That being said, for these things to have maximum effect I normally drink coffee only twice a week (so I don't get tolerant) - not really sure how much I'd pick up tolerance if I drunk coffee once every day, but for important exams I want to avoid doubt.

Congrats on achieving a great fit. Your debrief is very helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
God...then what does one need for a 800? 52 out of 51:(.

Can you let me know how much you scored in each of your four GMATPreps?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Sure I added a screenshot of the spreadsheet with all my GMAT CAT scores if that helps
Attachments

File comment: GMAT mock CAT scores
2016-01-19 GMAT CAT scores.jpg
2016-01-19 GMAT CAT scores.jpg [ 55.92 KiB | Viewed 24304 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
jk451 wrote:
Sure I added a screenshot of the spreadsheet with all my GMAT CAT scores if that helps

Ha, MGMAT is brutal right? I remember getting my first MGMAT CAT result...very different from the the nice warm fuzzy feeling from my GMAT Prep CAT! Scary that your second MGMAT was worse than your first. I'm taking my second this weekend, I'll have to steel myself for the results.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
It's amazing that you did not score 51 in Quant in any of your 4 GMATPrep tests, but scored a 51 in Quant on the final exam.

That's called power packed performance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Kelzie01 wrote:
jk451 wrote:

Ha, MGMAT is brutal right? I remember getting my first MGMAT CAT result...very different from the the nice warm fuzzy feeling from my GMAT Prep CAT! Scary that your second MGMAT was worse than your first. I'm taking my second this weekend, I'll have to steel myself for the results.

Yeah like I wrote above, MGMAT CATs are really useful to prepare both content-wise and strategy wise, but I wouldn't get depressed if your score is ~40 below what you expect. The second MGMAT CAT was way worse because I really messed up on the timing, apart from doing it after a lack of sleep on Saturday night. I had like 1 min/question left for the last 10-14 questions in both Q and V, which basically meant I had to a guess a lot of questions towards the end.

PrijitDebnath wrote:
It's amazing that you did not score 51 in Quant in any of your 4 GMATPrep tests, but scored a 51 in Quant on the final exam.

That's called power packed performance!

I think the 1 point is quite random. In the last GMATPrep I had 3 questions wrong and had Q50. So I am guessing 51 allows maybe 1 question wrong at most, or something like that. Either way, I think whether one gets 1 or 2 questions wrong out of 37 in Q is pretty random... You just need to miss 1 little detail and that's it, it's not like you really performed differently ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Send PM
Am I the only one that is amazed with the fact that you were able to score a 760 cold with no preparation? That's a 99th percentile score before you even open a book. In all seriousness, what is the point of doing prep at that point? Your score may go up or down 10 points, but you're still at 99%ile.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Adz25 wrote:
Am I the only one that is amazed with the fact that you were able to score a 760 cold with no preparation? That's a 99th percentile score before you even open a book. In all seriousness, what is the point of doing prep at that point? Your score may go up or down 10 points, but you're still at 99%ile.

Yes I did think about this - in retrospect I don't think it was a bad decision to do some prep, but I wish I did it in about the half amount of time and amount of practice, i.e. I realized I probably used this a bit as an excuse to procrastinate in a comfy area. However, some prep I think was useful, because when I went through the first test result, for which the Verbal score was the big lift, I realized there were so many places in SC where I just took a guess out of 2 options I saw equally viable and happened to hit the right one, so I was suspecting I got a bit lucky. Hence I figured doing a bit of prep would be good, but yes, I've already torn my hair apart because of the fact I took so long on it...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
For all the talk about timing strategy, sounds like you didn't need to use any after all. ;)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HiLine wrote:
For all the talk about timing strategy, sounds like you didn't need to use any after all. ;)

I did... I used it even the first time, but didn't have it as formalized and crystal clear. In fact the time management section is the most useful part of the post since I think it's generally applicable to most people.

And I didn't come up with it magically - the (Computer Science) exams at Cambridge are quite similar in terms of how important time management is (alongside being good with the material).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
jk451 wrote:
HiLine wrote:

I did... I used it even the first time, but didn't have it as formalized and crystal clear. In fact the time management section is the most useful part of the post since I think it's generally applicable to most people.

And I didn't come up with it magically - the (Computer Science) exams at Cambridge are quite similar in terms of how important time management is (alongside being good with the material).

I came to that conclusion because your timing strategy revolves around guessing on questions that you see yourself spending too much time on. But from your score, I deduce that you did not have to guess on very many questions. :)
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
790 (Q51, V51) Debrief with Various Tips [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Incredible score, jk451! Did you ever order your ESR? I'm curious to see whether you answered all 58 counted questions correctly, or whether you received 1-2 wrong on Quant, which usually still yields a perfect Q51 (but could explain why you received a 790 instead of a perfect 800).

It is certainly odd to receive perfect 51/51 scores on each sub-section, but "only" a 790 composite, and I'm trying to get at the heart of this mystery. Any information you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Incredible score, jk451! Did you ever order your ESR? I'm curious to see whether you answered all 58 counted questions correctly, or whether you received 1-2 wrong on Quant, which usually still yields a perfect Q51 (but could explain why you received a 790 instead of a perfect 800).

It is certainly odd to receive perfect 51/51 scores on each sub-section, but "only" a 790 composite, and I'm trying to get at the heart of this mystery. Any information you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Trolling a July 2016 discussion? I think the OP has a job by now :roll:
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
It's not my intent to "troll" anyone, and I'm offended by that insinuation. What is your justification for drawing this conclusion?

I'm simply trying to collect more information as to how a perfect score on both Quant and Verbal can yield a 790 composite instead of an 800. Yes, this post is almost 2 years old, and the OP is probably on to business school / work experience by now, but I figured why not ask?

ESRs are good for 5 years after the date of the test. OP: if you're reading this, then I will happily pay the $25 to see your ESR.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
mcelroytutoring wrote:
It's not my intent to "troll" anyone, and I'm offended by that insinuation. What is your justification for drawing this conclusion?

I'm simply trying to collect more information as to how a perfect score on both Quant and Verbal can yield a 790 composite instead of an 800. Yes, this post is almost 2 years old, and the OP is probably on to business school / work experience by now, but I figured why not ask?

ESRs are good for 5 years after the date of the test. OP: if you're reading this, then I will happily pay the $25 to see your ESR.

Great! You have a question to the user who is unlikely to reply, please use the PM button and speak directly to the user.
The issue with bumping an 18 month old thread is that you know it is 18 months but the person seeing your replies thinks it is a fresh topic and starts engaging in a conversation with ghosts.

P.S. you can see on the profile that the OP has not visited since July 2016 https://gmatclub.com/forum/members/member-542082.html
They will be unlikely to notice your reply.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts