Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 09:19 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx   Subject Verb Agreementx                                    
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64948 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of

If you’ve seen our videos on pronouns or comparisons, you’ve heard me talk about the phrase “that of” (also discussed in this article). In this case, “that” is a singular pronoun, which seems to refer to “music.”

Trouble is, when you re-read that part of the sentence with “music” replacing “that”, it doesn’t really make sense: “…including Elvis and Jerry, whose music was significantly different from the music of his own.” Huh? The phrase “…different from the music of his own” makes no sense. Why not just say “different from his own” instead?

Plus, (E) also features some crappy stuff again: “were an influence” isn’t as sharp as “were influential”, and “was an inspiration” is a lousier version of “inspired”. Those things aren’t WRONG, but they’re definitely not great.

So (E) is out, and (B) is our best bet.

GMATNinja apart from the redundancy of "that", isn't (D) a better parallel structure than (B)? Please help me understand where I am going wrong
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63681 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll [#permalink]
Expert Reply
adityaganjoo wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of

If you’ve seen our videos on pronouns or comparisons, you’ve heard me talk about the phrase “that of” (also discussed in this article). In this case, “that” is a singular pronoun, which seems to refer to “music.”

Trouble is, when you re-read that part of the sentence with “music” replacing “that”, it doesn’t really make sense: “…including Elvis and Jerry, whose music was significantly different from the music of his own.” Huh? The phrase “…different from the music of his own” makes no sense. Why not just say “different from his own” instead?

Plus, (E) also features some crappy stuff again: “were an influence” isn’t as sharp as “were influential”, and “was an inspiration” is a lousier version of “inspired”. Those things aren’t WRONG, but they’re definitely not great.

GMATNinja apart from the redundancy of "that", isn't (D) a better parallel structure than (B)? Please help me understand where I am going wrong

(D) has a nice juicy concrete error. Take another look:

Quote:
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, who included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, the music of whom differed significantly when compared to
his own.

The items in red serve as the subject for the verb in blue. We can write that x, y, and z were influential, but using "was" creates a subject-verb disagreement. Soon as we see that, we can kill (D). No need to consider its parallelism.

Notice, also, that the only parallel marker in the underlined portion of (B) is "and." The phrase "Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia" is perfectly parallel, so no issue there.

(One source of confusion is the use of the word "also," which is not a parallel marker, though test-takers sometimes mistake it for one. "Tim is tired; he is also hungry" is perfectly fine. There's no parallel construction here, and there doesn't need to be.)

I hope that clears things up!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
I am not sure whether “views on…….” modify repertory or be a main subject ?

I though that it were a verb but it’s not.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Tanchat wrote:
I am not sure whether “views on…….” modify repertory or be a main subject ?

I though that it were a verb but it’s not.

Hi Tanchat,

Views is a noun here, part of the list repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style.

1. ... whose {repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style} influenced generations of bluegrass artists... ← The subject of the dependent clause is repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style, and the verb is influenced.

Thank you for your response.

Then, I have another question.
What about Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe ?

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Quote:
(E) In this case, “that” is a singular pronoun, which seems to refer to “music.”

GMATNinja EducationAisle please could you help me understand why "that", by referring to "music", makes the sentence incorrect? Isn't the comparison made clear? By using the word "that" we are essentially comparing music of Elvis and Jerry with the music of Bill Monroe
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
Quote:
(E) In this case, “that” is a singular pronoun, which seems to refer to “music.”

GMATNinja EducationAisle please could you help me understand why "that", by referring to "music", makes the sentence incorrect? Isn't the comparison made clear? By using the word "that" we are essentially comparing music of Elvis and Jerry with the music of Bill Monroe

Hello Hoozan,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

If we take "that" to refer to music, the relevant phrase becomes "whose music was significantly different from the music of his own (music)"; "own" here refers to Bill Monroe's music, so Option E illogically implies that Bill Monroe's music has its own music.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

(A) were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

(B) influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

(C) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, was also inspirational to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was different significantly in comparison to

(D) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, who included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, the music of whom differed significantly when compared to

Hi GMATNinja, VeritasKarishma,

Please help me with the below doubt about option choice B-

Isn't "inspired many musicians" parallel to "influenced generations of bluegrass artists" ? And doesn't this somewhat changes the intended meaning ? If "influenced" is parallel to "inspired" then it seems "Bill Monroe's repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style inspired many musicians" instead of "Bill Monroe himself being an inspiration to many musicians" (which, as per my understanding, is the intended meaning of option choice A)

In option choice A "whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists" looks like a non-essential modifier and "was also an inspiration" seems to modify "Bill Monroe". So the crux of the sentence- "Bill Monroe was an inspiration to many musicians.. ".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 262
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
The hard thing about this question is the fact that there’s some crappy stuff in some answer choices, but that stuff isn’t necessarily WRONG. I like it better when things are WRONG, and I can eliminate them with confidence.

But… well, there’s enough crappy stuff to allow us to get to the right answer without too much pain:

Quote:
(A) were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

In (A), there’s a lot of crappiness. The phrase “were influential” is a crappy, indirect way to say “influenced” – but it’s not WRONG, exactly. The phrase “was also an inspiration” is a crappy, indirect way to say “also inspire.” And “that included Elvis and Jerry” is a lousy way to say “including Elvis and Jerry.”

Honestly, my reaction to (A) would be “this is a crappy sentence, but I can’t really eliminate it yet.” So I’d keep it, and look for something better. But I’ll spoil the surprise: there are better options coming in a moment.

Quote:
(B) influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

Well… isn’t this magical? (B) gives us better versions of EVERYTHING I whined about in (A): “influenced” instead of “were influential”; “inspired” instead of “was an inspiration”; and “including” instead of “that included.”

(B) is looking relatively nice. Let’s keep it.

Quote:
(C) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, was also inspirational to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was different significantly in comparison to

(C) has a pretty severe subject-verb error: “repertory, views… and vocal style…” needs a plural verb, “were influential”, not “was influential.”

(C) also has some of the same “crappy stuff” we saw in (A): “was inspirational” is a crappy way to say “inspired”, “that included” is a poopy version of “including”, and “was different significantly in comparison” is a tragically bad way to say “differed significantly.”

So we have lots of reasons to ditch (C).

Quote:
(D) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, who included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, the music of whom differed significantly when compared to

(D) has exactly the same subject-verb error as (C): “repertory, views… and vocal style…” needs a plural verb, so “was influential” is wrong.

And again: there's lots of crappy stuff here. The phrase “music of whom” is a ridiculous way to say “whose music”, and “differed significantly when compared to” is a really inefficient way to say “different significantly from.”

So (D) is gone, too.

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation GMATNinja - you have the best explanations ever! I was down to B and E. I picked B because I thought it was a "cleaner" sentence, though admittedly I didn't think of the usage of the word "That" in Option E to be problematic. Besides that, I thought that there was also a meaning difference: In B, I think the sentence means that the Bill Monroe's reportery, collaboration and style influenced the other artists. Comparatively, in Option E, I think the sentence means that Bill Monroe himself influenced the other artists. I thought the meaning in option B was the intended meaning of the sentence and therefore picked B for meaning differences as well. Am I on the right track about meaning difference between E and B? Thank you
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll [#permalink]
Thank you for your reply gmatninja, but i have small doubt which is eating up my brain.

So for the "was" v/s "were"

I was under impression that it should be "was" because the nouns around "and" are both plural and singular in the sentence, and hence the noun preceding the verb is to be looked at. Could you please clarify this for me

Send PM
Expert Reply
balaganesh98 wrote:
Thank you for your reply gmatninja, but i have small doubt which is eating up my brain.

So for the "was" v/s "were"

I was under impression that it should be "was" because the nouns around "and" are both plural and singular in the sentence, and hence the noun preceding the verb is to be looked at. Could you please clarify this for me

Hello balaganesh98,

To answer your query, the plural verb is correct in this context because any elements, plural or singular, joined by "and" come together to form one plural noun phrase.

To understand the concept of "And" Versus Other Conjunctions on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 732
Send PM
Does B have a comma splice issue? It just jumps directly to "also..." but I would've though an "and" would be included to connect the two?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
thesip2323 wrote:
Does B have a comma splice issue? It just jumps directly to "also..." but I would've though an "and" would be included to connect the two?

B is not a comma splice.

With B, the sentence is:

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

At a broader level, following are the clauses:

i) Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe also inspired many musicians....
- Independent clause

ii) whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists
- Dependent clause

So basically, there is only one Independent clause in this sentence. "Comma splice" occurs when two Independent clauses are connected by just a comma.

You can watch our video on Independent and Dependent Clauses.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Independent and Dependent Clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Send PM
Expert Reply
thesip2323 wrote:

Hello thesip2323,

To answer your query, Option B does not contain a comma splice error, as it only contains one independent clause - "Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe...also inspired many musicians"; every other clause in this sentence is a dependent one.

Remember, a comma splice occurs when two independent clauses are joined by a comma rather than a semicolon or the "comma + conjunction" construction.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll [#permalink]
hello experts, @martytargetprep mgmat GMATNinja egmat

I almost marked B, but the took some more time and marked A,

I might be overthinking but inspired can be a verb for views, views influenced... and inspired... -leaving no verb for Bill. hence i eliminated it!

**second, How can ,ing modify musicians? it's modifying Bill and the action of bill- inspired. I've seen it many times ,ing modifies nearest noun, it makes sense if verb is missing but how can it modify noun when verb is there in previous clause!

Originally posted by Dinesh654 on 12 Apr 2022, 05:45.
Last edited by Dinesh654 on 13 Apr 2022, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Quote:
second, How can ,ing modify musicians? it's modifying Bill and the action of bill- inspired. I've seen it many times ,ing modifies nearest noun...

The word INCLUDING is not always a "VERB-ING" type modifier.
In fact, INCLUDING is usually a preposition, and that is how it is used in Answer B.

Here is a sentence that uses INCLUDING as a preposition:
Many of my friends, including Bill and Jerry, are still working from home.

This dictionary entry explains how INCLUDING is used:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... /including

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
How is 'Influential On' , Influential to' and 'influenced' different from each other and how to identify the correct phrase to be used?
Send PM
Expert Reply
chesly wrote:
How is 'Influential On' , Influential to' and 'influenced' different from each other and how to identify the correct phrase to be used?

Hello chesly,

To answer your query, "was influential on", "was influential to", and "influenced" all carry the same meaning; "influenced" is just superior to the former two, as it is active and they as passive.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts