GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 17:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

INSEAD Advice on deferring successfully? (21D to 22J/D)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
INSEAD Advice on deferring successfully? (21D to 22J/D)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 23:55
Hello All,

I am happy to share that I received a R1 acceptance to INSEAD 21D class. Although the start date is still several months away, the uncertainty of COVID-19 does make me apprehensive about attending in case a lot of the program is still run online. My strong preference would be to defer from 21D to 22D or at least 22J.

I have noticed that many students now part of the 21D cohort deferred successfully from 21J. Therefore, it seems as if INSEAD is being fairly accommodating about deferrals. However, when I asked my AO about this, I received pretty vague guidance on how to apply for a deferral. (I can request a deferral with "full details and supporting documents" via email to her.)

Does anyone have successful experience deferring? Any advice to share? (Example: What kind of reasons are deemed acceptable during these pandemic times? What sort of documents are normally asked about?)

Any and all tips appreciated!
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: INSEAD Advice on deferring successfully? (21D to 22J/D)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2020, 00:59
Top Contributor
americanabroad wrote:
Hello All,

I am happy to share that I received a R1 acceptance to INSEAD 21D class. Although the start date is still several months away, the uncertainty of COVID-19 does make me apprehensive about attending in case a lot of the program is still run online. My strong preference would be to defer from 21D to 22D or at least 22J.

I have noticed that many students now part of the 21D cohort deferred successfully from 21J. Therefore, it seems as if INSEAD is being fairly accommodating about deferrals. However, when I asked my AO about this, I received pretty vague guidance on how to apply for a deferral. (I can request a deferral with "full details and supporting documents" via email to her.)

Does anyone have successful experience deferring? Any advice to share? (Example: What kind of reasons are deemed acceptable during these pandemic times? What sort of documents are normally asked about?)

Hi

Congratulations on getting the INSEAD admit! On your particular situation:
- INSEAD may have been more accommodating with deferrals in earlier decisions, but as more people defer, INSEAD's ability to pick and create the 21D class decreases, besides opening up unexpected places in 21J. Therefore, going forward, gaining a deferral may be a bit harder than it was in the beginning of this cycle.
- Asking for full details and supporting documents means that INSEAD is asking you to make a case, which is a reasonable ask from anyone asking for deferral. In case you have such commitments (e.g. a family loan you need to pay off as some other family member has been laid off because of COVID), please provide this documentation. If your only reason for deferring is COVID-related disruption (online format/disruptions in seeking jobs) then be upfront about that.
- The documents usually asked for are medical (if someone asks for a deferment for that reason) or financial (if a new/unforeseen financial commitment has come up).
- Finally, please note that deferring may carry extra expenses as well, depending on which class you finally defer to.

Awesome Work | Honest Advise | Outstanding Results

Reach Out, Lets chat!
Email: info at gyanone dot com | +91 98998 31738 | Skype: gyanone.services
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2020, 01:47
Thanks for the quick reply GyanOne.

Appreciate the insight. My reasons for wanting to defer are mostly related to the general COVID-19 disruption and wanting to have as "normal" an in-person MBA experience as possible, as opposed to any additional extenuating circumstances. (Ex: Thankfully experiencing no major health or family concerns.)

However, I am worried that this reason might not be enough as so many people have similar concerns. But will be upfront as suggested and see what happens.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2020, 02:40
Top Contributor
americanabroad wrote:

Appreciate the insight. My reasons for wanting to defer are mostly related to the general COVID-19 disruption and wanting to have as "normal" an in-person MBA experience as possible, as opposed to any additional extenuating circumstances. (Ex: Thankfully experiencing no major health or family concerns.)

However, I am worried that this reason might not be enough as so many people have similar concerns. But will be upfront as suggested and see what happens.

You're most welcome americanabroad.

Agree with your course of action. Possibly make it clear in your communication that you are ready for and okay with any change in fee in case they do defer. Also, in case you have scholarships, check with them if they will carry over to the deferred term if the deferment is granted (they do not automatically).

Awesome Work | Honest Advise | Outstanding Results

Reach Out, Lets chat!
Email: info at gyanone dot com | +91 98998 31738 | Skype: gyanone.services
Manager
Manager
S
INSEAD Advice on deferring successfully? (21D to 22J/D)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2020, 04:04
americanabroad wrote:
Hello All,

Congratulations. All the best for your future endeavours.

Posted from my mobile device
INSEAD School Moderator
G
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.23
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2020, 13:07
Hey americanabroad if the experience would be mainly on the premises with fewer parties and large events would you like to defer as well??
INSEAD has not announced yet how they will sort it (I believe in Singapore will be mainly up to the Ministry of Education regulations) but it seems that campus exchange and school exchange might be difficult (hopefully in one year the situation is going to be eased).

I have been in touch with some current students to understand how the experience has changed and my concerns were minimized by their experience, if I get accepted I do not foresee asking for a deferral for the experience change but I understand that many people would like to, so I'm not sure that the school would be able to accommodate all requests.

I believe that there is still too much unknown so I would not ask for it until there is more clarity about the future.

Regards,
Pablo

americanabroad wrote:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: INSEAD Advice on deferring successfully? (21D to 22J/D)   [#permalink] 30 May 2020, 13:07

INSEAD Advice on deferring successfully? (21D to 22J/D)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: uc26, pabpinor, MBAPrepCoach