GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 03:17
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel.

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving

(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving

In A and B, "evolving suggests that it is evolving right now. This is not what we want. Eliminate a and b.

(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolved
with cannot be followed by an independent clause

(D) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
The phrases are not parallel.

(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
The phrases are parallel now and convey a precise meaning.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 10:06
Hi! I had a problem with the usage of "that" in option E. If we remove the part after first "that", "its" in the second half no longer refers to the elephant.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 11:22
Top Contributor
gupta,
I am afraid I am not able couldn't get your point.
The part that follows the first 'that' is the subject of the relative clause. It is not a modifier contained within commas or dashes. There is no reason to remove it. If we remove the subject itself, then how will the pronoun have an antecedent?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 2.84
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 06:52
The sentence says that Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests something. What does it suggest? Let’s focus on this part:

that suggests
that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal,
and its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel
The evidence suggests two things:

The elephant is a descendant of an aquatic animal
The trunk of the elephant originally evolved as a kind of snorkel (or if you don’t know the meaning of snorkel, you can think it as “kind of something”)
There are two clear problems with this sentence – both in latter part of “and”:

“its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel” doesn’t have a verb. The “trunk” is followed by a verb-ing modifier. Logically, the idea communicated in this part seems to be suggested by the evidence. Therefore, it needs to be parallel to the clause before “and”. In other words, we need to change “evolving” (a modifier) to a verb in this part to make it correct.
The other problem is that we need to repeat “that” after “and” to make it parallel to “that the elephant is …”. Please remember that we cannot take “that” as common to the two clauses. Why do we need to repeat it? Because without such repetition, one can possibly understand the part after “and” to be another independent clause and not something suggested by the evidence

If you like this post, be kind and help me with Kudos!

Cheers!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 01:30
My question regarding the correct answer E: to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

Is second 'that' redundant?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el &nbs [#permalink] 27 Sep 2018, 01:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap