GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 09:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Being able to predict the rise and fall of the interest rate could all

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Being able to predict the rise and fall of the interest rate could all  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 04:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

21% (01:03) correct 79% (01:07) wrong based on 125 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Being able to predict the rise and fall of the interest rate could allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits.

(A) Being able to predict the rise and fall of the interest rate could allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits.

(B) The capability for predicting the rise and fall of the interest rate could allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits.

(C) The ability to predict the rise and fall of the interest rate would allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits.

(D) The ability for predicting the rise and fall of the interest rate could allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits

(E) The ability for predicting the rise and fall of the interest rate would allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits.

G
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Reviews Badge
Re: Being able to predict the rise and fall of the interest rate could all  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 05:27
(A) Being able to predict the rise and fall of the interest rate could allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits.

WRONG: Incorrect use of 'being'

(B) The capability for predicting the rise and fall of the interest rate could allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits.

WRONG: capability for predicting is wrong.

(C) The ability to predict the rise and fall of the interest rate would allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits.

CORRECT: Correct use of ability to predict. Parallel verbs. Look best option with no fault.

(D) The ability for predicting the rise and fall of the interest rate could allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits.

WRONG: Same as B

(E) The ability for predicting the rise and fall of the interest rate would allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits.

WRONG: same as B and D

my answer is C

Posted from my mobile device
P
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Being able to predict the rise and fall of the interest rate could all  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 07:55
UdayPratapSingh99 wrote:

Hello UdayPratapSingh99

could you please explain, why do you think that "being" is wrong in (A)?

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Reviews Badge
Being able to predict the rise and fall of the interest rate could all  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 08:02
GKomoku wrote:

Hello

could you please explain, why do you think that "being" is wrong in (A)?[/quote]

Hi
'Being ' is used for continuous occurrence for for a period. It shouldn't be used in place of 'because of'.

Remember this fact, and you'll be able to avoid many trap in the real GMAT, as it is very commonly used trap in GMAT.

Posted from my mobile device
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 08:33
Bunuel wrote:
Being able to predict the rise and fall of the interest rate could allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits.

(D) The ability for predicting the rise and fall of the interest rate could allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits

GKomoku wrote:
UdayPratapSingh99 wrote:

Hello UdayPratapSingh99

could you please explain, why do you think that "being" is wrong in (A)?

UdayPratapSingh99 wrote:

Hi GKomoku
'Being ' is used for continuous occurrence for for a period. It shouldn't be used in place of 'because of'.

Remember this fact, and you'll be able to avoid many trap in the real GMAT, as it is very commonly used trap in GMAT.

UdayPratapSingh99 and GKomoku

The use of the word "being" is difficult, no doubt.

In this instance, the use of "being" in option A is grammatically correct.
Being is not used only for continuous occurrence over (?) a period of time.

Being is a gerund (a verbING)—a noun.

Being able to predict = having the ability to predict

Correct: Having the instruments to predict tornadoes is crucial to meteorologists who work in "Tornado Alley."
Correct: Swimming in the ocean is a challenge.
Correct: Being afraid of heights is normal.
Correct: Being irresponsible on social media could create a problem for aspiring politicians whose every word could be scrutinized.

Take a look at this official question about how business executives should conduct themselves, for example.

Similarly, take a look at this GMAT Prep question about Charles Lindbergh.
Nothing is wrong with the use of "being" in option D in that question; Option D is wrong for other reasons.
The immediately preceding sentence is a big hint.

Hope that helps.

Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it. -- Mary Oliver
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Jan 2019, 20:44
generis wrote:

In this instance, the use of "being" in option A is grammatically correct.

generis that's what I wanted to hear, thank you ;)

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

Originally posted by GKomoku on 16 Jan 2019, 09:24.
Last edited by GKomoku on 16 Jan 2019, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
P
WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 12:10
Bunuel wrote:

Going with C . It relays the information clearly !
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 18:04
Is C wrong because the focus is on the wrong subject? The ability doesn't allow us make solid investments, but HAVING the ability does?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 23:15
I narrowed down the answer choices to A and C since both are idiomatically correct. Imo, C is incorrect because it says "would" and that changes the meaning of the sentence. Being able to predict the interest rate could (potentially) and not would (definitely) allow us to make solid investments and reap enormous profits.
GMAT Club Bot
Being able to predict the rise and fall of the interest rate could all   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2019, 23:15

Being able to predict the rise and fall of the interest rate could all

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics