GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

A recent spate of launching and operating mishaps with television sate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
A recent spate of launching and operating mishaps with television sate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Oct 2018, 07:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:30) correct 25% (01:52) wrong based on 1615 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A recent spate of launching and operating mishaps with television satellites led to a corresponding surge in claims against companies underwriting satellite insurance. As a result, insurance premiums shot up, making satellites more expensive to launch and operate. This, in turn, has added to the pressure to squeeze more performance out of currently operating satellites.

Which of the following, if true, taken together with the information above, best supports the conclusion that the cost of television satellites will continue to increase?

(A) Since the risk to insurers of satellites is spread over relatively few units, insurance premiums are necessarily very high.

(B) When satellites reach orbit and then fail, the causes of failure are generally impossible to pinpoint with confidence.

(C) The greater the performance demands placed on satellites, the more frequently those satellites break down.

(D) Most satellites are produced in such small numbers that no economies of scale can be realized.

(E) Since many satellites are built by unwieldy international consortia, inefficiencies are inevitable.

Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 32
Page: 127

Originally posted by vksunder on 09 Jul 2008, 19:57.
Last edited by Bunuel on 01 Oct 2018, 07:08, edited 3 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Tutor
S
Re: A recent spate of launching and operating mishaps with television sate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2008, 20:23
vksunder wrote:
A recent spate of launching and operating mishaps with television satellites led to a corresponding surge in
claims against companies underwriting satellite insurance. As a result, insurance premiums shot up, making
satellites more expensive to launch and operate. This, in turn, has added to the pressure to squeeze more
performance out of currently operating satellites.
Which of the following, if true, taken together with the information above, best supports the conclusion that the
cost of television satellites will continue to increase?

The mishaps have already led to an increase in the cost of satellites. This has led to the current situation: 'pressure to squeeze more performance out of currently operating satellites.' Why would the costs go up even further? If squeezing more performance out of current satellites is likely to be lead to further increases in costs. Of the answer choices, B is irrelevant, A, D and E describe why satellites should be expensive, not why costs should increase. Only C describes why 'squeezing more performance out of currently operating satellites' is likely to lead to satellite breakdown, which, as the question stem has established, leads to an increase in costs.

vksunder wrote:
A. Since the risk to insurers of satellites is spread over relatively few units, insurance premiums are necessarily
very high.
B. When satellites reach orbit and then fail, the causes of failure are generally impossible to pinpoint with
confidence.
C. The greater the performance demands placed on satellites, the more frequently those satellites break down.
D. Most satellites are produced in such small numbers that no economies of scale can be realized.
E. Since many satellites are built by unwieldy international consortia, inefficiencies are inevitable.

Please support your answers with a brief explanation

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: A recent spate of launching and operating mishaps with television sate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2012, 17:24
I agree with the answer C here:

The conclusion is: [highlight]The cost of television satellites will continue to rise[/highlight]

In this case, the conclusion is actually in the question stem.

A. This only describes why the price of the satellites is high. It does not explain why the cost will continue to increase.

B. I felt that the cause of failure was irrelevant in this case because it doesn't explain why the costs of the satellites would increase.

C. This answer choice correctly explains the reason why costs will continue to increase - since the currently operating satellites would be squeezed for more performance, this also means that they are also very likely to break down quicker. Therefore, the cost of maintenance and returning them back to operation would increase the costs.

D. This answer choice only explains the production of the satellites itself. It could explain why the cost of the satellite is high, but not why the costs would continually increase.

E. Although the satellites are inefficient, this would not explain why the costs would continually increase.
Manager
Manager
Schools: NTU '16 (A)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2013, 07:59
Though , choice C is the correct answer here. What i do not understand is how Choice E is irrelevant.

the satellites are built by unwieldy manufacturers,so inefficiencies are inevitable.

Now , it is not clear which inefficiencies the choice refers to.

It could be inefficiency in operation,leading to higher failures- in this case increasing costs.
It could be innefficient construction-not increasing costs.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 19:07
12bhang wrote:
Though , choice C is the correct answer here. What i do not understand is how Choice E is irrelevant.

the satellites are built by unwieldy manufacturers,so inefficiencies are inevitable.

Now , it is not clear which inefficiencies the choice refers to.

It could be inefficiency in operation,leading to higher failures- in this case increasing costs.
It could be innefficient construction-not increasing costs.

Hi,

It doesn't really matter which inefficiencies we are talking about here.

The keyword in the conclusion is "increasing" - that the costs will continue to increase.

Option E does not say that the inefficiencies will continue to rise. It just says some inefficiencies will remain - so what - it does not mean that the costs will INCREASE. It just means that costs must remain high.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 10:20
The satellites are caught in a vicious cycle: mishaps led to more claims, more claims led to higher premiums, higher premiums made satellite use more expensive, higher expenses led to higher demands on satellite performance. Choice C closes the "circle" of issues here because, if satellites are going to fail more due to high performance demands, then there will be more claims, and the whole thing will start all over again.

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Aug 2017, 22:59
Can someone explain options A, D and E in more detail.

Following is my understanding for these 3 options respectively,

A. Since the risk to insurers of satellites is spread over relatively few units, insurance premiums are necessarily very high.
As the insurance premiums are very high, satellites would be more expensive to launch and operate. But it does not support or provide any evidence to support the conclusion that the cost of satellites would continue to increase.

D. Most satellites are produced in such small numbers that no economies of scale can be realized.
First of all, meaning of economies of scale (As I was not aware of this meaning earlier),
Economies of scale are the reduction in the per unit cost of production as the volume of production increases. In other words, the cost per unit of production decreases as volume of product increases.
So, this option basically means that as satellites are produced in such small numbers that is the overall volume of production is so less that the cost per unit of production is still high. That is the satellites are still expensive. But this option does not cater to the conclusion that why the cost of satellites will continue to increase. Thus, this option statement is incorrect.

E. Since many satellites are built by unwieldy international consortia, inefficiencies are inevitable.
As per this option statement, inefficiencies are inevitable means the mishaps will still occur and claims will increase with higher insurance premiums thus more expensive satellites. But this option also fails to explain why the cost of satellites will continue to increase.
What do we actually mean in option E, when we mention unwieldy international consortia and does 'inefficiencies are inevitable' CORRELATES to 'mishaps will not stop happening'?

mikemcgarry chiranjeev

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Originally posted by vnigam21 on 06 Aug 2017, 10:45.
Last edited by vnigam21 on 09 Aug 2017, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 19:19
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A recent spate of launching and operating mishaps with television sate &nbs [#permalink] 29 Sep 2018, 19:19

A recent spate of launching and operating mishaps with television sate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap