Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [27]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q47  V21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [4]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, Developing Countries
Send PM
Re: A light bulb company produces 2,000 light bulbs per week. The manager [#permalink]
mbaMission wrote:
A light bulb company produces 2,000 light bulbs per week. The manager wants to ensure that standards of quality remain constant from week to week. The manager, therefore, suggests that the company reject 500 of the 2,000 light bulbs it produces each week.

Of the following, the best criticism of the manager’s plan is that the plan assumes that

(A) light bulb manufacturers cannot market every light bulb that they produce
(B) the overall quality of the light bulbs would not be improved if the total number of light bulbs produced were reduced
(C) each light bulb that is reviewed is worthy of being reviewed
(D) it is difficult to judge the quality of a light bulb
(E) the 1,500 light bulbs that are accepted will be of the same quality from week to week

Since this specific answer hasn't been touched on much, can someone help me find out where I have gone wrong in my reasoning?

When I answered this question I chose answer D. I chose it because the criticism I made of the manager's decision before looking at the answers was that '500 is an arbitrary number. Why can't we just test each light bulb on its own merit?'.

Answer D: The managers plan assumes that 'it is difficult to judge the quality of the light bulb' matches that criticism because if it were easy to judge the quality of the light bulbs there would be no problem in testing all of them and not arbitrarily getting rid of 500 light bulbs. That is to say, if it were easy to judge the quality of the light bulb then maintaining standards of quality week to week wouldn't be an issue.

Answer E correctly criticises the manager's assumption that quality would stay the same on a week to week basis just because only 1,500 light bulbs were selected, but doesn't answer the question 'why arbitrarily select 500 light bulbs instead of just testing each one on its own?' The best way to maintain consistency in quality would be to make sure that each light bulb is up to the company's quality standards. And once again, if it were easy to judge the quality of the light bulbs then this would be the best solution to the problem so D is a more encompassing answer than E.

To summarize. If a manager approached me with this plan I wouldn't ask him 'but how will you know that the 1500 you do select will be of the same quality from week to week?' but rather I would ask him 'Why can't we judge each light bulb we produce on its own merit and ensure through those standards that the quality is the same from week to week?'

I hope I've been clear in sharing my thoughts and I definitely appreciate the feedback. Apologies if this turns out to be convuluted.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: A light bulb company produces 2,000 light bulbs per week. The manager [#permalink]
Kudos
A light bulb company produces 2,000 light bulbs per week. The manager wants to ensure that standards of quality remain constant from week to week. The manager, therefore, suggests that the company reject 500 of the 2,000 light bulbs it produces each week.

Of the following, the best criticism of the manager’s plan is that the plan assumes that

(A) light bulb manufacturers cannot market every light bulb that they produce -
nothing related to market is talked about
(B) the overall quality of the light bulbs would not be improved if the total number of light bulbs produced were reduced
this goes against the managers assumption
(C) each light bulb that is reviewed is worthy of being reviewed
nothing talkied about being reviewed
(D) it is difficult to judge the quality of a light bulb
this goes against the managers assumption
(E) the 1,500 light bulbs that are accepted will be of the same quality from week to week
Correct

Only E gives a reason which manager would have assumed and which we can criticize, hence E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: HBS '16
Send PM
dixitraghav wrote:
clearly E is the winner..

(A) light bulb manufacturers cannot market every light bulb that they produce - This is irrelevant because the argument doesn't focus on marketing of light bulb.

(B) the overall quality of the light bulbs would not be improved if the total number of light bulbs produced were reduced - The argument does not talk about improvement of the quality of the bulb but talks about retaining the quality standard of bulb week after week.

(C) each light bulb that is reviewed is worthy of being reviewed - Irrelevant

(D) it is difficult to judge the quality of a light bulb - It should not be true because it says "difficult to judge the quality of A light bulb" ,its applicable to each and every light bulb. Manufacturing company should have to test it's product in order to insure its quality , it can not give excuse that " it is difficult to judge the quality".

(E) the 1,500 light bulbs that are accepted will be of the same quality from week to week - It is the Correct answer choice because the manager wants to ensure that standards of quality remain constant from week to week.

Answer is E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
A. This is irrelevant. The argument doesn't talk about marketing of light bulb.
B. The argument is not about improvement of the quality of the bulb. This argument is about constant quality of bulb week after week.
C. Choice C is some kind of rhetoric statement, not related with the argument.
D. If it is true then It is also difficult to judge all 2000 bulb then reject all 2000 bulb.
E. This is the right answer, as the argument is about same quality. Hence, E is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM