GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 03:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

November 18, 2018

November 18, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

Atrens: An early entomologist observed ants carrying

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Atrens: An early entomologist observed ants carrying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 19:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

68% (01:39) correct 32% (02:02) wrong based on 552 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Atrens: An early entomologist observed ants carrying particles to neighboring ant colonies and inferred that the ants were bringing food to their neighbors. Further research, however, revealed that the ants were emptying their own colony’s dumping site. Thus, the early entomologist was wrong.

Atrens’s conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) Ant societies do not interact in all the same ways that human societies interact.

(B) There is only weak evidence for the view that ants have the capacity to make use of objects as gifts.

(C) Ant dumping sites do not contain particles that could be used as food.

(D) The ants to whom the particles were brought never carried the particles into their own colonies.

(E) The entomologist cited retracted his conclusion when it was determined that the particles the ants carried came from their dumping site.

Source: LSAT

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Atrens: An early entomologist observed ants carrying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 23:46
Atrens: An early entomologist observed ants carrying particles to neighboring ant colonies and inferred that the ants were bringing food to their neighbors. Further research, however, revealed that the ants were emptying their own colony’s dumping site. Thus, the early entomologist was wrong.

The early entomologist had assumed that the ants are bringing food to the neighbors

Prethinking : If the early entomologist is wrong then that is possible if the "particles" that ant are dumping at the neighbor colonies are NOT food/

(A) Ant societies do not interact in all the same ways that human societies interact. [This is irrelevant - we are not interested in knowing how ants interaction is different from humans]

(B) There is only weak evidence for the view that ants have the capacity to make use of objects as gifts. Out of scope - even if they make use of objects as gifts, how does that tell us, if the things dumped are not food?

(C) Ant dumping sites do not contain particles that could be used as food. [This should be the CORRECT answer - Because if this is true, then the conclusion of Atrens will be logical and the early entomologist's assumption that the ants bring food would be incorrect.]

(D) The ants to whom the particles were brought never carried the particles into their own colonies.Irrelevant - What the ants did with the particles is not the concern here.

(E) The entomologist cited retracted his conclusion when it was determined that the particles the ants carried came from their dumping site. This retraction does not mean that the particles carried were not food, which was the conclusion of the entomologist. The retraction could be because of some other reasons.

Work Hard! Have Fun! Create History! :)

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 07:02

Why would entomologist say that the particles that the ants were carrying were food particles? Because they thought that the dumping sites contained food items and that's how they inferred that the ants were bringing food to their neighbors.

BUT they were proved wrong that means we have to eliminate the possibility that the dumping sites contained food. That's exactly what C does. It eliminates the possibility that the dumping sites contained food particles and hence is our answer.

(A) Ant societies do not interact in all the same ways that human societies interact.
Comparing interactions of ants with that of human societies' interaction is absolutely out of scope.

(B) There is only weak evidence for the view that ants have the capacity to make use of objects as gifts.
What kind of gift are we talking about about, were they food particles or something else? who knows! Eliminate.

(D) The ants to whom the particles were brought never carried the particles into their own colonies.
Whether they carried the particles or didn't doesn't really matter and hence this option is out of scope too.

(E) The entomologist cited retracted his conclusion when it was determined that the particles the ants carried came from their dumping site.
Entomologists changed the mind. Who cares! Does it impact the argument? Absolutely not. Because our argument is based on the fact they said for the first time.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 13:27
this source is from LSAT, i now realize how different LSAT is from GMAT.
C is the answer b/c it connects directly with the argument.
In LSAT, patterns in options are harder to recognize.
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 17:34
generis nightblade354 pikolo2510 VeritasKarishma

I fell in to (D) for this question and would like to share my reasoning of argument and PoE.

Quote:

Start with question stem to know what is to be done after reading the argument.
This is clearly asking me to find the assumption.

Quote:
Atrens: An early entomologist observed ants carrying particles to neighbouring ant colonies and inferred that the ants were bringing food to their neighbours. Further research, however, revealed that the ants were emptying their own colony’s dumping site. Thus, the early entomologist was wrong.

Start with the conclusion:
the early entomologist was wrong.
Or
the early entomologist's claim was wrong.

entomologist: E
research : R

As per E, food = particles
Later research: no, actually ants dump whatever is in their colonies.
whatever: may or may not be food.

Let me also break down premise and counter-premise for better understanding:

An early entomologist observed ants carrying particles to neighbouring ant colonies
Fact/ premise

the ants were bringing food to their neighbours.
E's claim. Supporting premise for above fact

Further research revealed that the ants were emptying their own colony’s dumping site.
Counter premise for E's claim and main premise
supporting author's claim

Thus, the early entomologist was wrong.
Author(A) goes against E's claim with above premise

For a valid assumption to prove: E's claim is wrong:

a. We need to support A's claim
b. We need to defend against any weakener for E's claim
(b) is important since if there is a weakener then it would
invalidate E's claim

On argument text as this, I find it easier to simply negate the answer choices
to find the assumption instead of bridging gap between premise and conclusion.

For a moment, here is how I would prethink:
I need an answer choice that leads to claim:
food is not equal to particles
(y)
because if food = particles then the claim would be invalid.

Quote:

Incorrect comparison, the manner in which the ants interact: whether it is similar to humans or not
is outside the scope of argument.

Quote:

Underlined portion is way too out of scope. If in doubt, negate this choice:
There is a strong evidence for the view that ants have the capacity to make use of objects as gifts.
Is my claim that ants dump material in their own colonies affected? Nope.

Quote:

I negated this to get:
Ant dumping sites do contain particles that could be used as food.
OK, so particles = food
What am I supposed to do?
to find an evidence that makes me invalidates my claim:
ants do carry food in terms of particles

I just got lost to think too much in my head and could not check how this fits.

Quote:

Negate this, The ants to whom the particles were brought ALWAYS carried the particles into their own colonies

So let s say Ants carry particles from X to Z. This options talks about ants in Z.
It says ants in Z bring their own particles.
Then how can I say that other ants bring particles in to Z?
I selected this answer choice since I felt it supported A's claim

Quote:

Whether E retracted from his conclusion after finding the new evidence is outside the scope of argument.

Overall, I think my approach faltered in pieces while connecting counter-premise to claim and
furthermore, when we are asked to prove: claim in invalid than to prove: claim is valid.
Not sure, if I am handling too many negatives in this question.

Let me know your approach to this question. :-)

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 18:57
broall wrote:

Source: LSAT

Entomologist observed ants carrying particles to neighbours and inferred that the ants were bringing food.
Research revealed that the ants were emptying their own colony’s dumping site.

Atren's Conclusion: The early entomologist was wrong.

Let's try some pre-thinking. From the argument, it is obvious why the entomologist could be wrong. But how could he be right? What if the particles being carried from the dumping site WERE food particles? That is the only way he could be right.
So for Atren's conclusion to follow (that the entomologist was wrong), we need to assume that particles being carried were not food particles.

You don't have to get lost in the process. Sometimes, it could be s simple as asking yourself - what is the author assuming? He says that the entomologist is wrong so the ants were not carrying food so he is assuming that the particles at the dumping site are not food particles.

No other option makes sense.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 21:57
Thanks a tonne for the explanation VeritasKarishma mam... :) Just like adkikani I got too much lost in overthinking the answer choices and ended up marking incorrect answer choice

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 23:40
Hey adkikani , i am not an expert, but since i answered the question correctly, here is my reasoning. i generally dont break any argument into premises, conclusions etc - i simply read an argument and use a common sense.

My approach is called K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple and Stupid. :lol:

Entomologist says that he saw ants carrying something to neighbour ants. Initially entomologist claimed that this "something" was food, but at the end of the day his obeservation turned out to be inaccurate.

To understand why C is correct, you need to understand why D is incorrect.

D says: (D) The ants to whom the particles were brought never carried the particles into their own colonies.

Pay attention to word NEVER. when making an assumption avoid such extreme options unless there is HINT to word NEVER in the argument. You cant be sure of word NEVER in option C, since you dont know this information FOR SURE.

now using POE you can easily pick C.

well that was my reasoning :)

have a great day! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Atrens: An early entomologist observed ants carrying &nbs [#permalink] 18 Aug 2018, 23:40

Atrens: An early entomologist observed ants carrying

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap