Join us for MBA Spotlight – The Top 20 MBA Fair      Schedule of Events | Register

It is currently 04 Jun 2020, 10:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A pair of prime numbers that can be expressed in the form {p

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Board of Directors
D
A pair of prime numbers that can be expressed in the form {p  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2014, 16:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:21) correct 27% (01:17) wrong based on 249 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A pair of prime numbers that can be expressed in the form {p, (p + 6)} is defined as a pair of “sexy primes.” A “sexy triplet” is a group of three primes that can be expressed in the form {p, (p + 6), (p + 12)}. All of the following prime numbers are the middle term of a sexy triplet EXCEPT

(A) 11
(B) 13
(C) 17
(D) 19
(E) 23

Try on your own

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A pair of prime numbers that can be expressed in the form {p  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2014, 19:54
Sitter.. Put in values and test.. Definitely not a 700 level question .If yes , then I am going great guns !! :D
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2014, 11:02
carcass wrote:
A pair of prime numbers that can be expressed in the form {p, (p + 6)} is defined as a pair of “sexy primes.” A “sexy triplet” is a group of three primes that can be expressed in the form {p, (p + 6), (p + 12)}. All of the following prime numbers are the middle term of a sexy triplet EXCEPT

(A) 11
(B) 13
(C) 17
(D) 19
(E) 23

Try on your own

Agree. Does not seem to be a 700 question.

{x-6, x, x+6} all must be primes. Substitute options for x to check whether this will hold true. If x=19, then x+6=25, which is not a prime.

Answer: D.

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2014, 13:09
Bunuel

according to gmathacks is a 720 level. As such, two things we must to consider here: or jeff sackman is misleading in somehow or a real 700 level question is something quite similar to tensor analysis at this stage....

I have the GMAT question pack 1 and a 700 level question is not so far from the concept implied in this question or crafted I could say.

Waiting some thought by you.

thanks

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2014, 13:14
carcass wrote:
Bunuel

according to gmathacks is a 720 level. As such, two things we must to consider here: or jeff sackman is misleading in somehow or a real 700 level question is something quite similar to tensor analysis at this stage....

I have the GMAT question pack 1 and a 700 level question is not so far from the concept implied in this question or crafted I could say.

Waiting some thought by you.

thanks

Don't think I can add much. I don't agree with gmathack on this question. You can easily solve it in 30 seconds. From my point of view, it's ~600 level.

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2014, 13:30
Thank you Sir.

Last thought in a more general way: from my experience what makes a 700 or more level question (truly gmat question) is not the calculation itself or some strange formula to apply but the wording of the same or something that is hidden in it.

I have solved questions in which the difficulty was really high and the video explanation was at least 4 minutes because of its complexity but on my own I solved it in 30 seconds thanks to my intuition to gather few information or solely based on observation of the same.

Anyhow, Thanks for clarification.
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 04:12
definetly a sitter.plug in the values for middle term and calculate.We can see clearly that for 19 , 19+6 gives 25 which is not a prime
therefore correct answer D
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 21:05
A sub-600 for me. Because, all you need to know to get this question is - "5, 17, 7, 19, 11, 23, 17 and 29 are primes and 25 is not." Moreover, the language in the question isn't too convoluted either. So, IMO, nothing makes it a 700-level.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2019, 10:20
carcass wrote:

(A) 11
(B) 13
(C) 17
(D) 19
(E) 23

Try on your own

If I'm understanding it correctly, the answer choices provided represent the "middle term of the sexy triplet".
(A) 5, 11, 23
(B) 7, 13, 25
(C) 11, 17, 29
(D) 13, 19, 31
(E) 17, 23, 35

I'm confused how it's D?
GMAT Club Bot
A pair of prime numbers that can be expressed in the form {p   [#permalink] 06 May 2019, 10:20

A pair of prime numbers that can be expressed in the form {p

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics