GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 15:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At the same time Sue began rolling a wheelbarrow from X to Y, Nancy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
At the same time Sue began rolling a wheelbarrow from X to Y, Nancy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 06:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:05) correct 34% (02:00) wrong based on 361 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At the same time Sue began rolling a wheelbarrow from X to Y, Nancy started walking along the same road from Y to X. If Sue's traveling rate was 2 feet per second and Nancy's was 3 feet per second, and if the wheelbarrow wheel rolled without slipping, what is the radius of the wheel on Sue's wheelbarrow?

(1) At the moment Sue and Nancy crossed paths, Sue had traveled 60 feet with the wheelbarrow.
(2) The total number of wheel revolutions during Sue's trip from X to Y was 75.

D
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: At the same time Sue began rolling a wheelbarrow from X to Y, Nancy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 07:38
Bunuel wrote:
At the same time Sue began rolling a wheelbarrow from X to Y, Nancy started walking along the same road from Y to X. If Sue's traveling rate was 2 feet per second and Nancy's was 3 feet per second, and if the wheelbarrow wheel rolled without slipping, what is the radius of the wheel on Sue's wheelbarrow?

(1) At the moment Sue and Nancy crossed paths, Sue had traveled 60 feet with the wheelbarrow.

CONCEPT: Distance travelled by Wheel in 1 revolution = Circumference of Wheel = 2 *(Pi)* Radius
and Total Distance covered by Wheel = No. of Revolutions made to cover that Distance * (2*(Pi)*r)

Statement 1: At the moment Sue and Nancy crossed paths, Sue had travelled 60 feet with the wheelbarrow.

Speeds of Sue / Speeds of Nancy = 2/3

Speeds of Sue / Speeds of Nancy = Distance of Sue / Distance of Nancy

i.e. Distance travelled by Nancy in same time = (3/2)*60 = 90 feet

i.e. Total Distance between X and Y = 60 + 90 = 150 Feet

But This doesn't provide us the information about how many revolutions does the wheel takes to cover total or any part of distance

Hence NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The total number of wheel revolutions during Sue's trip from X to Y was 75

But This doesn't provide us the information about Total distance travelled by the wheel in 75 Revolutions

Hence NOT SUFFICIENT

Combining the two statements

Total Distance = 150 feet (Calculated from statement 1)
Total Revolutions made by wheel to cover total distance = 75

i.e. 150 = 75 * (2*pi*r)

i.e. Radius of wheel, r = 1/(pi)

SUFFICIENT

Answer: Option
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Re: At the same time Sue began rolling a wheelbarrow from X to Y, Nancy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 23:12
Q: At the same time Sue began rolling a wheelbarrow from X to Y, Nancy started walking along the same road from Y to X. If Sue's traveling rate was 2 feet per second and Nancy's was 3 feet per second, and if the wheelbarrow wheel rolled without slipping, what is the radius of the wheel on Sue's wheelbarrow?

we need the total # of revolutions and total distance covered by wheelbarrow.
Sue | 2 feet per sec |
Nancy | 3 feet per sec |

Stmt (1) At the moment Sue and Nancy crossed paths, Sue had traveled 60 feet with the wheelbarrow.
    Sue time to cover 60 feet = distance/speed = 60 feet/2 = 30 sec
    Nancy took same time to cover = 30 sec * 3 = 90 feet
    total Dist = 90 + 60 = 150 feet.
    but no info about # of revolutions by wheelbarrow. ----- not sufficient

Stmt (2) The total number of wheel revolutions during Sue's trip from X to Y was 75.
    info about # of revolutions by wheelbarrow.
    but no info about total distance. ----- not sufficient

Together Stmt (1) and Stmt (2)
    total Dist = 150 feet.
    # of revolutions by wheelbarrow = 75
    \(2 \pi r = 150/75.\) ----- sufficient

Answer: Option

+1 kudos if you like
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 04:03
Bunuel wrote:

MANHATTAN GMAT OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

For the wheelbarrow, we can set up a distance formula:
Distance Traveled = (Wheel Circumference) (Number of Wheel Revolution)
Distance Traveled = (2πr) (Number of Wheel Revolutions)

\(\frac{Distance \ Traveled}{(2\pi{r})(Number \ of \ Wheel \ Revolutions)}=r\)

We can rephrase the question from “What is r?” to “What is the distance traveled and the number of wheel revolutions?”

(1) INSUFFICIENT: This provides the distance traveled, but no information about the number of wheel revolutions.

(2) INSUFFICIENT: This gives the number of wheel revolutions, but no information about the total distance from X to Y.

(1) AND (2) SUFFICIENT: If Sue traveled 60 feet at a rate of 2 feet per second, she traveled for 60/2 = 30 seconds before meeting Nancy. During those 30 seconds, Nancy had traveled at a rate of 3 feet per second, for a distance of (3)(30) = 90 feet. The total distance between X and Y is 60 + 90 = 150 feet.

We also know the total number of wheel revolutions that occurred between X and Y, so we have the answer to the rephrased question.

The correct answer is C.

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 04:31
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

MANHATTAN GMAT OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

For the wheelbarrow, we can set up a distance formula:
Distance Traveled = (Wheel Circumference) (Number of Wheel Revolution)
Distance Traveled = (2πr) (Number of Wheel Revolutions)

\(\frac{Distance \ Traveled}{(2\pi{r})(Number \ of \ Wheel \ Revolutions)}=r\)

We can rephrase the question from “What is r?” to “What is the distance traveled and the number of wheel revolutions?”

(1) INSUFFICIENT: This provides the distance traveled, but no information about the number of wheel revolutions.

(2) INSUFFICIENT: This gives the number of wheel revolutions, but no information about the total distance from X to Y.

(1) AND (2) SUFFICIENT: If Sue traveled 60 feet at a rate of 2 feet per second, she traveled for 60/2 = 30 seconds before meeting Nancy. During those 30 seconds, Nancy had traveled at a rate of 3 feet per second, for a distance of (3)(30) = 90 feet. The total distance between X and Y is 60 + 90 = 150 feet.

We also know the total number of wheel revolutions that occurred between X and Y, so we have the answer to the rephrased question.

The correct answer is C.

Similar questions to practice:
a-circular-rim-28-inches-in-diameter-rotates-the-same-number-65106.html
two-wheels-are-connected-via-a-conveyor-belt-the-larger-133697.html
how-long-in-minutes-did-it-take-a-bicycle-wheel-to-roll-130026.html
what-is-the-number-of-360-degree-rotations-that-a-bicycle-wh-166668.html
the-circumference-of-the-front-wheel-of-a-cart-is-30-ft-long-90588.html
a-point-on-the-edge-of-a-fan-blade-that-is-rotating-in-a-plane-is-65505.html
m10-183873.html
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
At the same time Sue began rolling a wheelbarrow from X to Y, Nancy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 18:26
Bunuel wrote:

Circumference * Rev = Total distance covered.

Distance covered by Sue = 60 feet, Time taken = 60/2 = 30 secs.
Distance covered by Nancy in same time = 30 * 3 = 90 feet.

Total D = 60 + 90 = 150 feet.

2 * pi * r * 75 = 150

using I and II, we can get the value of the wheelbarrow radius, hence C
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 03:06
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: At the same time Sue began rolling a wheelbarrow from X to Y, Nancy   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2018, 03:06

At the same time Sue began rolling a wheelbarrow from X to Y, Nancy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics