GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 21 May 2018, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that often have many qu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that often have many qu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 20:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:38) correct 33% (00:50) wrong based on 970 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that often have many queens as well as a large number of workers.

(A) of several hundred that often have many queens as well as

(B) of several hundred, often with many of them being queens as well as having

(C) having several hundred, and often many of them are queens as well as

(D) that have several hundred of them, often with many queens as well as

(E) with several hundred that often have many queens as well as having

You have to dig deep and find out what it takes to reshuffle the cards life dealt you

2 KUDOS received
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that often have many qu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 21:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A) of several hundred that often have many queens as well as - Correct - 'that' refers to colonies

B) of several hundred, often with many of them being queens as well as having - Incorrect - Awkward

C) having several hundred, and often many of them are queens as well as - Incorrect - Pronoun error - them can refer to colonies or bumblebees

D) that have several hundred of them, often with many queens as well as - Incorrect - Pronoun error

E) with several hundred that often have many queens as well as having - Incorrect - Parallelism error

Answer: A
Expert Post
14 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that often have many qu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2016, 22:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:
Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that often have many queens as well as a large number of workers

A)

B) of several hundred, often with many of them being queens as well as having

C) having several hundred, and often many of them are queens as well as

D) that have several hundred of them, often with many queens as well as

E) with several hundred that often have many queens as well as having

Source gmatprep

Responding to a PM on why A is better than D..

A) Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that often have many queens as well as a large number of workers
Clear and concise meaning..
Bumblebees stay in several hundreds of numbers in colonies and these colonies consist of many queens as well as workers..

D) Bumblebees live in colonies that have several hundred of them, often with many queens as well as a large number of workers
Here the flaws are..

1) with many queens as well as a large number of workers...
It illogically means that bumblebees stay with many queens and workers. This in turn means bumblebees are different from Queens and workers..
Ofcourse they are part of bumblebees

2) Usage of 'that' after colonies restricts the colonies...
so now it means that bumblebees stay in COLONIES that have several hundred of them... I can further inference from this that they do not live in colonies that do not have several hundred of them..
Ofcourse if a colony consist of 1 or 1000 of them, it is a colony of bumblebees

Hope it helps

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that often have many qu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 04:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
chetan2u wrote:
Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that often have many queens as well as a large number of workers

A)

Source gmatprep

Responding to a PM on why A is better than D..

A) Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that often have many queens as well as a large number of workers
Clear and concise meaning..
Bumblebees stay in several hundreds of numbers in colonies and these colonies consist of many queens as well as workers..

D) Bumblebees live in colonies that have several hundred of them, often with many queens as well as a large number of workers
Here the flaws are..
1) with many queens as well as[/u] a large number of workers...
It illogically means that bumblebees stay with many queens and workers. This in turn means bumblebees are different from Queens and workers..
Ofcourse tye are part of bumblebees
2) Usage of 'that' after colonies restricts the colonies...
so now it means that bumblebees stay in COLONIES that have several hundred of them... I can further inference from this that they do not live in colonies that do not have several hundred of them..
Ofcourse if a colony consist of 1 or 1000 of them, it is a colony of bumblebees

Hope it helps

I am replying to the same query as well. In addition to Chetan's crisp and clear explanations, I have the following little point to add:

Option D. The relative pronoun "that" refers to "colonies". This structure implies that all the colonies (together) consist of several hundred of bumblebees. However the implied meaning is that each colony consists of several hundred of them. Therefore option D is wrong.

Option A. The above mistake is eliminated by using "colonies of several hundred" - this structure implies that each colony has several hundred bumblebees. Another example:
The students arrived in groups of 5.
Board of Directors
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Sep 2016, 08:10

A)

Source gmatprep

Egmat states -

That has 2 usage :

1. That acts as the subject of the Clause
2. That acts as the connector of 2 clauses

Here that clearly refers to the Bumblebees...

Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that ( Colonies) often have many queens as well as a large number of workers.

Hence IMHO (A) is correct

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Originally posted by Abhishek009 on 28 May 2016, 10:40.
Last edited by Abhishek009 on 24 Sep 2016, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
TYPO edited
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 06:48
This post received
KUDOS
Abhishek009 wrote:

Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that ( Bumblebees ) often have many queens as well as a large number of workers.

That refers to Colonies

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you! Please give me a kudos if you like my post

Board of Directors
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 08:09
Alok322 wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:

Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that ( Bumblebees ) often have many queens as well as a large number of workers.

That refers to Colonies

Sorry for the TYPO.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 16:49
in D, what does 'often with many queens as well as large number of workers' modify? please explain.
Current Student
S
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2016, 03:34
DeepikaV wrote:
in D, what does 'often with many queens as well as large number of workers' modify? please explain.

It refer to 'colonies'
The sentence is conveying that
a) The bumblebees live in colonies.
b) Each colony comprises of several hundred bumblebees
and
c) These colonies have queen as well as large number of workers.

Hope this clarifies your doubt!
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 14:56
If you need more practice with this type of question, a vaguely similar sentence appeared in Souvik's magnificent QOTD series last week: https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-prairie ... 42439.html

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
Bumblebees live in colonies[u] of several hundred that often have many [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 06:25

A) of several hundred that often have many queens as well as

I met this question today in the gmat prep 2, and I haven't found any threads about it.
I use parallel rule to rule out B, E.
And I remember that "having" can only be used as a unrestrictive modifier, so I rule out C.
But I cannot decide between A&D.

Thanks in advance!

-Frida
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Bumblebees live in colonies[u] of several hundred that often have many [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 07:37

A) of several hundred that often have many queens as well as- implies that colonies are several hundreds in number and many colonies have many queens .....

D) that have several hundred of them, often with many queens as well as- implies each colony have several hundred of bumblebees with many queens ....

I don't find any mistake in either of the choices. In such case, stick to the original meaning unless the original choice has a logical/meaning error.
--A--

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Director
Director
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Bumblebees live in colonies[u] of several hundred that often have many [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 08:47
fridalin wrote:

A) of several hundred that often have many queens as well as

I met this question today in the gmat prep 2, and I haven't found any threads about it.
I use parallel rule to rule out B, E.
And I remember that "having" can only be used as a unrestrictive modifier, so I rule out C.
But I cannot decide between A&D.

Thanks in advance!

-Frida

Hi
You can refer to the below post for a detailed discussion on this question.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/bumblebees-l ... 18099.html

Hope it clarifies your doubt.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 17:19
Thank you!
I guess I need to change a search engine. I didn't find this thread yesterday. :grin:
Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 19:53
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 07:48
Hi Experts,
One more question.. Is it correct to think that "having" can only be used as unrestrictive modifier (to eliminate C)?
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 21:16
I am still not clear with the usage of "that" in option A...

"That" refers to the Preceding Noun.... so in option A isn't "that" referring to "several hundred (bumblebees)" ??

Please explain !!
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 21:20
MSarmah wrote:
I am still not clear with the usage of [b]"that" in option A...[/b]

" That " refers to the Preceding Noun.... so in option A isn't [b]"that" referring to "several hundred (bumblebees)" ??[/b]

"Bumblebees" isn't the nearest noun to the word "that" in (A): "colonies of several hundred" is also a noun, and it's much closer to the modifier. And the phrase "that often have many queens..." certainly could logically modify "colonies of several hundred."

For more on the uses of the word "that" on the GMAT -- especially as a modifier -- check out this article: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 43686.html.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q32 V22

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 21:48
Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that often have many queens as well as a large number of workers.

(A) of several hundred that often have many queens as well as

(B) of several hundred, often with many of them being queens as well as having

(C) having several hundred, and often many of them are queens as well as

(D) that have several hundred of them, often with many queens as well as

(E) with several hundred that often have many queens as well as having

Initially i pick D as the correct answer however it is not. The correct answer is the A. Here is the reason why
The conjunction "that" refers to the colonies and not the phrase "of several hundred". And this the mistake which i did earlier. The colonies have many queens as well as many co-workers.

Hope this makes the clear.

-------------------------------------
+1 for kudos please
Re: Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that often have many qu   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2018, 21:48

Bumblebees live in colonies of several hundred that often have many qu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap