GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 04:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A courier company can assign its employees to its offices in such a wa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
A courier company can assign its employees to its offices in such a wa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 02:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:06) correct 57% (01:55) wrong based on 58 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A courier company can assign its employees to its offices in such a way that one or more of the offices can be assigned no employee to all the employees. In how many ways can the company assign four employees to two different offices?

(A) 6
(B) 8
(C) 10
(D) 12
(E) 16

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B
Re: A courier company can assign its employees to its offices in such a wa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 12:43
how many ways can the company assign four employees to two different offices??

A has 2 choices office 1 or office 2
B has 2 choices office 1 or office 2
C has 2 choices office 1 or office 2
D has 2 choices office 1 or office 2

Since this is a dependent Event... you would have to multiply
\(2*2*2*2=16\)
GMATH Teacher
S
A courier company can assign its employees to its offices in such a wa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 14:40
Bunuel wrote:
A courier company can assign its employees to its offices in such a way that at one or more of the offices can be assigned no employee to all the employees. In how many ways can the company assign four employees to two different offices?

(A) 6
(B) 8
(C) 10
(D) 12
(E) 16

Hi, Bunuel ,

I suggest changing the wording (perhaps) to this:

Quote:
A courier company can assign its employees to its offices in such a way that at most one of the offices can be empty (assigned to no employees). In how many ways can the company assign four employees to two different offices?

Reason: the way originally presented, I thought we could let both two offices empty (eventually assigning the employees to other offices).
AvidDreamer09´s solution is coherent to the modification suggested.

Regards,
Fabio.

Fabio Skilnik :: http://www.GMATH.net (Math for the GMAT)
Course release PROMO : finish our test drive till 31/Oct with (at least) 60 correct answers out of 92 (12-questions Mock included) to gain a 60% discount!

Intern
Intern
B
Re: A courier company can assign its employees to its offices in such a wa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 22:33
fskilnik wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
A courier company can assign its employees to its offices in such a way that at one or more of the offices can be assigned no employee to all the employees. In how many ways can the company assign four employees to two different offices?

(A) 6
(B) 8
(C) 10
(D) 12
(E) 16

Hi, Bunuel ,

I suggest changing the wording (perhaps) to this:

Quote:
A courier company can assign its employees to its offices in such a way that at most one of the offices can be empty (assigned to no employees). In how many ways can the company assign four employees to two different offices?

Reason: the way originally presented, I thought we could let both two offices empty (eventually assigning the employees to other offices).
AvidDreamer09´s solution is coherent to the modification suggested.

Regards,
Fabio.

I'm not sure if my thinking is right. I thought that too. I thought both the offices could be empty but I reasoned 3^4 was not part of the answer choices and well it would be a pointless exercise for the management to not allocate any employee to neither of the office. So I considered 2^4

Posted from my mobile device
GMATH Teacher
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 03:18
My answer would be 3^4, too.

Rethinking about the original question stem, now I understand the issue better. The "problem" is that the first sentence does not take into account there are only 2 offices (yet)...

I guess the wording should be changed. My (better) suggestion is the following:

Quote:
In how many ways can a courier company assign four employees to two different offices, if it is possible to have one office empty when all four employees are assigned to the other?

Regards,
Fabio.

Course release PROMO : finish our test drive till 31/Oct with (at least) 60 correct answers out of 92 (12-questions Mock included) to gain a 60% discount!

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 22:46
I don't know if my reasoning is correct here, I'd appreciate the critique.

I solved this problem just like the chocolate distribution problem you see here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-how-many-ways-5-different-chocolates-be-distributed-to-4-children-231187.html

1 room could go to: 1 emp, 2 emp, 3 emp or 4 emp -- 4 ways

2 rooms, so 4*4= 16
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 23:25
Bunuel wrote:
A courier company can assign its employees to its offices in such a way that one or more of the offices can be assigned no employee to all the employees. In how many ways can the company assign four employees to two different offices?

(A) 6
(B) 8
(C) 10
(D) 12
(E) 16

This is how I read this question:

The company has to assign four employees to two different offices. There is no problem if an office has "no employees" or "all employees" or "anything in between".
But the employees HAVE to be assigned to an office.

So each employee has 2 options.
So for 4 employees, we have 2*2*2*2 = 16 options

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

GMATH Teacher
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 04:28
shaarang wrote:
I don't know if my reasoning is correct here, I'd appreciate the critique.

I solved this problem just like the chocolate distribution problem you see here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-how-many-ways-5-different-chocolates-be-distributed-to-4-children-231187.html

1 room could go to: 1 emp, 2 emp, 3 emp or 4 emp -- 4 ways

2 rooms, so 4*4= 16

Hi, shaarang.

In AvidDreamer09´s solution (he certainly meant "INdependent", but I prefer the Fundamental Principle of Counting to justify those multiplications)
and also in Karishma´s solution there is an implicit restriction that any given employee must be assign to exactly one of the two offices.

In your suggestion, it would be
> possible that some employees were assigned to both offices
> possible that some employees were not assigned to any of the 2 offices
> impossible to have an "empty" office (without employees assign to it)

I hope this is "the critique" you asked.

Regards,
Fabio.

GMAT Club Bot
A courier company can assign its employees to its offices in such a wa &nbs [#permalink] 07 Oct 2018, 04:28

A courier company can assign its employees to its offices in such a wa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap