It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 03:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A box contains three pairs of blue gloves and two pairs of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 854

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A box contains three pairs of blue gloves and two pairs of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 01:23
Bunuel wrote:
arps wrote:
A box contains three pairs of blue gloves and two pairs of green gloves. Each pair consists of a left-hand glove and a right-hand glove. Each of the gloves is separate from its mate and thoroughly mixed together with the others in the box. If three gloves are randomly selected from the box, what is the probability that a matched set (i.e., a left- and right-hand glove of the same color) will be among the three gloves selected?

(A) 3/10
(B) 23/60
(C) 7/12
(D) 41/60
(E) 5/6

Let's calculate the opposite probability of NOT getting a matched set and subtract this value from 1.

This could happen only if we pick all three same hand BLUE gloves; two same hand BLUE gloves and any green glove; or two same hand GREEN gloves and any BLUE glove

BBB: \(\frac{6}{10}*\frac{2}{9}*\frac{1}{8}=\frac{1}{60}\) (after we pick a blue glove, 6/10, then there is 2 same hand gloves left out of total 9 gloves - 2/9, and so on);

BBG: \((\frac{6}{10}*\frac{2}{9}*\frac{4}{8})*3=\frac{12}{60}\), multiplying by 3 as this scenario can occur in 3 different ways: BBG, BGB, GBB;

GGB: \((\frac{4}{10}*\frac{1}{9}*\frac{6}{8})*3=\frac{6}{60}\);

\(P=1-(\frac{1}{60}+\frac{12}{60}+\frac{6}{60})=\frac{41}{60}\).

Answer: D.

hope it's clear.

Dear Bunuel, questions of this type actually give me hell.

I face problems in identifying what is unique or identical and what's not!

Here I at first thought that the socks of the same color and foot were identical, but I don't know if that's true. Then I thought that every pair is unique, which I also don't know. Please help me on how to comprehend questions of this type. How to actually translate and understand what's unique and what's not? VeritasPrepKarishma your inputs are also most welcome.

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 854

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17790 [0], given: 235

Re: A box contains three pairs of blue gloves and two pairs of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 01:43
ShashankDave wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
arps wrote:
A box contains three pairs of blue gloves and two pairs of green gloves. Each pair consists of a left-hand glove and a right-hand glove. Each of the gloves is separate from its mate and thoroughly mixed together with the others in the box. If three gloves are randomly selected from the box, what is the probability that a matched set (i.e., a left- and right-hand glove of the same color) will be among the three gloves selected?

(A) 3/10
(B) 23/60
(C) 7/12
(D) 41/60
(E) 5/6

Let's calculate the opposite probability of NOT getting a matched set and subtract this value from 1.

This could happen only if we pick all three same hand BLUE gloves; two same hand BLUE gloves and any green glove; or two same hand GREEN gloves and any BLUE glove

BBB: \(\frac{6}{10}*\frac{2}{9}*\frac{1}{8}=\frac{1}{60}\) (after we pick a blue glove, 6/10, then there is 2 same hand gloves left out of total 9 gloves - 2/9, and so on);

BBG: \((\frac{6}{10}*\frac{2}{9}*\frac{4}{8})*3=\frac{12}{60}\), multiplying by 3 as this scenario can occur in 3 different ways: BBG, BGB, GBB;

GGB: \((\frac{4}{10}*\frac{1}{9}*\frac{6}{8})*3=\frac{6}{60}\);

\(P=1-(\frac{1}{60}+\frac{12}{60}+\frac{6}{60})=\frac{41}{60}\).

Answer: D.

hope it's clear.

Dear Bunuel, questions of this type actually give me hell.

I face problems in identifying what is unique or identical and what's not!

Here I at first thought that the socks of the same color and foot were identical, but I don't know if that's true. Then I thought that every pair is unique, which I also don't know. Please help me on how to comprehend questions of this type. How to actually translate and understand what's unique and what's not? VeritasPrepKarishma your inputs are also most welcome.

The question gives you clues:

"Each pair consists of a left-hand glove and a right-hand glove."

Shows that the gloves in a pair are distinct - left hand and right hand

"what is the probability that a matched set (i.e., a left- and right-hand glove of the same color)"

A matched set needs to have a left and right hand glove of the same color. That is the only requirement. So all three left hand blue gloves are identical and all three right hand blue gloves are identical. Same for the green gloves.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17790 [0], given: 235

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 82

A box contains three pairs of blue gloves and two pairs of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 04:47
I solved this problem like this,

case 1: 1 Blue Left, 1 Blue right, any green color glove
Probability = (3c1(1 out of 3 blue left) * 3c1 (1 out of 3 blue right) * 4c1(1 out of 4 green gloves)/(10c3) = (3 * 3 * 4)/10c3 = 36/10c3

case 2: 1 Green Left, 1 Green right, any blue color glove
Probability = (2c1 * 2c1 * 6c1)/10c3 = (2 * 2 * 6)/10c3 = 24/10c3

case 3: 2 Blue Left, 1 Blue right OR 1 Blue Left, 2 Blue right
Probability = (3c2 * 3c1)/10c3 + (3c1 * 3c2)/10c3 = (2 * 3 * 3)/10c3 = 18/10c3

case 4: 2 Green Left 1 Green right OR 1 Green Left 2 Green right
Probability = ( 2c2 * 2c1)/10c3 + (2c1 * 2c2)/10c3 = (2 * 1 * 2)/10c3 = 4/10c3

In all above cases, we get a pair of left-right glove of same color.

So Total probability = sum of all above cases = (36 + 24 + 18 + 4)/10c3 = 41/60

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 82

A box contains three pairs of blue gloves and two pairs of   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2017, 04:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

A box contains three pairs of blue gloves and two pairs of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap