It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 05:18

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 03:53
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved

(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving

(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving

(D) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving

(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 05:27
ronybtl wrote:
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(D) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

A The phrase starting with "and its trunk" is not parallel to the first element in the list because it lacks "that" at the start.
B The past progressive tense is wrong here.
C The past perfect is wrong here because there is no need to stress the order of events.
D "And its trunk" is a fragment.
E Correct.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 08:33
[quote="BM"]Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

it should be "evolved" and not "evolving" so A and E remains. As per parallel structure A is correct.

B,C, and D have wrong tense issues as well.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 20:40
BM wrote:

(a) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Although we certainly don't hear it often, "is descended" is correct. For example:

We are descended from the chimpanzee.
He is a direct descendant of Charles the Great.

But I do agree that the phrase looks odd on paper.

Is it fine to write "Australian embryologists have found evidence to suggests" . My understanding says that it should be "That" and not "To" "Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests" . Please someone put some light on this .

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9426 [0], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 11:03
gmat4varun wrote:
BM wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Although we certainly don't hear it often, "is descended" is correct. For example:

We are descended from the chimpanzee.
He is a direct descendant of Charles the Great.

But I do agree that the phrase looks odd on paper.

Is it fine to write "Australian embryologists have found evidence to suggests" . My understanding says that it should be "That" and not "To" "Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests" . Please someone put some light on this .

Hello gmat4varun,

Thank you for the query. :-)

The correct official sentence uses the expression Australian embryologists have found evidence to suggest. We know that the correct answers of official sentences are always correct. Hence, we should not doubt them. Rather, we should learn from them those correct usages we are not aware of.

See, there is no issue in the expression Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests. Undoubtedly, this expression conveys the intended meaning clearly. However, there is no issue with Australian embryologists have found evidence to suggest either.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9426 [0], given: 348

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 01:01
BM wrote:

only choice E make "its truck" refer to "elephant". in other choices, "its trunks" are ambiguous.
choice E use second "that" , so,the clause "its trunk evolve...." is parallel to "elephant is..." . and because of this paralelism, "its trunk" refer clearly to "elephant".

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 110

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 23:15
cheryl3007 wrote:
x97agarwal wrote:
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

Please explain your reasoing?

Why is " elephant is descended" grammatically correct.

It is correct because it is equivalent to "is a descendant of"
If you use active form "has/had descended" the phrase no longer has the meaning of "being a descendant". Instead, it will mean "has moved downward". HTH

Can you give any example usage of 'is descended'?

"You can help me achieve my goal by sharing your knowledge"

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 110

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 09:00

B, C, D -> eliminated because no parallelism b/w "descended" & "evolving"
b/w A & E -> it was difficult to see where the issue. I suck at idioms so not sure if "evidence to suggest" is correct or "evidence that suggests" is correct (turns out the former is indeed correct).. The reason I chose E over A is because of ",and" .. I just read 5 minutes back that ", and" should be used to separate 2 clauses and in A, "and its trunk originally evolved" is not an independent clause. Am I right in my understanding?
Besides, "that the elephant" and "that its trunk" sounds like a good parallelism

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 200

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 12:11
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an
aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel.

A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving
The evidence suggested 2 things (i) that the elephant ….and (ii) that its trunk ….
However, the second “that” is missing in the sentence.
Also, we need a verb in place of a verb-ing “evolving”

B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
“has suggested” incorrect Tense.. We need simple present tense to express that the evidence suggests X and Y..

C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolved
“evidences that suggesting that” !!!
Pretty awkward…
“evidence suggesting that” would have been better ..
Also the usage of “with its …” is incorrect as this should be a separate clause to emphasize that the evidence suggests two things…

D. to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
As clarified in Option A second “that” is missing

E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
Correct

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 200

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 1366

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 09:44
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I got asked to take this one on by private message, so here I am! The answer is certainly E.

PROBLEM: There's no reason to use a comma with a list of two things.

PROBLEM: You have to say "that" after the verb "to suggest".

PROBLEM: The use of the past perfect tense here is incorrect, because the action isn't complete. I know it may seem like the descent has ended, but in the present, the elephant is STILL descended from an aquatic animal. That's an eternal truth. Also, using the prepositional phrase "with its trunk originally evolving" ends up modifying "an aquatic animal", when we really want to be referring to the elephant.

(D) to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
PROBLEM: We don't want to change tense in parallel unless there's a significant reason ("yesterday I went to the store but today I will stay at home"). No good reason from present perfect "has descended" to past "evolved".

ANSWER: "descended" and "evolved" are parallel, and everything else is clear.

Hope that helps!

-t

I thought commas will not be tested in gmat?
What makes A wrong is the commas, right?

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 1366

Wharton Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 76

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 12:18
Question tag says that question is from OG, but question is phrased differently in OG, and it is easier to reject choice A(clear parallelism error) after looking at OG version.
Correct Question, as per OG
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is
descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving
as a kind of
snorkel.
Can some one modify the question ?

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 76

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 03:44
souvik101990 wrote:
Concept tested: Parallelism, meaning, usage, style.
Difficulty: High
Illustration: “is descended” and “has/had descended” mean two entirely different things. Has/had descended implies going below (literally or metaphorically).
e.g: I had descended a few steps in the cave.
e.g: I would never want to descend to his level of callousness.
Is descended from implies ancestry. So obviously has/had descended is incorrect.
So, B,C,D are eliminated.
However between A and E, E is marginally better because of two things:
1. That suggests that in A sounds horrible.
2. E maintains “that” parallelism. (however the "second that" in A which apparently seems to be missing is not absolutely essential.)
E is the correct answer

Hello Souvik,

here is one thing that I am not clear with in terms of using to suggest instead of that suggests. The scientists were not finding the evidence with the purpose of suggesting, as they didn't now what evidence would point at before they found it. Therefore, I see evidence suggests that a better fit just because the rest of the sentence becomes evident for the scientists after they found the evidence and evaluated what that evidence suggests. This was the only reason for me not to choose E. Can you elaborate taking this point of the view into consideration with regards to meaning.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 23

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 15:11
A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving Not parallel

B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
Three things are wrong here:
-Not parallel
-“its trunk originally evolving” is fragment that seems to be modifying elephant but is too far from the noun it intends to modify
-“has suggested” is not the right tense

C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolved
Two issues:
-Not parallel
-tense of the verb “had descended” is wrong because it means that the elephants are not descendants any more

D) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
Same issues as in Ce

E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
Both clauses before and after the “and” are parallel. This is the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 12:20
ronybtl wrote:
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel.

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving

(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolved

(D) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved

{,and} before {its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel} tries to make 2 independent clauses and connect them. only problem is that the second part is missing a verb (evolving alone can't be a verb). This gives an idea that descending from aquatic animal and evolution of trunk needs to be parallel. b also goes out as there is no verb for {its trunk}.Additionally, in a statement, we look for either a simple present tense or a simple past tense, this kicks out (c) and (d).The only option left is E) Please feel free to correct me, in fact I will appreciate that.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 20

Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2017, 12:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 54 posts ] 

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap