GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 21:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Considering the necessity for a new benchmarking policy, Brownstone In

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Select the correct answer choice

You may select 1 option
TAGS:

Hide Tags

e-GMAT Representative
G
Considering the necessity for a new benchmarking policy, Brownstone In  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Oct 2017, 23:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:34) correct 58% (01:49) wrong based on 640 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A 700+ Level Question:

Considering the necessity for a new benchmarking policy, Brownstone Inc assessed an innovative methodology to monitor its competitors’ progress, compare market behaviors, and indicate whether it should conduct routine surveys of companies in other markets.

A. to monitor its competitors’ progress, compare market behaviors, and indicate
B. monitoring its competitors’ progress, compared market behaviors, and indicated
C. to monitor its competitors’ progress, and it compared market behaviors indicating
D. monitoring its competitors’ progress and comparing market behaviors indicating
E. to monitor its competitors’ progress and compare market behaviors, indicating

(Select the correct option from the above poll)

e-GMAT Sentence Correction Webinar:
How was the above question? This is a brand new question from e-GMAT. :)

For more such questions and to learn the infallible 3-step process of e-GMAT to solve GMAT SC questions, attend our Free Sentence Correction Webinar on 07 December 2014 at 7 AM PST (8:30 PM IST).

What will you learn in this webinar?

1. Importance of Meaning: How to leverage meaning to solve 700+ level Sentence Correction questions.

2. Achieving >90% accuracy: How to leverage sentence structure and meaning to achieve 90% accuracy.

3. Identifying where to improve: Are you unable to reach the V40 mark? Learn how grammatically correct answer choices can still be incorrect.

When is this webinar?

The webinar will take place on 07 Dec 2014 (Sunday) at 7 AM PST (8:30 PM IST).

How to attend this webinar?

To be able to attend this webinar, simply register here. All you need is a computer and an internet connection to attend the webinar at the above mentioned time.

See you in the session!
Cheers,
The e-GMAT Team.

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Originally posted by egmat on 05 Dec 2014, 04:18.
Last edited by Mahmud6 on 17 Oct 2017, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Re: Considering the necessity for a new benchmarking policy, Brownstone In  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 06:53
Hi e-gmat,

Please confirm who is the subject of verb "to indicate". If we select option A, Brownstone Inc becomes the subject of the verb "to indicate" as it is of verbs "to monitor" and "to compare". This structure doesn't make sense to me. Brownstone Inc intends to get an indication and not give it through use of some innovative technology. I chose option E.
Kindly explain.
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Considering the necessity for a new benchmarking policy, Brownstone In  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 07:49
Considering the necessity for a new benchmarking policy, Brownstone Inc assessed an innovative methodology to monitor its competitors’ progress, compare market behaviors, and indicate whether it should conduct routine surveys of companies in other markets.

Methodology to
1) Monitor
2) Compare
3) indicate

A. to monitor its competitors’ progress, compare market behaviors, and indicate -> Looks good

B. monitoring its competitors’ progress, compared market behaviors, and indicated
Monitoring modifies methodology as it is a verbing modifier without a comma
compared and indicated -> doesn't make sense

C. to monitor its competitors’ progress, and it compared market behaviors indicating - Usage of it is incorrect.
Methodology to monitor, to compare -> is correct.

D. monitoring its competitors’ progress and comparing market behaviors indicating
Verbing modifier without a comma will modify the nearest noun so indicating is modifying behaviors -> which is incorrect

E. to monitor its competitors’ progress and compare market behaviors, indicating
-> No grammatical issue but meaning issue
The Brownstone accessed methodology by indicating X
comma + verbing modifier should modify the complete previous clause which is illogical

In fact if we see it properly
The Independent clause is " Brownstone Inc assessed an innovative methodology" others are all modifiers

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 11:21
Classic e-GMAT stuff!!
Let me crack the nut-
B ,C and D straight out
E uses indicating to modify the previous clause ncorrectly.
A makes sense.
Oa plz

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 02:18
desaichinmay22 wrote:
Hi e-gmat,

Please confirm who is the subject of verb "to indicate". If we select option A, Brownstone Inc becomes the subject of the verb "to indicate" as it is of verbs "to monitor" and "to compare". This structure doesn't make sense to me. Brownstone Inc intends to get an indication and not give it through use of some innovative technology. I chose option E.
Kindly explain.

I agree with your choice and explanation. Experts-can you please help?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Management Consulting (Insurance)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 03:03
Hello e-gmat team ,

Thanx for posting a nice question on the forum. Unfortunately, I marked the option E and not A. But I am not able to get properly what is the subtle change in meaning between A and E. :( How "indicating" is making the sentence illogical. Pls explain !!

The Mind is everything . What you think you become. - Lord Buddha

Consider giving KUDOS if you appreciate my post !!

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2014, 01:14
Thanks everyone for posting your analysis! Here is the detailed solution for this question.

Meaning Analysis
• Considering the necessity for a new benchmarking policy,
• Brownstone Inc assessed an innovative methodology to
o monitor its competitors’ progress,
o compare market behaviors,
o and indicate
• whether it should conduct routine surveys of companies in other markets.

This sentence talks about an innovative methodology that Brownstone Inc evaluated while it was thinking over the necessity of a new benchmarking policy. This innovative methodology can do the following things:
1) monitor the progress of the company’s competitors.
2) compare the market behaviors.
3) indicate whether there is any need to conduct routine surveys of companies in other markets.

Error Analysis

1) The opening Verb-ing modifier “considering…” correctly refers to the subject of the following clause “Brownstone Inc”.
2) The ‘to + verbs’ “to monitor”, “(to) compare” and “(to) indicate” perfectly describe the purpose of the company behind assessing this new methodology.
3) All the above three elements of the list are parallel to each other. “To” is understood before “compare” and “indicate”.
4) The second clause “whether it should….” correctly presents the situation, which has only two possible outcomes.
5) There is no error in the given sentence. It is correct as is.

Process of Elimination

Option A:
Correct:
This choice has no errors as shown in the error analysis.

Option B:
Incorrect:
1) This choice incorrectly makes the company the subject of the verbs “compared” and “indicated.” According to the intended meaning conveyed in the original sentence, the methodology would be used to do three things: monitor, compare and indicate. So, this choice distorts the intended meaning.

Option C:
Incorrect:
Like choice B, this choice also distorts the parallel list of the original sentence, introducing the following errors:
1) This choice presents “compared” and “assessed” as entities of a parallel list. This changes the intended meaning. According to the intended meaning of the original sentence, the action presented by “compare” should be parallel to “monitor” and “indicate”.
2) Also, the Verb-ing Modifier “indicating” incorrectly modifies “market behaviors”.

Option D:
Incorrect:
1) The meaning that the purpose of the new methodology is to monitor, to compare and to indicate is lost in this sentence.
2) This choice has the same modifier error as in choice C.

Option E:
Incorrect:
The Comma + Verb-ing Modifier “indicating” incorrectly modifies the preceding clause. It conveys the meaning that “indicating” describes how the company assessed the innovative methodology. This meaning error leads to a distortion in the intended meaning of the sentence.

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 10:50
I still dont understand why E is illogical. Obviously if one says that the 3 parallel things are monitor,compare and indicate then definitely A makes sense but how can we say that E is illogical ??

A company can monitor and compare which probably would indicate whether it should go ahead or not.....

Can we really have such close answer choices in real GMAT which are logically and grammatically correct?? If yes then how can we know what is the exact meaning of the sentence??
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 13:25
atom wrote:
I still dont understand why E is illogical. Obviously if one says that the 3 parallel things are monitor,compare and indicate then definitely A makes sense but how can we say that E is illogical ??

A company can monitor and compare which probably would indicate whether it should go ahead or not.....

Can we really have such close answer choices in real GMAT which are logically and grammatically correct?? If yes then how can we know what is the exact meaning of the sentence??

I also thought in the same way.. Hi E-Gmat, Can you please explain why A is logically better than E because a company should monitor and compare something to indicate whether any idea should be implemented or not.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 16:10
Hi atom,

Before I resolve your confusion, I would like to take the liberty of changing the word "indicate" to "decide" as this word fits better in the context of this e-GMAT sentence. This edit has not been yet made in the original sentence but will be done soon. The solution will also updated accordingly.

Meaning per Choice A

So per the original sentence, Brownstone Inc. evaluated an innovative methodology to:
1. monitor its competitors' progress,
2. compare market behaviors, and
3. decide whether it should conduct routine surveys of companies in other markets.

Discussion on Meaning of Choice A vs. Other Choices.

Now let's talk about the importance of the original sentence in setting up the context and conveying the intended meaning. See, the original sentence just does not provide us with one of the five answer choices. It presents all the information to be taken into consideration for the sake of solving the problem, the context, and the intended meaning.

If the meaning conveyed by the original sentence is logical, then we have no basis to doubt that meaning because all the information and the context come from the original sentence. So we MUST maintain that logical meaning in the correct answer choice.

Choice A - always correct meaning?

Now the question arises: does the original sentence always convey the logical meaning? The answer to the question is no, the original sentence may or may not always convey the logical meaning. But it certainly conveys the intended meaning and presents the context for the same. In case the meaning conveyed by the original sentence is not logical, then through the thorough analysis of each and every answer choice, we select that one answer choice that conveys the logical intended meaning in correct grammatical manner.

Meaning from Choice A and Other Choices - Possible Cases

So there can be the following situations that we may face:

1. If the original sentence conveys the intended meaning in logical as well as grammatical way, then Choice A becomes the correct answer for that SC problem.
2. If the original sentence conveys the intended meaning logically but through ungrammatical structure, then we select the answer choice that conveys the same logic in correct grammar.
3. If the meaning conveyed by the original sentence makes no sense, then we analyze all the answer choices thoroughly and select the one that conveys the logical meaning through correct grammar.

Back to the Question in Discussion

Since this e-GMAT sentence conveys the intended meaning in logical and grammatical way, we will go with Choice A. But most definitely, we will evaluate all the other choices so that we reject them on solid grounds. Please bear in mind that if any other grammatically correct answer choice even slightly differs from the meaning conveyed by the original sentence, then that difference amounts to change in meaning. Any answer choice, no matter how grammatical it may be, is NOT considered the correct answer choice if it changes the intended logical meaning conveyed by the original sentence.

Meaning Communicated by Choice E

This is the reason why Choice E for this e-GMAT sentence is incorrect. Let's first understand what is the meaning we get from Choice E. According to Choice E, Brownstone Inc. evaluated a certain process to monitor its competitors' progress and compare market behaviors. Use of comma + deciding modifier suggests that as a result of "comparing" market behaviors, the company will decide whether it should conduct routine surveys of companies in other markets.

Choice E conveys a logical meaning in correct grammar. But is this logic the same as that conveyed by Choice A. No, it is not. Choice E now establishes a causal relationship which is not present in the original sentence. Hence, Choice E changes the intended meaning of the sentence and, although grammatical, stands incorrect.

Please note that we will be editing the original explanation of choice E in a bit. So thank you for raising your doubt!

Hope this helps. :-)
Shraddha

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 19:18
egmat,

thanks for the explanation above. I have been thinking about what cases could come up in SC questions:

Can there be a case in which:
a. 4 options are grammatically and logically incorrect, hence we pick an option that changes the intended meaning of the sentence?
To elaborate, the original sentence although grammatically incorrect provides a meaning that can be understood but in the answer choices there are no options that are grammatically correct and hold that meaning. There is only one option that is grammatically correct and is logical (but different meaning).

In this case, we cannot just eliminate an answer because it changes the meaning. correct?

I mean to ask whether change in meaning is a solid reason to eliminate answers confidently? I am asking this question because there could be cases as I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Considering the necessity for a new benchmarking policy, Brownstone In &nbs [#permalink] 31 Mar 2018, 19:18

Considering the necessity for a new benchmarking policy, Brownstone In

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap