Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [0]
Given Kudos: 341
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '19 (II)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: LBS
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: As / Like with "should"? "acts like a president should" vs. "acts as" [#permalink]
Kudos
HardWorkBeatsAll wrote:
I am working on as/like and wondered about the use of "should".

Which is correct -

He acted like a president should.
OR
He acted as a president should.

I am inclined toward the latter, but I've seen both used in standard texts. Is "as" better in this case?

Does "should" by itself make a clause or a phrase?

Clearly the first is wrong - because like can go with nouns or pronouns, never a clause.
But the second one is also suspect IMO, ellipsis usage is not completely correct while usage of "as" is correct.

He acted as a president should have --> Correct. (acted is implied after "acted" and the complete sentence reads "He acted as a president should have acted"). The complete verb need not be repeated here because "acted" can very well sit with the present perfect construction and the helping verb is good enough to capture the idea.

He acted as a president should act --> Correct. (Presidents should act in a certain way (a general fact) and he acted accordingly (a past tense verb)). The complete verb must be repeated after "as" because the tense has changed.

He acted as a president should -> Incorrect IMO, because the verb that ellipsis is trying omit should be seen verbatim in other parts of the sentence.
"He acted as a president should (acted)" doesn't make sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [0]
Given Kudos: 341
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '19 (II)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: As / Like with "should"? "acts like a president should" vs. "acts as" [#permalink]
Thank you for some really great answers, everyone! Kudos to all of you!

On a general note - can you guys tell me if there's a consolidated resource somewhere on gmatclub or externally that I can use to get my head around the more advanced SC stuff? I'm already looking at the "downloads" and some good question compilations + Ron's videos. MGMAT forum is also helpful, but I find there are many nuances that I should be familiar with, which I am not.

Ideally, I'm looking for something that will explain an advanced concept, and then give some problems on it right away for practice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
As / Like with "should"? "acts like a president should" vs. "acts as" [#permalink]
Kudos
HardWorkBeatsAll wrote:
Thank you for some really great answers, everyone! Kudos to all of you!

On a general note - can you guys tell me if there's a consolidated resource somewhere on gmatclub or externally that I can use to get my head around the more advanced SC stuff? I'm already looking at the "downloads" and some good question compilations + Ron's videos. MGMAT forum is also helpful, but I find there are many nuances that I should be familiar with, which I am not.

Ideally, I'm looking for something that will explain an advanced concept, and then give some problems on it right away for practice.

Hi...I was in the same situation as you are in now. I had finished my SC preparation from e-gmat and I was confident enough that I would score 80% accuracy in verbal SC. To my shock, I scored 33% accuracy, then I came across these 2 attachments in GMAT club and I analysed each and every option of each question again and again for 4 days very slowly and then I understood few concepts very well. I would suggest that you do the same and find the difference. Now I am confident that I would not go wrong in 600 level questions and many 700 level questions. For the questions in the comparisons attachment, I suggest that you check for the Expert replies in GMATclub.

All the best. Feel free to PM me for any other info :)

P.S. This is the basic step to be taken to feel confident enough about many topics in SC. You have to follow some additional steps once you reach 700 level. However, I believe that you have to solidify your concepts at the moment.

Please give a kudos, if you feel this post is helpful. :)
Attachments

Comparison theory %26 question OA%26OE_Lucy 0911.pdf [837.52 KiB]
Downloaded 66 times

Comparison theory %26 question_Lucy 0911.pdf [919.19 KiB]
Downloaded 63 times

Carcass_Souvik101990_GMATClub_Sentence_Correction_OA_and_OE.pdf [484.16 KiB]
Downloaded 66 times

Carcass_Souvik_Meaning_REVISED.pdf [195.18 KiB]
Downloaded 70 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: LBS
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
As / Like with "should"? "acts like a president should" vs. "acts as" [#permalink]