GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2019, 18:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!

post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2010, 10:44
eskimoroll wrote:
I'm definitely not looking forward to declining a school's offer. I have a lot emotionally invested in each school and while I know this process is for my future development, you can't help but form relationships along the way with alumni, adcom, and students who all hope you join them. I guess I'm a people pleaser and I don't like the idea of disappointing anyone.

I echo that sentiment wholeheartedly. For myself, I honestly had very low expectations for this entire process and am genuinely shocked by the outcome so far. I think the one silver lining to making that choice is that once you decide on a school, that is one of your friends from work or a fellow forum member here who is admitted from the waitlist and given a chance to enroll at the other schools.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2010, 03:26
Just wondering if there are any Chicago admits currently living in Singapore. Please PM me as I would be interested in organizing a get-together.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg, Booth

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2010, 05:23
You can look up people in the community directory and people have been organizing geographical meet ups via the google group.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2010, 11:42
@eskimoroll You are in a great position. If I were you, I'd put down the $1k deposit for Booth if you can't decide between the two. I think a lot of people will be putting down the deposit, especially for those applying in R2, so as to not lose their spot.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth (Admit R1), Sloan (Ding R1), Tuck (R1)

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2010, 22:50
rhyme wrote:
Congrats to all who are in.

I have a lot to say about how to best prepare yourself for the MBA experience and Booth interview processes in particular. If I did a quick webinar on this, would people be interested? Nothing fancy, I'd just wing it.

Would be greatly interested!! Loved your webinar on the interview prep.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2010, 07:31
jkl84 wrote:
Just wondering if there are any Chicago admits currently living in Singapore. Please PM me as I would be interested in organizing a get-together.

For sure lah.

Even you don't know singlish lah, you will by the time you graduate lah, cause everyone speaks singlish lah.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE: Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2010, 08:37
rhyme wrote:

For sure lah.

Even you don't know singlish lah, you will by the time you graduate lah, cause everyone speaks singlish lah.

Da fck! Rhymes' in Singapore?! Great! Would you be dropping by for the Chicago Booth Alumni hosted event this wednesday?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2010, 11:41
randomwalk wrote:
rhyme wrote:

For sure lah.

Da fck! Rhymes' in Singapore?! Great! Would you be dropping by for the Chicago Booth Alumni hosted event this wednesday?

Sorry I was trying to be funnay. I'm not actually in singapore lah, but I'm sure there will be many admits there.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford R1, Wharton R1, Chicago R1, UCLA R1, Cornell R2

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Dec 2010, 15:11
Hi all,

I updated the spreadsheet with reported Round 1 decisions. Take a look and see if everything is accurate. If you are in purple, please edit the spreadsheet or post your final decision on the board and I will edit the spreadsheet. And now for a long winded analysis. 8-) The colors let you know which stats are comparable.

Here are the total stats for Round 1:

Admit: 25.3% (42/166)
Waitlist: 22.3% (37/166)
Ding w/o Interview: 14% (23/166)
Ding w/ Interview: 22.3% (37/166)
Unknown w/ Interview: 16.2% (27/166)

From what I have gathered, we have just 14% reporting a ding before interview. That is suspiciously low (as can be expected), so we will just look at decisions post interview (total of 143):

Accepted: 29.4% (42/143)
Waitlisted: 25.9% (37/143)
Ding: 25.9% (37/143)
Unknown: 19% (27/143)

Last year’s thread is a bit of a mess. I’ve tried to put together solid stats but there may still be errors. Last year's Round 1 total stats were (total of 69):

Admit: 23.2% (16/69)
Waitlist: 29% (20/69) ((Admit after Waitlist: 50% (10/20)))
Ding w/o interview: 20.3% (14/69)
Ding w/ Interview: 13% (9/69)
Unknown w/ Interview: 14.5% (10/69)

Again, a very low Ding w/o interview rate. So let’s just look at the stats post-interview. (total of 55):

Admit: 29% (16/55)
Waitlist: 36.4% (20/55)
Ding: 16.4% (9/55)
Unknown: 18.2% (10/55)

The post-interview statistics make for an interesting comparison. We have almost three times as many post-interview applicants this year, so who knows how reliable this data is. The admit rate is about the same (~29%). The waitlist rate appears to be much lower this year, only 25% compared to last year’s 36%. The ding rate post interview appears to be higher this year, 26% compared to last year’s 16%. The unknown post interview rate is also about the same. We can probably assume that most of the unknowns are waitlist or dings.

To my fellow Round 1 waitlisters:

We seem to be in pretty good shape. The waitlist % is lower this year (at least among GMAT clubbers) while the other stats have held fairly steady. Of the 20 waitlisters from Round 1 last year, 9 were accepted in March on the Round 2 decision date (1 with money) and 1 was accepted in May. Only 1 waitlist ding was reported and that was in March. 2 of the 20 reported withdraws before the R2 decision date, 2 were waitlisted through the summer, and 5 did not report after the original december waitlisting.

So, if this year is like last year, about half of us can expect good news in March. Not bad odds, hopefully it will help relieve the anxiety over the next 3 months.

Best of luck to everyone. Let me know if you see any numerical errors here and I’ll fix them.

Originally posted by earlycareerMBA on 19 Dec 2010, 17:11.
Last edited by earlycareerMBA on 20 Dec 2010, 15:11, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2010, 17:25
Well, if you compare to my year, we are doing much better. I was the only FT admit in R1 I think :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2010, 17:26
Good analysis earlycareerMBA. Thanks for taking the time!
Schools: R1: Booth (admit), Stern (admit), CBS (ding)
WE 1: 5

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2010, 09:41
I was admitted and have no idea where to get an answer to the following question: Does Booth have a policy (formal or informal) on how early is too early to quit your job? I hate mine and would like to quit as soon as humanly possible.

Any thoughts or info anyone has would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2010, 09:45
bonkselle23 wrote:
I was admitted and have no idea where to get an answer to the following question: Does Booth have a policy (formal or informal) on how early is too early to quit your job? I hate mine and would like to quit as soon as humanly possible.

I don't think they would have a 'policy' on something like this but potential recruiters post MBA definitely would. The onus is on you to figure out how to account for the months that you are not working before you join business school, I would think. If you can explain it (time off/travel/social work/part time work/freelance/whatever you choose to do) to a future employer in a manner that he remains impressed by your credentials, then quit as soon as you want to!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2010, 09:46
bonkselle23 wrote:

How many months of WE did you say (in your application) did you say you'd have upon matriculating? I think you'd need to honor whatever number you put in.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2010, 09:58
osbornecox wrote:
bonkselle23 wrote:

How many months of WE did you say (in your application) did you say you'd have upon matriculating? I think you'd need to honor whatever number you put in.

If it's of any help, I asked them via e-mail after being admitted and they said it's an entirely personal decision and up to you, as long as you attend the mandatory orientation on September 7th.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2010, 11:53
just added myself to the list. Waitlisted
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2010, 18:52
ok I have a question. I added a recommender for Booth and I got an email saying he has submitted the rec. However in the online application, I don't see his record, its gone.. How is that possible? Is it that once the rec is submitted its no longer visible?
Schools: Stanford, Haas, UCLA, Darden, Booth!!, Kellogg, UW, UT-Austin, USC, UCI
WE 1: 4 Years Airline Pilot
WE 2: 1 Year International Jet Instructor (Uruguay)
WE 3: 1 Year Startup Flight School

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2010, 22:55
Hey fellow R1 waitlisters, I was in your place at this time last year, wondering if I'd get a break and accepted later in the process. I got the admit call for R2, then six weeks later got a call giving me a half-ride scholarship (totally shocked at this). I matriculated and it's been a great ride so far! So it's not over yet! Try not to think about it too much and good luck.

It's also worth noting is that I never got off of the waitlist for Kellogg. :-D So this process may have as much to do with luck as the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross(R1 Admit),Harvard(R2 Ding), Wharton(R2), Booth(R1WL), Kellogg(R1 ding)
WE 1: Management Consulting

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 02:49
ultraeasy wrote:
Hey fellow R1 waitlisters, I was in your place at this time last year, wondering if I'd get a break and accepted later in the process. I got the admit call for R2, then six weeks later got a call giving me a half-ride scholarship (totally shocked at this). I matriculated and it's been a great ride so far! So it's not over yet! Try not to think about it too much and good luck.

It's also worth noting is that I never got off of the waitlist for Kellogg. :-D So this process may have as much to do with luck as the GMAT.

@ultraeasy : Could you share some of the things you did to improve your chances at UC (update letter-when would be best to send it? ... or any other steps) - im sure many of us would be eager to know...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 02:53
rhyme wrote:
jkl84 wrote:

For sure lah.

Lol, this post really got my attention. :lol:
I'm from Singapore and got accepted too.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2010, 02:53

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  65   66   67   68   69  ...  185    Next  [ 3693 posts ] 

Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderators: fatmike, ambera33