GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 17:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

     January 17, 2019

     January 17, 2019

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     January 19, 2019

     January 19, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

A mountain resort will hold its annual one-day snowboarding competitio

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 52231
A mountain resort will hold its annual one-day snowboarding competitio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 22:21
1
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (01:31) correct 44% (01:24) wrong based on 71 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A mountain resort will hold its annual one-day snowboarding competition if it snows on either Saturday or Sunday, but if it does not snow at all it will not hold the event. If there is a 70% chance that it snows on any given day at the resort, what is the probability that the event will be held?

A. 70%
B. 80%
C. 81%
D. 90%
E. 91%

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 23 Aug 2016
Posts: 108
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE: Other (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A mountain resort will hold its annual one-day snowboarding competitio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 22:32
Bunuel wrote:
A mountain resort will hold its annual one-day snowboarding competition if it snows on either Saturday or Sunday, but if it does not snow at all it will not hold the event. If there is a 70% chance that it snows on any given day at the resort, what is the probability that the event will be held?

A. 70%
B. 80%
C. 81%
D. 90%
E. 91%


Chances of Snow on a given day is =0.7

So there are 3 possibilities for competition to take place= Snows on Saturday and on Sunday+Snows on Saturday but not on Sunday+NO snow on Saturday but snows on Sunday

Snow on any day=Snow on Sunday=Snow on Sunday=0.7
No snow on any day=No Snow on Sunday=No Snow on Sunday=1- 0.7=0.3

as both the events are mutually exclusive

=0.7*0.7 +0.7*0.3+0.3*0.7
=0.49+0.21+0.21
=0.91
=91%

Answer is E
_________________

Thanks and Regards,

Honneeey.

In former years,Used to run for "Likes", nowadays, craving for "Kudos". :D

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 312
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A mountain resort will hold its annual one-day snowboarding competitio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 12:32
Probability that it snows on a day=70%, probability that it does not now=30%.
Probability that it does not snow on both of the days= 0.3 * 0.3 = .09 or 9%

Hence, probability that it snows on either of the days= 1-9/100 = 91%.

Therefore, E.
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
P
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 4527
Location: United States (CA)
Re: A mountain resort will hold its annual one-day snowboarding competitio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 17:47
1
Bunuel wrote:
A mountain resort will hold its annual one-day snowboarding competition if it snows on either Saturday or Sunday, but if it does not snow at all it will not hold the event. If there is a 70% chance that it snows on any given day at the resort, what is the probability that the event will be held?

A. 70%
B. 80%
C. 81%
D. 90%
E. 91%


We see that that they will NOT hold the event only if it does not snow on Saturday and it does not snow on Sunday. Since the probability is 0.7 that it will snow on any given day, we see that the probability that it will NOT snow on any given day is (1 - 0.7) = 0.3. We can use the formula:

P(hold the event) = 1 - P(not hold the event)

P(not hold the event) = 0.3 x 0.3 = 0.09.

So P(hold the event) = 1 - 0.09 = 0.91 = 91%

Answer: E
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A mountain resort will hold its annual one-day snowboarding competitio &nbs [#permalink] 18 Sep 2018, 17:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A mountain resort will hold its annual one-day snowboarding competitio

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.