Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618817 [16]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 395
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A box has 4 apples and 3 oranges. Robert picks fruits randomly one aft [#permalink]
Hi Bunuel...can you kindly explain this?...IMO there is a line of reasoning potentially pointing to B as the correct answer, but I suspect it is wrong...Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40 (Online)
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: A box has 4 apples and 3 oranges. Robert picks fruits randomly one aft [#permalink]
Kudos
sthahvi wrote:
can someone explain why Pb>Pa

Hi, the answer doesn't imply Pb is definitely greater than Pa. The question asks which of these "could" be true.

In the case where first 2 fruits picked are oranges, Pb = 4/5 which is greater than Pa (= 4/7)

Similarly when first 2 picks are apples then Pb = 2/5 which is less than Pa

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
fall2021 wrote:
sthahvi wrote:
can someone explain why Pb>Pa

Hi, the answer doesn't imply Pb is definitely greater than Pa. The question asks which of these "could" be true.

In the case where first 2 fruits picked are oranges, Pb = 4/5 which is greater than Pa (= 4/7)

Similarly when first 2 picks are apples then Pb = 2/5 which is less than Pa

Bunuel wrote:
A box has 4 apples and 3 oranges. Robert picks fruits randomly one after the other without replacement. Probability of the 1st fruit as apple is \(P_A\) and that of the 3rd fruit is apple is \(P_B\). Which of the following could true?

I. \(P_A>P_B \)

II. \(P_A=P_B\)

III. \(P_A<P_B\)

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

Hey fall2021
Don't you think the case where first two picks are oranges is not valid at all as we are dealing with apples only. So, 1st and 3rd will always be apples.
I think E is answer because 1st(\(P_A = \frac{4}{7}\)) will always be apple and then we have following cases:

1. If 2nd is apple then \(P_B = \frac{2}{5}\)
\(\implies\) \(P_A > P_B\) (\(\frac{4}{7}>\frac{2}{5}\))

2. If 2nd is not apple then \(P_B = \frac{3}{5}\)
\(\implies\) \(P_A < P_B\) (\(\frac{4}{7}<\frac{3}{5}\))

That's why both I and III can be true.

Answer is E then.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40 (Online)
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi, Pa and Pb are not interlinked. So, it's not necessary that while calculating Pb first pick has to be Apple.

The answer works out to be E either way but to calculate highest possible Pb we should consider the case where first 2 picks are oranges.

The question doesn't say Pb is probability of picking Apple in 3rd turn given an apple is picked first. It just defines Pa and Pb as 2 different probabilities.

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
fall2021 wrote:
Hi, Pa and Pb are not interlinked. So, it's not necessary that while calculating Pb first pick has to be Apple.

The answer works out to be E either way but to calculate highest possible Pb we should consider the case where first 2 picks are oranges.

The question doesn't say Pb is probability of picking Apple in 3rd turn given an apple is picked first. It just defines Pa and Pb as 2 different probabilities.

Yes, we can say that and I'm not saying they are interlinked.
But my point was based on "Probability of the 1st fruit as apple is \(P_A\) and that of the 3rd fruit is apple is \(P_B\) ".

The condition "given" is out of question since both are independently mentioned.
Anyway, the question becomes easier when it specifically mentions \(P_A\) and \(P_B\) being probabilities of picking apple only.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
The question doesn't make sense. As I'd interpret it, the third fruit is just as likely to be an apple as the first fruit, if you have no information about the first two selections. So P(A) = P(B) = 4/7. It's just like picking the first card and the third card from a deck of cards. They each have a 1/4 probability of being a diamond.

Since the OA here is E, what the question presumably means to ask is: if P(A) is the probability the first selection is an apple, and P(B) is the probability, after the first two selections have been made, that the third selection is an apple, what could be true? Then P(A) is 4/7, and P(B) is something out of 5, so P(A) cannot be equal to P(B). P(B) can be greater than P(A) if we remove oranges with the first two picks, and otherwise will be less than P(A). But if that's what the question means, it needs to say that -- no mathematician in the universe would interpret this question, as written, in this way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 476
Send PM
vijaykhot wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
A box has 4 apples and 3 oranges. Robert picks fruits randomly one after the other without replacement. Probability of the 1st fruit as apple is \(P_A\) and that of the 3rd fruit is apple is \(P_B\). Which of the following could true?

I. \(P_A>P_B \)

II. \(P_A=P_B\)

III. \(P_A<P_B\)

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

P_A = 4/7
P_B = 3/7 * 2/6 * 4/5 = 4/35 (If the first two fruits are Oranges and the third is an apple)
P_B = 4/7 * 3/6 * 2/5 = 4/35 (If the first two fruits are Apples and the third is an apple)
P_B = 3/7 * 4/6 * 3/5 = 6/35 (If the first fruit is an orange, the second an apple and the third is an apple)
P_B = 4/7 * 3/6 * 3/5 = 6/35 (If the first fruit is an apple, the second an orange and the third is an apple)

For all cases P_A > P_B,
Hence, A.

We don´t multiply propobabilities in P(B) because they are not independent events, correct?
P(B) for all the scenarios described are:
4/5
2/5
3/
3/5
This is to say P(B) is just the probability of the thrid case.
So, you compare the smallest and the largest. 4/7 > 2/5 and 4/7 < 4/5. Hence, answer choice E
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts