Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 17 Jul 2019, 08:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Atul Gawande the former surgeon general in his book The Checklist

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
P
Reviews Badge
Atul Gawande the former surgeon general in his book The Checklist  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Jan 2019, 01:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:58) correct 52% (02:05) wrong based on 386 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Atul Gawande, the former surgeon general, in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, argues that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots and greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving both money and lives.

A) Atul Gawande, the former surgeon general, in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, argues that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots and greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving both

B) Atul Gawande, the former surgeon general, argues in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, that doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots do to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving both

C) Former surgeon general Atul Gawande argues in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots, greatly reducing the number of medical errors, saving

D) Former surgeon general Atul Gawande argues in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, that doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots do to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, both saving

E) In his book, The Checklist Manifesto, former surgeon general Atul Gawande argues that doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots use to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving

Originally posted by XavierAlexander on 06 Jan 2019, 01:27.
Last edited by generis on 06 Jan 2019, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted the question
Manager
Manager
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Jan 2019, 02:54

Official Explanation

(A) This choice says that Gawande argues that doctors could use … checklists … and greatly reduce … errors, implying that the two actions are unrelated. In fact, using the checklists would lead to the reduction in errors; the sentence ought to say that doctors could use … checklists … to greatly reduce … errors. In addition, the placement of the modifier in his book is ambiguous. Logically, it ought to describe what Gawande argues throughout the book, but the placement seems to modify Gawande himself.

(B) CORRECT. By moving the verb argues closer to the subject (Atul Gawande), this sentence clarifies any ambiguity. The modifier in his book now properly describes the argument Gawande put forth in The Checklist Manifesto. Doctors could use … checklists … to greatly reduce medical errors correctly conveys that doctors’ use of checklists will lead to the reduction in medical errors.

(C) In this sentence, the modifiers greatly reducing the number of medical errors and saving both money and lives both modify doctors could use, and thus should be connected by and rather than with a comma.

(D) The parallel structure both X and Y requires the X and Y elements to be parallel. Saving money is not parallel to lives; saving should be before the word both (saving both money and lives) or it should be repeated after the word and (both saving money and saving lives).

(E) The same sort of checklists that pilots use to greatly reduce the number of medical errors sounds as though the pilots use their checklists to reduce medical errors.

Originally posted by XavierAlexander on 06 Jan 2019, 01:31.
Last edited by XavierAlexander on 06 Jan 2019, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
Re: Atul Gawande the former surgeon general in his book The Checklist  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 02:13
i find B and E same in meaning
that pilots do and that pilot use mean the same

Moreover, I think E is better in terms of modifiers and meaning

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Atul Gawande the former surgeon general in his book The Checklist  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 11:52
hello experts egmat, Veritas prep, bb
can u plzz guide what is the structure of right answer . B checklist Manifesto,that doctors .... that is referring to what . i am always confuse when see that after coma (,) . how to relate it with sentence .
thanks
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.99
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 20:52
Yash312 wrote:
i find B and E same in meaning
that pilots do and that pilot use mean the same

Moreover, I think E is better in terms of modifiers and meaning

I think one of the problem with E is that there is no way to connect saving to lives at the end. You need both to establish that connection.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.99
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 20:54
jafy wrote:
hello experts egmat, Veritas prep, bb
can u plzz guide what is the structure of right answer . B checklist Manifesto,that doctors .... that is referring to what . i am always confuse when see that after coma (,) . how to relate it with sentence .
thanks

that is the extension of the statement Atul Gawande argues in his book that. Rest parts are noun modifiers.

I hope it helps.

Please give kudos if you like the explanation.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 21:00
Doesnot B sound like pilots use checklist to reducxe emergency errors ,where as it is the doctor who should use checklist?
What is wrong in A?
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 00:41
Atul Gawande, the former surgeon general, in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, argues that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots and greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving both money and lives.

A) Atul Gawande, the former surgeon general, in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, argues that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots and greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving both- usage of AND changes the meaning(use of checklists and reduce the number of medical errors are related actions)

B) Atul Gawande, the former surgeon general, argues in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, that doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots do to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving both

C) Former surgeon general Atul Gawande argues in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots, greatly reducing the number of medical errors, saving - Verb-ing modifiers reducing and savings are not connected properly using AND

D) Former surgeon general Atul Gawande argues in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, that doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots do to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, both saving - parallelism issue - both saving money and lives

E) In his book, The Checklist Manifesto, former surgeon general Atul Gawande argues that doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots use to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving

1. I narrowed to options B and E and ended up choosing E.

2. In option A and C, "that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots" -- can we eliminate these options based incorrect usages of AS. (As followed by a noun is used for a role.)
Or is this ellipsis ? "that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots (do)"

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , DmitryFarber , daagh , ccooley , generis , other experts - please enlighten
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 02:24
Top Contributor
Quote:
A) Atul Gawande, the former surgeon general, in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, argues that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots and greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving both

C) Former surgeon general Atul Gawande argues in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots, greatly reducing the number of medical errors, saving

In A and C, it looks as if the pilots are some kind of checklists. When we are comparing the doctor's action, isn't it required that we must equip the second arm also with a verb such as do? The standard answer for this question is that the verbal action for the second arm is elided. Still, it is not satisfactory.

Quote:
B) that pilots do to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving both

D) checklists that pilots do to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, both saving

E) checklists that pilots use to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving

Before going into more complicated things, can someone kindly tell me in B, D, and E, which pilot is using which checklists to greatly reduce medical errors?

It is difficult to reconcile either to the OA or to the OE.

B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 06:21
I think B and E convey the same meaning.

Can someone please help explain what is the difference in meaning between B and E? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 08:49
Is E wrong because at last it says only saving and not saving both??
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 10:12
skycastle19 wrote:
I think B and E convey the same meaning.

Can someone please help explain what is the difference in meaning between B and E? Thanks.

Quote:
B) ...that doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots do to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving...

E) ...that doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots use to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving...

Super tricky one here.... :-o I think this is an issue related to how helping verbs, such as DO, can sub in for lengthier verb phrases. In B, the use of DO repeats the entire verb phrase about the usage of some kind of checklist. The DO emphasises the concept of using a checklist but not the same copy of the checklist...."in the same way that pilots do (also use) [some sort of checklist]". In E, however, the lack of DO makes it sound like Gawande is arguing that doctors should "use checklists (in the same way) pilots use (checklists)" to reduce medical errors...which - echoing the OE - is illogical.
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 10:15
0012anirban wrote:
Is E wrong because at last it says only saving and not saving both??

No, saving X and Y & saving both X and Y are correct. The first one is just an open marker (X and Y) and the second is closed (both X and Y). In my opinion, not a good reason for eliminating E.
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V21

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 18:32
I chose B,

Eliminated E because :-In his book cant refer to The Checklist Manifesto, it should be Atul Gawande,

Plus B makes more sense.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Atul Gawande the former surgeon general in his book The Checklist   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2019, 18:32

Atul Gawande the former surgeon general in his book The Checklist

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics