Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618797 [20]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [5]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [1]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Re: A music festival took place over two days, Saturday and Sunday. What [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
A music festival took place over two days, Saturday and Sunday. What percent of attendees only attended on Saturday?

(1) 40% of attendees attended both days.

(2) 70% of attendees attended on Sunday.

I think, "attendees" implies that at least one of the days was attended by everyone. Hence the case of neither Saturday nor Sunday is 0.

Obviously Statement 1 or 2 alone are not sufficient.

Combining both we can find % of attendees who only attended on Saturday.

Answer C.

Thanks,
GyM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: A music festival took place over two days, Saturday and Sunday. What [#permalink]
30% on Sunday only. 40% on Saturday and Sunday. Since every person attended at least on one day, 30% attended on Saturday. Hence, answer choice C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Statement 2 says that 70% attended on Sunday .... This implies that 70% includes those that attended only on Sunday and those who attended both days (since someone who attended both days would have automatically attended on Sunday too, and hence part of the 70%)
Therefore, 100%-70%=30% attended on Saturday.
Therefore B.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
A music festival took place over two days, Saturday and Sunday. What percent of attendees only attended on Saturday?

Since it's percentage of attendees, the number who didn't attend on either days is 0.

Statement 1: 40% of attendees attended both days. Insufficient.

Statement 2: 70% of attendees attended on Sunday. Insufficient.

Taken Together,

Out of 100 attendees, 70 attended on Sunday, 40 attended on both days;

This means that number of attendees who attended only on Sunday = 70 - 40 = 30.

Therefore, the number who attended only on Saturday = 100 - 40(Both) - 30(only Sunday) = 30. Sufficient.

Hence, the Answer is C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Send PM
Attendees should mean that there is no one outside the group of Saturday and Sunday. S IMO option B should be sufficient.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Dear GMATGuruNY

Can you help with this question? From OA, it is assumed that the festival connected on both days, while the wording, for me at least, may suggest only it is 2 days festival? How can I infer that someone who attended on Sunday must have attended on Saturday?

Bunuel

Can you please post the official answer by Veritas?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
A music festival took place over two days, Saturday and Sunday. What [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
Dear GMATGuruNY

Can you help with this question? From OA, it is assumed that the festival connected on both days, while the wording, for me at least, may suggest only it is 2 days festival?

A music festival took place over two days, Saturday and Sunday.
This wording conveys that the festival lasted exactly two days (Saturday and Sunday).

Quote:
How can I infer that someone who attended on Sunday must have attended on Saturday?k

The prompt does not indicate that anyone who attended Sunday must also have attended Saturday.
Before we examine the statements, we know only the following:
Anyone who attended the festival must have attended only Saturday, only Sunday, or both days.
Let the total number of attendees = 100.

Statement 1: 40% of attendees attended both days.
No way to determine how many attendees attended only Saturday.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: 70% of attendees attended on Sunday.
Since 70 of the 100 attendees attended Sunday, the remaining 30 did NOT attend Sunday and thus must have attended only Saturday.
SUFFICIENT.

Originally posted by GMATGuruNY on 30 Jul 2018, 17:44.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on 31 Jul 2018, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37 (Online)
Send PM
A music festival took place over two days, Saturday and Sunday. What [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

Event took place on 2 days. So no other day we can consider.

People who have not attended are never called attendees.

Using this information we move forward.

Let X be the people who have attended event only on Saturday.

Let Y be the people who have attended event only on Sunday.

Let Z be the people who have attended event on both Saturday and Sunday.

So,

X+Y+Z = 100% ------- (1)

Statement A - 40% of attendees attended both days.

This means our Z = 40%. ----- (2)

But we still cannot find X using equation (1) & (2)

Hence Statement (A) is insufficient.

-----------------------------

Statement B - 70% of attendees attended on Sunday.

This means our Y + Z = 70% ------- (3)
because Z includes people who have visited on sunday as well and not only saturday

Hence using equation (1) and (3) we can find X.

Hence Statement (B) is sufficient.

-----------------------------

Hence answer then becomes B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
Note: Statement 2 does not say "70% of attendees attended ONLY on Sunday."
The question asks for the percent of attendees ONLY on Saturday. Therefore it is simply 100 - 70 = 30%. SUFFICIENT. --> (B)

If the question asked for the percent of attendees on Saturday, you would require both statements.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

VeritasKarishma i picked E, cause no info on "neither" is given. how can can i figure our when "neither" is implied 0 VS "neither" is unknown, just in general.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

VeritasKarishma i picked E, cause no info on "neither" is given. how can can i figure our when "neither" is implied 0 VS "neither" is unknown, just in general.

dave13 - The backstory often gives you clues. A music festival took place over 2 days only (Saturday and Sunday). So all attendees would attend on Saturday or/and Sunday. Only then can we call them "attendees".
Can there be an attendee that attended the festival on neither of the two days? No. Then we cannot call him an attendee. Hence, neither = 0.

If the question were in terms of city's population, then we know that there could be people who did not attend the festival. Instead of attendees, we would have population then.
"40% of the city's population attended on both days" and "70% of city's population attended on Sunday."
etc
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts