GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 14:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Do and Die!!
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 277
A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2010, 17:58
1
12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:18) correct 40% (01:26) wrong based on 553 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective was important, commented: “Well, it sort of commands the valley, so it would be important in a conventional war. But this isn’t a conventional war, so I guess it means nothing.”

The speaker’s conclusion would be most strengthened if it were true that


A. the speaker is skilled in conventional warfare

B. commanding a valley is important in unconventional wars

C. commanding the valley is an objective in the war under discussion

D. this is an unconventional war

E. whatever is important in a conventional war is unimportant in an unconventional war

_________________

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8284
Location: Pune, India
Re: A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2010, 09:35
7
3
shrive555 wrote:
A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective was important, commented: “Well, it sort of commands the valley, so it would be important in a conventional war. But this isn’t a conventional war, so I guess it means nothing.”

The speaker’s conclusion would be most strengthened if it were true that

the speaker is skilled in conventional warfare
commanding a valley is important in unconventional wars
commanding the valley is an objective in the war under discussion
this is an unconventional war
whatever is important in a conventional war is unimportant in an unconventional war


Look at his train of thought:
Premises:
Commands the valley, so important in conventional war.
This is not conventional war.

Conclusion: So not important.

This is not a logical conclusion, right? Something that is important in conventional war could also be important in an unconventional one. What can I do to strengthen this conclusion. Is there a missing premise, which, if added could make this argument logical?
If I were to add a premise here 'what is important in a conventional war, is not important in an unconventional one', would the conclusion become valid?

See again:
Premises:
-Commands the valley, so important in conventional war.
-This is not conventional war.
-What is important in a conventional war, is not important in an unconventional one

Conclusion: So not important.

Now it is a valid conclusion. So the argument can be strengthened by adding this premise, this new information. Hence, answer is (E).
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 75
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2010, 09:52
1
Go with E
argument = comparison b\w conventional & unconventional wars ---> what fits in conventional do not fit in unconventional.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Can't give up
Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 253
Re: A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2010, 11:25
1
Only one which supports/strenghtens the conclusion is E.

The rest are all irrelevant OR extreme to assume.
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Posts: 542
Location: United States (LA)
Reviews Badge
Re: A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 04:14
strengthen is nothing but a type of assumption support the link between premise and conclusion
option E is a straightforward choice as provides the basic assumption on which the underlying argument is based.
If we negate this statement we can see that the conclusion clearly falls apart
Correct answer - E
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Aug 2018
Posts: 5
Re: A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 01:41
VeritasKarishma wrote:
shrive555 wrote:
A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective was important, commented: “Well, it sort of commands the valley, so it would be important in a conventional war. But this isn’t a conventional war, so I guess it means nothing.”

The speaker’s conclusion would be most strengthened if it were true that

the speaker is skilled in conventional warfare
commanding a valley is important in unconventional wars
commanding the valley is an objective in the war under discussion
this is an unconventional war
whatever is important in a conventional war is unimportant in an unconventional war


Look at his train of thought:
Premises:
Commands the valley, so important in conventional war.
This is not conventional war.



Conclusion: So not important.

This is not a logical conclusion, right? Something that is important in conventional war could also be important in an unconventional one. What can I do to strengthen this conclusion. Is there a missing premise, which, if added could make this argument logical?
If I were to add a premise here 'what is important in a conventional war, is not important in an unconventional one', would the conclusion become valid?

See again:
Premises:
-Commands the valley, so important in conventional war.
-This is not conventional war.
-What is important in a conventional war, is not important in an unconventional one

Conclusion: So not important.

Now it is a valid conclusion. So the argument can be strengthened by adding this premise, this new information. Hence, answer is (E).


_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Karishma,
Why not option D?

Thanks.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8284
Location: Pune, India
Re: A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 04:39
Anoushka1995 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
shrive555 wrote:
A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective was important, commented: “Well, it sort of commands the valley, so it would be important in a conventional war. But this isn’t a conventional war, so I guess it means nothing.”

The speaker’s conclusion would be most strengthened if it were true that

the speaker is skilled in conventional warfare
commanding a valley is important in unconventional wars
commanding the valley is an objective in the war under discussion
this is an unconventional war
whatever is important in a conventional war is unimportant in an unconventional war


Look at his train of thought:
Premises:
Commands the valley, so important in conventional war.
This is not conventional war.



Conclusion: So not important.

This is not a logical conclusion, right? Something that is important in conventional war could also be important in an unconventional one. What can I do to strengthen this conclusion. Is there a missing premise, which, if added could make this argument logical?
If I were to add a premise here 'what is important in a conventional war, is not important in an unconventional one', would the conclusion become valid?

See again:
Premises:
-Commands the valley, so important in conventional war.
-This is not conventional war.
-What is important in a conventional war, is not important in an unconventional one

Conclusion: So not important.

Now it is a valid conclusion. So the argument can be strengthened by adding this premise, this new information. Hence, answer is (E).


_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Karishma,
Why not option D?

Thanks.


(D) is already given in the argument (this is an unconventional war). Hence adding it again will have no impact on the argument/conclusion.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: On the journey of achieving
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Joined: 06 Feb 2016
Posts: 176
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 05:22
E is clear cut answer here. If we negate Option E our conclusion shall fall apart. Also Option D is an inference answer choice Anoushka1995
_________________

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Oct 2014
Posts: 18
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 06:34
This question might be kind of silly but where is it mentioned that it's an unconventional war? It could also mean that there is no war at all. That is the reason that I did not chose E. I chose C instead which says "C. commanding the valley is an objective in the war under discussion
". Can someone please explain?
Re: A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective &nbs [#permalink] 08 Sep 2018, 06:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.