It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anyone who has lost the faculty of speech because of significant stres

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 115

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Anyone who has lost the faculty of speech because of significant stres [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 13:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:12) correct 43% (01:32) wrong based on 142 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Anyone who has lost the faculty of speech because of significant stress is offered hypnotherapy. However, only 90 percent of these patients can talk again after treatment. Obviously, it can be concluded that doctors are not always honest with their patients and sometimes knowingly offer hypnotherapy to people whom it will not help.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

A) All patients who agree to undergo hypnotherapy following loss of the faculty of speech because of significant stress are warned about possible complications or dangers.
B) Sometimes people who have lost the faculty of speech because of stress can benefit from hypnotherapy even if it does not help them regain speech.
C) Many have lost the faculty of speech but never experienced significant stress.
D) Hypnotherapy is often used to determine whether a person is faking or has indeed lost the faculty of speech.
E) There is no sure way to determine whether hypnotherapy will help return the faculty of speech to a particular person who has lost it because of significant stress.

Source: GoGMAT / OptimusPrep
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please Press +1 Kudos if it helps!

Last edited by Hadrienlbb on 08 Dec 2017, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

Optimus Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6132 [1], given: 121

Re: Anyone who has lost the faculty of speech because of significant stres [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 01:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hadrienlbb wrote:
Anyone who has lost the faculty of speech because of significant stress is offered hypnotherapy. However, only 90 percent of these patients can talk again after treatment. Obviously, it can be concluded that doctors are not always honest with their patients and sometimes knowingly offer hypnotherapy to people whom it will not help.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

A) All patients who agree to undergo hypnotherapy following loss of the faculty of speech because of significant stress are warned about possible complications or dangers.
B) Sometimes people who have lost the faculty of speech because of stress can benefit from hypnotherapy even if it does not help them regain speech.
C) Many have lost the faculty of speech but never experienced significant stress.
D) Hypnotherapy is often used to determine whether a person is faking or has indeed lost the faculty of speech.
E) There is no sure way to determine whether hypnotherapy will help return the faculty of speech to a particular person who has lost it because of significant stress.

The main point in the PARA is that all 100% do not recover through hypnotherapy, so doctors recommending in these 10% are NOT honest and knowingly send the patients through the treatment knowing that they will not get benefited..

we have to WEAKEN the argument so answer should generally tell us that the doctors are NOT dishonest.

lets see the choices

Doesn't help in saying that the docs are not dishonest

again out of scope

Nothing much again

We are not talking of benefits and flaws of a type of treatment

CORRECT.. if there is not a 100% way to tell if a patient requires a therapy or not, it gives another reason for people not benefiting from hypnotherapy

E

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6132 [1], given: 121

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1410

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Anyone who has lost the faculty of speech because of significant stres [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 14:53
this is a non-gmat question, and I believe this question has poor quality.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 115

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 17:52
This post received
KUDOS
chesstitans wrote:

Hi Chesstitans! You are right, this is not an official GMAT question. Then again, most questions on GmatClub are not official GMAT ones, and it doesn't make them less valuable. This one is from GoGmat / OptimusPrep. After going through all CR of OG 12th edition, 2018, and taking the GMAT, I'm not sure I would agree to say this is poor quality. I would agree to say that's a tricky one though.

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 115

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 1410

Anyone who has lost the faculty of speech because of significant stres [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 18:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hadrienlbb wrote:
chesstitans wrote:

Hi Chesstitans! You are right, this is not an official GMAT question. Then again, most questions on GmatClub are not official GMAT ones, and it doesn't make them less valuable. This one is from GoGmat / OptimusPrep. After going through all CR of OG 12th edition, 2018, and taking the GMAT, I'm not sure I would agree to say this is poor quality. I would agree to say that's a tricky one though.

optimusprep is a reliable source, the question needs to include such source in its title.
I was not able to find the source of this question from the Internet.

About the quality, well, since there is no obvious common pattern in 5 option choices, and since the argument is not clearly written, I believe this question should be modified.

Perhaps, the pattern in E is that the possibility of uncertainty has not been eliminated.

Last edited by chesstitans on 08 Dec 2017, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 1410

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 18:22
chesstitans wrote:
Hadrienlbb wrote:
chesstitans wrote:

optimusprep is a reliable source, the question needs to include such source in its title.
I was not able to find the source of this question from the Internet.

About the quality, well, since there is no obvious common pattern in 5 option choices, and since the argument is not clearly written, I believe this question should be modified.

You are right, I should have included the source in my original post. I edited it to indicate this information (I was not able to edit the tags, but I believe OptimusPrep is not part of the list anyways). Thanks for pointing this out!

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 18:25
Perhaps, the pattern in E is that there is still a possibility that the therapy is not 100% successful.
B,C,D are surely eliminated.
A is a shell game b/c A is about the possible dangers, not about possible failures of the therapy.

Re: Anyone who has lost the faculty of speech because of significant stres   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2017, 18:25

Anyone who has lost the faculty of speech because of significant stres

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap