Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618618 [32]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618618 [17]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618618 [7]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [4]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Re: A circle has a center at P = (4, 4) and passes through the point (2, [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
radius = distance between center and point = \(\sqrt{(2-(-4))^2+(3-4)^2}\) =\(\sqrt{37}\)

use this distance formula on all the the options they should have same distance. option D. (–3, –2) has the same distance Answer is D.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [3]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: A circle has a center at P = (4, 4) and passes through the point (2, [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
A circle has a center at P = (–4, 4) and passes through the point (2, 3). Through which of the following must the circle also pass?

A. (1, 1)
B. (1, 7)
C. (–1, 9)
D. (–3, –2)
E. (–9, 1)

Kudos for a correct solution.

Since this is a circle, the distance between any point and the radius will always be the same.
Equation of circle is given by formula, (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2 where (h,k) is center of circle.
Hence r^2 = (2+4)^ 2+ (3 - 4)^2
So, r^2 = 37
So, r = sqrt(37)

This should be valid for any other point as well.
Since we use terms like (x-h)^2 and (y-k)^2 i.e. squaring the expression, let us first try the option D because it contains the same numerical values as the point given in the question.
So, r^2 = (-3+4)^ 2+ (-2 - 4)^2
= 37
Hence this is the point on circle.
Hence option D.

--
Optimus Prep's GMAT On Demand course for only $299 covers all verbal and quant. concepts in detail. Visit the following link to get your 7 days free trial account: https://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-on-demand-course
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
The point (–4, 4) is on the line y = –x, so it is equidistant from any point and that point’s reflection over the line y = –x. The reflection of (2, 3) over the line y = –x is (–3, –2). Since (–3, –2) is the same distance from (–4, 4) as is (2, 3), it must also be on the circle. Answer = D.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
A circle has a center at P = (–4, 4) and passes through the point (2, 3). Through which of the following must the circle also pass?

A. (1, 1)
B. (1, 7)
C. (–1, 9)
D. (–3, –2)
E. (–9, 1)

I didn't catch shortcut y = -x, which IS elegant. I'm not a fan of the distance formula.

Start with general formula for a circle:

\((x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2\). Plug in center coordinates:

\((x + 4)^2 + (y - 4)^2 = r^2\). Any point through which the circle passes will give you the radius squared. Plug in given point (2,3)

\((2 + 4)^2 + (3 - 4)^2 = r^2\)
\(6^2 + (-1)^2 = r^2\)
\(36 + 1 = 37 = r^2\)

Don't solve for \(r\) in this problem with this method. You don't need it.

In the answer choices, we need x and y coordinates, that, when plugged into the equation, sum to 37 (satisfy the equation). The circle will pass through that point.

Scanning answer choices, because equation contains +4 and -4 and squares, look for values similar to (2,3) and test them [Answer D's (-3,-2)]. Or do the math for each choice, which is quick when using the circle equation.

A. (1,1): \(5^2 + (-3)^2 = 34\) NO

B. (1,7): \((-3)^2 + 4^2 = 25\) NO

C. (–1, 9): \((-3)^2 + 5^2 = 34\) NO

D. (–3, –2): \((-1)^2 + (-6)^2 = 37\) YES

E. (–9, 1): \((-5)^2 + (-3)^2 = 34\) NO

Answer D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. (1, 1)
B. (1, 7)
C. (–1, 9)
D. (–3, –2)
E. (–9, 1)

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

For this problem, there’s a long tedious way to slog through the problem, and there’s a slick elegant method that gets to the answer in a lightning fast manner.
The long slogging approach — first, calculate the distance from (–4, 4) to (2, 3). As it happens, that distance, the radius, equals \(\sqrt{37}\) . Then, we have to calculate the distance from (–4, 4) to each of the five answer choices, and find which one has also has a distance of \(\sqrt{37}\) —- all without a calculator. :(

The slick elegant approach is as follows. The point (–4, 4) is on the line y = –x, so it is equidistant from any point and that point’s reflection over the line y = –x. The reflection of (2, 3) over the line y = –x is (–3, –2). Since (–3, –2) is the same distance from (–4, 4) as is (2, 3), it must also be on the circle.

Answer = D.

Bunuel
can you explain slick elegant approach in detail
i am not able to understand why the point reflection is equidistant ?
also please explain the line y= -x
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Kudos
:cry: no one is replying
m getting scared of coordinate geometry now
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Psk13 wrote:

Psk13 , if you only ask Bunuel , rest assured that I will never answer. :-) There are legends around here. He is one of them.

Now, if you add, "or anyone," or name a bunch of the other terrific experts, also legendary, you're likely to get an answer. (And if you don't, ask again, exactly as you did.)

Here is a whole post on the elegance of y = x. This very problem is discussed by a GMATclub expert, mikemcgarry:See here, on y = x

And here is Bunuel on coordinate geometry

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Psk13 wrote:

The coordinates given are (-4,4). Here x=-4 and y=4 or y=-x
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
generis wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. (1, 1)
B. (1, 7)
C. (–1, 9)
D. (–3, –2)
E. (–9, 1)

I didn't catch shortcut y = -x, which IS elegant. I'm not a fan of the distance formula.

Start with general formula for a circle:

\((x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2\). Plug in center coordinates:

\((x + 4)^2 + (y - 4)^2 = r^2\). Any point through which the circle passes will give you the radius squared. Plug in given point (2,3)

\(6^2 + (-1)^2 = r^2\)
\(36 + 1 = 37 = r^2\)

Don't solve for \(r\) in this problem with this method. You don't need it.

In the answer choices, we need x and y coordinates, that, when plugged into the equation, sum to 37 (satisfy the equation). The circle will pass through that point.

Scanning answer choices, because equation contains +4 and -4 and squares, look for values similar to (2,3) and test them [Answer D's (-3,-2)]. Or do the math for each choice, which is quick when using the circle equation.

Answer D

Hi generis :)

i understand how you got 37, (37 is what ? :? ) distance ? distance between which points :?

i dont understand where from did you get various values that you plgged in answe6 choices, see below in RED

Also which formula are you using when testing answer choices ? :?

i know this formula

\((x−a)^2\)+\((y−b)^2\) =\(r^2\)

By the way did you try to draw this "A circle has a center at P = (–4, 4) and passes through the point (2, 3)." i drew and it doesnt look lik circle with these :? if center is P = (–4, 4) circle cant pass through (2, 3) , if circle wants to stay a circle and some distorted shape of circle :)
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
generis wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. (1, 1)
B. (1, 7)
C. (–1, 9)
D. (–3, –2)
E. (–9, 1)

Hi generis :)

i understand how you got 37, (37 is what ? :? ) distance ? distance between which points :?

i dont understand where from did you get various values that you plgged in answe6 choices, see below in RED

Also which formula are you using when testing answer choices ? :?

i know this formula

By the way did you try to draw this "A circle has a center at P = (–4, 4) and passes through the point (2, 3)." i drew and it doesnt look lik circle with these :? if center is P = (–4, 4) circle cant pass through (2, 3) , if circle wants to stay a circle and some distorted shape of circle :)

@dave13 : (37 is what ? :? ) distance ? distance between which points :?
37 is the length of the radius, squared.
The radius is the distance between the center of a circle and any point that lies on the circle.
(The length of the radius is \(\sqrt{37}\))

where from did you get various values that you plugged in answer choices?
I wrote the equation for THIS circle first (from the "standard" formula you know).
Then I found the radius using the given point (2,3).
(Try plugging that point into the equation for THIS circle in blue, directly below.)

The equation for THIS circle is \((x + 4)^2 + (y - 4)^2 = r^2\)
Then, in the answers, values I "plugged in" were x- and y-coordinates for the points in the answers.
I just did not show all the steps. I show full steps below for Answers D and A.

You say you know this formula: \((x−a)^2\)+\((y−b)^2\) =\(r^2\)
Excellent. Standard Equation of a circle,* which is used for circles whose centers are NOT at (0,0)
The center is (a,b). The radius is r. (I used the same equation with (h, k).)
That is the formula I used to test the answers.
But you have to modify the Standard Formula to fit this particular circle.

You need a center (given), to find the equation for this particular circle.
You need one point on the circle (given) to find the length of the radius, squared.

Find equation for THIS circle. Plug the center's coordinates (-4,4) into standard circle equation:
\((x - (-4))^2 + (y - 4)^2 = r^2\)
\((x + 4)^2 + (y - 4)^2 = r^2\) - equation for THIS circle

Find the radius.
Any point that lies on the circle will satisfy this equation (will make the equation true).
That point's coordinates will yield the length of the radius, squared.
It is given that (2,3) lies on the circle. Plug in point (2,3):
\((6)^2 + (-1)^2 = r^2\)
\(36 + 1 = 37 = r^2\) OR
\(r = \sqrt{37}\)

The way I solved this problem, you can and should keep the radius's length squared. Why?
Because any other point that lies on the circle has to satisfy the equation, and --
we're squaring everything! The equation gives us \(r^2\).
Why make more work?

To find whether a point is on the circle, I have to plug (x,y) into the equation we found above:
\((x + 4)^2 + (y - 4)^2 = r^2\)
Any point on the circle, when I plug its coordinates into the equation, will yield \(37 = r^2\)

Let's take the other point on the circle, Answer D: (-3, -2). Plug in its coordinates.
The result MUST be \(37 = r^2\)
\((x + 4)^2 + (y - 4)^2 = r^2\)
\((-3 + 4)^2 + (-2 - 4)^2 = r^2\)
\((-1)^2 + (-6)^2 = r^2\)
\(1 + 36 = 37 = r^2\) BINGO
If you want to take the extra step, \(\sqrt{r^2}\), that is fine.

(That step is often used in the distance formula. I'm not a fan of the distance formula.)

Do any of the OTHER answers work? (NO.)
\((x + 4)^2 + (y - 4)^2 = r^2\). Plug in x and y. Result must be 37

• Answer A) point (1,1)?

\((1 + 4)^2 + (1 - 4)^2 = r^2\)
\((5)^2 + (-3)^2 = r^2\)
\(25 + 9 = r^2\)
\(25 + 9 = 34 = r^2\)
\(r^2\) should equal 37. Here, \(r^2\) equals 34.

NO, this point does not lie on the circle.
WRONG RADIUS LENGTH
Length of radius for this point? \(r = \sqrt{34}\)
True length of radius for the circle? \(r = \sqrt{37}\)

Try the other answers. Plug the x- and y-coordinates into the equation.
Do they result in \(r^2 = 37\) or (longer way) \(r = \sqrt{37}\)?

Quote:
By the way did you try to draw this "A circle has a center at P = (–4, 4) and passes through the point (2, 3)." i drew and it doesnt look lik circle with these :? if center is P = (–4, 4) circle cant pass through (2, 3) , if circle wants to stay a circle and some distorted shape of circle

Yes, I did, for this answer.
The circle you describe -- which is indeed a circle -- is attached. :-D
Attachment:
circequation.png
circequation.png [ 49.21 KiB | Viewed 9867 times ]

Hope that helps :-)

*In the equation, the radius is the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle.
Length of Leg1 of that right triangle: (x - a)
Length of Leg 2 of that right triangle: (y - b)
\(Leg1^2 + Leg2^2 = Radius^2\)
The equation for a circle works because x and y create a right triangle with one vertex at the center of the circle.
The equation is a result of the Pythagorean theorem.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Many thanks generis for unique explanation :) one question why did you reduce the font size of the important part of explanation :? :)
its like in contract where the font size is very small of the most important part of contract :)
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
Many thanks generis for unique explanation :) one question why did you reduce the font size of the important part of explanation :? :)
its like in contract where the font size is very small of the most important part of contract :)

:lol: :lol: Agreed about contracts: read the fine print.

I put that which you deem the "most important" part of the explanation in small font because I wasn't sure whether it was the most important part.
It's hard to know how much people do not know.
You said you knew the Standard Formula for a circle.
Whether you knew its basis was unclear.
I dropped a footnote to address the uncertainty and to keep the post as short as I could.

Hint: if you know a formula but do not know why it works or exists, research it. :geek: :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 338
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Radius is 6. Hence for y coordinates, the circle will pass through 4-6=-2 & 4+6=10. Since we have an option with -2 as one of the choices, it certainly is D. Though, there can very well be multiple other y coordinates but -2 will always be true as one of the y coordinates.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. (1, 1)
B. (1, 7)
C. (–1, 9)
D. (–3, –2)
E. (–9, 1)

If (x, y) is also a point on the circle, then the distance between (x, y) and the center of the circle, (-4, 4), is equal to the distance between (2, 3) and (-4, 4). Therefore, we can create an equation using the distance formula for both sides of the equation as follows:

√[(x - (-4))^2 + (y - 4)^2] = √[(2 - (-4))^2 + (3 - 4)^2]

√[(x + 4)^2 + (y - 4)^2] = √[6^2 + (-1)^2]

(x + 4)^2 + (y - 4)^2 = 37

We see that 37 is an odd number, so one of the squares on the left hand side has to be odd and the other is even. That means one of x and y has to be odd and the other has to be even. From the given answer choices, we see that only choice D satisfies this criterion. Therefore, D is the correct answer.

Answer: D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Given: A circle has a center at P = (–4, 4) and passes through the point (2, 3).
Asked: Through which of the following must the circle also pass?

Center (-4,4)
Radius = Distance of point (2,3) from center (-4,4) = \(\sqrt{(2+4)^2 + (3-4)^2} = \sqrt{37}\)

A. (1, 1) : Distance from center = \(\sqrt{(1+4)^2 + (1-4)^2} = \sqrt{34}\)
B. (1, 7) : Distance from center = \(\sqrt{(1+4)^2 + (7-4)^2} = \sqrt{34}\)
C. (–1, 9) : Distance from center = \(\sqrt{(-1+4)^2 + (9-4)^2} = \sqrt{34}\)
D. (–3, –2) : Distance from center = \(\sqrt{(-3+4)^2 + (-2-4)^2} = \sqrt{37}\)
E. (–9, 1) : Distance from center = \(\sqrt{(-9+4)^2 + (1-4)^2} = \sqrt{34}\)

Since point (-3,-2) has the same distance from the center (-4,4), the circle will pass through it.

IMO D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts