GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 14:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!

post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Manufacturing
WE 2: Analytics
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 02:58
hi...i read multiple posts that ask the WLers to immediately respond to decision mail... in case u want to be in the game is it a wise strategy to respond...ain't they gonna keep u in WL?? i think it makes sense to send imp updates as and when one have them .. does thankin the ad com suggests anything??
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross(R1 Admit),Harvard(R2 Ding), Wharton(R2), Booth(R1WL), Kellogg(R1 ding)
WE 1: Management Consulting

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 03:25
kt780 wrote:
hi...i read multiple posts that ask the WLers to immediately respond to decision mail... in case u want to be in the game is it a wise strategy to respond...ain't they gonna keep u in WL?? i think it makes sense to send imp updates as and when one have them .. does thankin the ad com suggests anything??

Thats my feeling too... since there are no "waitlist managers" assigned (unless im missing smthin) theres no point of a "making contact" mail.... i am leaning towards sending an update only when i have substantial information thats gonna add to my application .... views encouraged!!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 12:45
Can't find this anywhere, and I've searched - does anybody have the questions asked of recommenders for the Booth application?

My understanding is that they are specific questions, not a generic letter asked described on the website.

Just trying to determine how involved the rec will be...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 13:22
Rap2010 wrote:
Can't find this anywhere, and I've searched - does anybody have the questions asked of recommenders for the Booth application?

My understanding is that they are specific questions, not a generic letter asked described on the website.

Just trying to determine how involved the rec will be...

Have a look at my message with the attachment!! Here is the link
calling-all-2011-booth-applicants-96912-860.html
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 19:07
Count me in for R2
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago Booth, Loyola Chicago, Depaul University, University of Illinois Chicago, SAIC (MFA)
WE 1: Judicial Officer & Graphic Designer
WE 2: Marketer and Program Director of grassroot nonprofit
WE 3: Grants Manager and Program Director of arts nonprofit

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 19:41
Would like to be added to the roll call. I am applying for Booth in the second round. Early career applicant with a nice amount of experience. Will elaborate later!

CONGRATS to all the admits, good luck to the waitlisters and my fellow round 2 applicants and keep your head up to the people that received dings. This is just one step in your road to life fulfillment.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2010, 11:54
Merry Christmas, everyone!

Quick question - Booth is on holiday 23 Dec-3 Jan. As a waitlist candidate I have some updates I'd like to send. Should I send it now or later when they're open? Also, does anyone know to whom such an update should be addressed and what the title of the email should be?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth R2, Kellogg R2 (W/L - withdrawn)
WE 1: Big 4 IT Auditing

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2010, 12:41
Hi - what is the last date that recommendations can be submitted for Round 2? I vaguely recall that they can be submitted past the Jan. 5 deadline, but I can't find anything about that online. Can someone point me to where it addresses this on the Booth website?
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2010, 12:49
driege wrote:
Hi - what is the last date that recommendations can be submitted for Round 2? I vaguely recall that they can be submitted past the Jan. 5 deadline, but I can't find anything about that online. Can someone point me to where it addresses this on the Booth website?

Excerpt from the most recent chat transcript:

Booth Ad Com wrote:
If you submit an application with missing components your status will become incomplete. You will have an opportunity to provide missing materials (GMAT score,recommendations, etc) If you we do not receive within a two weeks after the deadline, your application may move into the next round.

Btw, I'm in Big 4 IT audit as well.. which one of the firms are you with?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth R2, Kellogg R2 (W/L - withdrawn)
WE 1: Big 4 IT Auditing

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2010, 13:04
staind wrote:

D&T. You?

Also, I remember hearing a specific due date for the recommendations. Maybe Jan. 12? Is there something like that out there?
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2010, 13:10
driege wrote:
staind wrote:

D&T. You?

Also, I remember hearing a specific due date for the recommendations. Maybe Jan. 12? Is there something like that out there?

EY.. I think based on the chat transcript it would be two weeks from the deadline so that would be Jan 19 - although I would recommend getting them to submit them within the deadline unless there are extenuating circumstances.
Current Student
Schools: Booth R1, Tuck, Ross

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2010, 10:12
staind wrote:
driege wrote:
staind wrote:

D&T. You?

EY.. I think based on the chat transcript it would be two weeks from the deadline so that would be Jan 19 - although I would recommend getting them to submit them within the deadline unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Based on R1, you get an extra week for the recommendations to arrive before your app is bounced to the next round (one of my recommendations was submitted a couple of days after the R1 deadline). I think the 2 week time line is because they will be printing applications in the 2 weeks following the deadline and if your stuff isn't in by then, your application won't be printed in time to be reviewed.

From experience, you don't want to be messing around after the submit deadline getting people to send in recommendations if you can possibly avoid it. There's already enough things to worry about in the application process without artificially creating more! :)
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2010, 10:21
xor0616 wrote:
kt780 wrote:

Thats my feeling too... since there are no "waitlist managers" assigned (unless im missing smthin) theres no point of a "making contact" mail.... i am leaning towards sending an update only when i have substantial information thats gonna add to my application .... views encouraged!!

When I visited Booth, in the information session I'm pretty sure I remember Eddie (a Senior Admissions Director) telling us that if we got the WL email then we should respond and confirm that we were still considering Booth and wanted to be on the WL.

Personally, I don't think it can hurt to send a short email thanking them for their time / consideration, reiterating that you're still interested in Booth and that you'll be sending some more information or evidence in the near future.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (R2 - Ding no int), Wharton (R2 - Ding no int), Kellogg (R2 - Admitted!), Booth (R2 - Admitted!)
WE 1: 3 Years Boutique Management Consulting

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2010, 13:20
Hi all - apologies in advance if this question has already been answered.

I'm filling out the short responses (extracurriculars, etc.) and wondering how much color everyone is providing since they don't list a word limit. Should I go with descriptive bullet (e.g. Campaign volunteer), or a bit more detail on what i did (e.g. canvassed prospective voters in four neighborhoods, supported “get out the vote” activities on three college campuses, and attended campaign rallies.) 

I'm hitting about a page and a half 12-point font in bullets when i give more detail (3-4 lines each) and don't want to put the ad-com to sleep!!!
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Any suggestions appreciated
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2010, 13:53
madmax wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:

There are no questions per se. However, recommenders are provided the following guidelines:

Please provide a written letter of recommendation. Be sure to include how the applicant ranks comparative to his/her peer group. Other items to consider are the applicant's:

* most salient strengths
* areas of development, including efforts the applicant has taken to show improvement
* team skills and leadership ability
* initiative, curiosity and motivation
* other matters which you feel we should know about the applicant

So, how do recommenders submit recommendation letters? Electronically? Or mail the paper copy?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago Booth, Loyola Chicago, Depaul University, University of Illinois Chicago, SAIC (MFA)

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2010, 14:01
Quote:
Hi all - apologies in advance if this question has already been answered.

I'm filling out the short responses (extracurriculars, etc.) and wondering how much color everyone is providing since they don't list a word limit. Should I go with descriptive bullet (e.g. Campaign volunteer), or a bit more detail on what i did (e.g. canvassed prospective voters in four neighborhoods, supported “get out the vote” activities on three college campuses, and attended campaign rallies.)

I'm hitting about a page and a half 12-point font in bullets when i give more detail (3-4 lines each) and don't want to put the ad-com to sleep!!!

Any suggestions appreciated

I am not sure if my technique is correct, but I am personally listing each extracurricular and giving a brief summary of what I did in each role, accomplishments, awards won within this capacity (since there is no area for this; only professional awards), etc.

I personally believe listing your involvement would not be as helpful. They would like to know what you did within these capacities to add color to your profile. But, I do understand your concern as it is one of my concerns as well. I am just trying to avoiding ranting so much (as some of my involvement spans years).

Hopefully I helped.

Excerpt from application:

Chicago Booth strongly values community involvement and we know it comes in many different forms. Tell us how you have been involved in your community. Please indicate dates of your involvement, hours per year, scope of your experience, and leadership positions held.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2010, 14:04
ounce wrote:
madmax wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:

There are no questions per se. However, recommenders are provided the following guidelines:

Please provide a written letter of recommendation. Be sure to include how the applicant ranks comparative to his/her peer group. Other items to consider are the applicant's:

* most salient strengths
* areas of development, including efforts the applicant has taken to show improvement

So, how do recommenders submit recommendation letters? Electronically? Or mail the paper copy?

Online. You enter your recommenders name into the data form and the application will send your recommenders an email for their letter.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2010, 19:45
ounce wrote:
madmax wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:

* most salient strengths

When you enter your recommender's details in the application portal they are sent their own personal login to the portal. When they log in they will have to rate you (out of 5, against your peers) in a number of different categories and then upload their letter of recommendation.
Manager
Manager
Status: 99% people must have tried giving 'kudos' to oneself !!!! forget the 1% ...pathetic !
Schools: Anderson (D), McDonough(A with aid), Fisher(A with aid), Carlson(A), Babson(A with aid), Foster(A with aid), GWU (A)& Carroll(Admit with aid)

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2010, 05:02
count me in for R2 !
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE: Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2010, 10:51
Guys have a quicky on copyright issues in our 4 empty pages question. What can we use without acknowledging the source and what can't we? I am thinking logos of companies, copyrighted pics are strict no nos. But what about pictures on the internet? Picture of Eiffiel tower for example? I can use them can't I?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2010, 10:51

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  66   67   68   69   70  ...  185    Next  [ 3693 posts ] 

Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderators: carbazzy, fatmike, ambera33