GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 15:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!

post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2010, 11:25
randomwalk wrote:
Guys have a quicky on copyright issues in our 4 empty pages question. What can we use without acknowledging the source and what can't we? I am thinking logos of companies, copyrighted pics are strict no nos. But what about pictures on the internet? Picture of Eiffiel tower for example? I can use them can't I?

I'd recommend declaring the source. Have you considered using http://www.public-domain-image.com/?
I used some images that I found on Amazon. In the lower right corner of the relevant page, I added a footnote similar to "Image source: http://www.amazon.com".
Schools: Kellogg, Booth

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2010, 11:29
randomwalk wrote:
Guys have a quicky on copyright issues in our 4 empty pages question. What can we use without acknowledging the source and what can't we? I am thinking logos of companies, copyrighted pics are strict no nos. But what about pictures on the internet? Picture of Eiffiel tower for example? I can use them can't I?

Random guess: I'm pretty sure pictures of things like the Eiffel Tower are public domain and you shouldn't have to worry. I don't know how much I would worry about other copyrights as you aren't using it for monetary gain. The caveat being that I'm far from a lawyer and didn't use any images like that in my pp.
Current Student
Schools: Booth R1, Tuck, Ross

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2010, 11:43
deechi wrote:
randomwalk wrote:

Random guess: I'm pretty sure pictures of things like the Eiffel Tower are public domain and you shouldn't have to worry. I don't know how much I would worry about other copyrights as you aren't using it for monetary gain. The caveat being that I'm far from a lawyer and didn't use any images like that in my pp.

Pictures are a bit 'awkward' when it comes to copyright. From what I remember a photo belongs to the person that took the picture (even if they are taken in public places) but if it features a particular person or some particular (unique and well-known) imagery then the person or owner of the thing in the picture also has a claim. The only caveat (and this can change depending upon which country you're in) is that if the picture is taken in a public place then generally the subject of the photo has no rights. Did I mention I'm not a lawyer?

I used some photo's I didn't own in my pp for Booth; I just put a small (6pt) attribution line on the relevant slides so as not to interfere with the rest of the content. If you do use some of your own pictures then I would point that out as well, perhaps say where and when you took the photo.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2010, 13:48
mjb wrote:
deechi wrote:
randomwalk wrote:

Pictures are a bit 'awkward' when it comes to copyright. From what I remember a photo belongs to the person that took the picture (even if they are taken in public places) but if it features a particular person or some particular (unique and well-known) imagery then the person or owner of the thing in the picture also has a claim. The only caveat (and this can change depending upon which country you're in) is that if the picture is taken in a public place then generally the subject of the photo has no rights. Did I mention I'm not a lawyer?

I used some photo's I didn't own in my pp for Booth; I just put a small (6pt) attribution line on the relevant slides so as not to interfere with the rest of the content. If you do use some of your own pictures then I would point that out as well, perhaps say where and when you took the photo.

MJB, you're referring to something called expectation of privacy.

This is much ado about nothing. You can make a reasonable argument that the use of the picture in this setting constitutes fair use. Just put a small line with the attribution (IE: "Source: economist.com") underneath the picture and be done.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2010, 15:05
My app went complete today..

then again I applied wayy early
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2010, 16:08
jmtomaz wrote:
My app went complete today..

then again I applied wayy early

Why submit so early? Does it give any advantage? I just hope I can finish my application before the deadline... LOL...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2010, 22:38
1. I applied round 1 to few schools, and i was able to pick and part my topics, so writing booth's essay wasn't that hard. And my rec's were sent in at once. So instead of waiting around, i just applied.

2. I dont think there is an advantage...but my guess is:

app sent early
top of the pile
read sooner
interview invite/ding sooner
admit/ding
profit!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 00:39
fyi I've applied in R1, 10 days before the deadline. My app went complete the day after the deadline (others had it completed 3 weeks later).

Not sure if it helped, but I think my app was read early compared with the people that applied the last day.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 02:57
Count me in for R2.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2013
WE 1: US Military

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 04:42
Im in for R2. Essays just about done.

Let's do this! Im REALLLYYY hoping for Booth
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 13:48
Where are you supposed to upload your transcript? I don't see a place for it in the Education section, am I missing something?
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (R2 - ding), Wharton (R2 - interview)
WE 1: Fortune 1000 Ins Co, 6yrs

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 14:22
In for R2. Essays not done yet.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 14:54
Michmax3 wrote:
Where are you supposed to upload your transcript? I don't see a place for it in the Education section, am I missing something?

When you click on "Add New" in the Education section, it takes you to a page where you can add your undergrad university details and upload your transcript. If you've already added your university details, you can click on the edit option to go back and upload the transcript.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2 - ding), Booth (R2 - WL - In!), Kellogg (R2 - ding), MIT Sloan (R2 - ding)
WE 1: 6

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 15:27
Almost done with my essays, working on the presentation. The risk essay is a bit iffy for me, but I feel others are pretty solid. In for round 2!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 15:39
For question 1a, i noticed that booth asks why you want to pursue a FULL-time MBA, rather than just an MBA. Did you guys delve into a brief discussion of why you want to attend the full-time program rather than part-time?
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2 - ding), Booth (R2 - WL - In!), Kellogg (R2 - ding), MIT Sloan (R2 - ding)

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 15:42
Interesting observation - personally I didn't. Unless someone has a job in Chicago, I'm not sure how a part-time MBA fits in.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 15:45
alienfluid wrote:
Interesting observation - personally I didn't. Unless someone has a job in Chicago, I'm not sure how a part-time MBA fits in.

I read an analysis by some consultant who said that if you're "older," you might want to bring it up. I just turned 30 and work in chicago, so i'm wondering if i should delve into it. But with only 300 words, i don't think if i'll have space or if it's even necessary. I might be overanalyzing this.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 15:47
Maybe just a sentence or two about why FULL-time (rather than why not PART-time)? For example, for career switchers, it makes sense to go full-time.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 15:52
When I visited Booth, I asked one adcom member whether, in essay 1a, they were looking for
(1) why MBA and why now, or
(2)why MBA, why now, and why full-time.

She said it was the latter. I ended up addressing the why full-time question in one sentence.

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2010, 15:54
wiredo wrote:
When I visited Booth, I asked one adcom member whether, in essay 1a, they were looking for
(1) why MBA and why now, or
(2)why MBA, why now, and why full-time.

She said it was the latter. I ended up addressing the why full-time question in one sentence.

Thanks! That was extremely helpful!

Still working on my first drafts. I know it's bad, but the wharton and columbia essays consumed my life for the past month, in addition to calculus and statistics courses.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2010, 15:54

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  67   68   69   70   71  ...  185    Next  [ 3693 posts ] 

Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderators: carbazzy, fatmike, ambera33