GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 11:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Because its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Because its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2012, 08:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (00:53) correct 17% (01:02) wrong based on 567 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Because its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan, the United States shoulders much of the burden for patrolling and protecting the shipping lanes of the West Pacific.

A. its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan

B. their military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan

C. their military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than that of Japan

D. its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan’s

E. its military has been larger and more technologically sophisticated than those of Japan

JabtaGubar wrote

Quote:
I am not sure why the OA is D. I think we compare the military of Japan and the US, not their shoulders. I choosed "that of Japan".

Nevertheless, the United States should be singular. So C is wrong.

There is no difference between that of Japan and Japan’s.
More importantly, shoulders is not used as a noun here as in our physical shoulders. It is used as a verb, meaning takes on the responsibility. Therefore, D is ok.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
Re: Because its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2012, 08:29
Hey daagh, actually there is a difference between "that of Japan" and "Japan's" here. We're making a comparison (X is larger than Y). The comparable elements are "its military" and "Japan's military," so we want them to have the same structure (possessive + noun). Since the second possessive "Japan's" can legally imply a repeated noun, this is OK. However, "its military" and "that of Japan" is a mismatch - it's unclear what we're comparing. So D is the correct answer.

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

General Discussion
Retired Moderator
D
Re: Because its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2012, 10:07
@rjacobsMGMAT

I could not go much on your meaning. You say that

Quote:
However, "its military" and "that of Japan" is a mismatch - it's unclear what we're comparing. So D is the correct answer.

I am also saying D is the answer and you concur and so no issues. But you contend that its military and Japan’s are a mismatch because Japan’s may not precisely point to what are being compared. If we have to let our fancy run riot, technically Japan’s could be Japan’s popluation or its GDP or any thing for that matter. This is what I comprehended by your averment. In that case, I thought that you were going to say, “So D is not the answer”, but you surprised me by saying that D is the answer. What am I missing?

Additionally, should we not use possessives like Japan’s, especially in comparisons?

Thanks in advance for your elucidation.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manhattan Prep Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2012, 10:21
I see what you mean, here is some further explanation:

When the GMAT first says "its military" and then says "that of Japan," it's not immediately clear to me that they are making a comparison because those two noun phrases are not in the same format. Of course in real life I understand that we are comparing militaries, so the meaning is clear, but the structure is a problem.

However, when the GMAT says "its military" and then says "Japan's," it's clear that these two things are comparable. Even though the word "military" does not appear the second time, it's legal to use possessives to imply a noun that appeared earlier in the sentence. For example:

I like Sally's pies more than Rachel's.

This is a legal sentence. It implies the following:

I like Sally's pies more than Rachel's pies.

Hope that clears things up!

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

VP
VP
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2013, 04:03
Because its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan, the United States shoulders much
of the burden for patrolling and protecting the shipping lanes of the West Pacific.

(A) its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan
Incorrect comparision of US military with Japan
(B) their military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan
Their is cannot be used as United States is a singular entity
(C) their military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than that of Japan
Their is cannot be used as United States is a singular entity
(D) its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan’s
Correct - correct comparision, pronoun
(E) its military has been larger and more technologically sophisticated than those of Japan
those is wrong

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2013, 04:26
appreciate your quick reply.

But can you help me with my doubt - i just rejected A,D and E as it contains "its" which is a possessive pronoun and as per my understanding, possessive pronoun refers to only possessive noun.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2013, 09:17
rishi0109 wrote:
appreciate your quick reply.

But can you help me with my doubt - i just rejected A,D and E as it contains "its" which is a possessive pronoun and as per my understanding, possessive pronoun refers to only possessive noun.

On the contrary, start by looking at what follows United States - 'shoulders' which shows that the sentence treats USA as a 'singular' entity. Therefore options with 'their' are eliminated.
Now the second thing to look out for is what is being compared to what..A compares 'military' with Japan
Military is a singular therefore E is wrong as it says 'those'
Answer is D

As far as the use of possessive noun is concerned: Look at this statement - 'India is known for its brilliant mathematicians'
I didn't use a possessive pronoun here yet the statement is right..In the question USA is possessive of the military...therefore its has been used correctly

add kudos if this helped you
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2013, 10:51
rishi0109 wrote:
Because its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan, the United States shoulders much
of the burden for patrolling and protecting the shipping lanes of the West Pacific.

(A) its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan
(B) their military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan
(C) their military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than that of Japan
(D) its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan’s
(E) its military has been larger and more technologically sophisticated than those of Japan

I rejected all the its choices because its refers to it's and does not have any antecedent because as per my knowledge possessive pronouns only refer to possessive nouns.

The original statement has a huge flaw which is comparing a military to a country, so that knocks out A and B.

The possessive "their" must be singular, because the United States is singular. This is reinforced by the fact that the verb outside the underlined portion is the singular "shoulders", so B (again) and C are eliminated.

We're down to D and E. E is incorrect twice, once for using the plural "those" when referring to its military, and second for the timeline of "has been larger..." not working with the present tense used outside of the underlined portion.

The answer is indeed D, and it's fairly obvious from eliminating clearly incorrect answer choices. I can understand the confusion on "its", but all the other answer choices must be eliminated (often twice) for egregious errors. I don't see this question as 700+.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 04:07
Because its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan, the United States shoulders much of the burden for patrolling and protecting the shipping lanes of the West Pacific.

A. its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan

B. their military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan

C. their military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than that of Japan

D. its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan’s...correct

E. its military has been larger and more technologically sophisticated than those of Japan

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2015, 02:43
The original sentence contains a faulty comparison: it compares the military of the
United States to Japan, rather than to Japan’s military.
(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.
(B) This choice repeats the comparison error in the original sentence. Additionally,
this choice creates a pronoun error by using the plural pronoun “their” to refer to the
singular “United States.”
(C) This choice corrects the comparison error by comparing the military of the United
States to “that” of Japan. However, this choice includes a pronoun error by using the
plural pronoun “their” to refer to the singular “United States.”
(D) CORRECT. This choice correctly compares the military of the United States to
“Japan’s”; although “military” is not explicitly stated, the possessive form implies that it
refers to Japan’s military. Additionally, the singular pronoun “its” correctly refers to the
singular “United States.”
(E) This choice unnecessarily shifts to the present perfect tense “has been
larger,” which is not parallel with the present tense verb “shoulders” in the main
clause of the sentence. Furthermore, a military is a singular entity, whereas “those of
Japan” incorrectly refer to something plural.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 05:48
Can someone explain the usage of Possessive pronoun in comparison [in Option D]?
Many Thanks
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 05:54
The possessive 'Japan's' , standing for Japan's military' is used to parallel the other possessive 'its'

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Operations (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 06:36
• its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan (Wrong Comparison of Army of one country to Country)
their military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan(Their is plural hence wrong)
their military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than that of Japan. (Their is plural hence wrong)
• its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated than Japan’s( correct)
• its military has been larger and more technologically sophisticated than those of Japan . (Simple tense is suitable here) wrong
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Because its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated &nbs [#permalink] 04 Apr 2018, 06:36

Because its military is larger and more technologically sophisticated

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap