GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 17:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018

post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 09:37
AvgEng wrote:
I applied on 11/11 for RD. Should I expect to hear back within 4 weeks or 6, considering the thanksgiving break?

I applied around then too. I think it'll be closer to six weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 10:30
AnthonyMason wrote:
Has anyone else who was invited for RD interview had theirs yet? Trying to get a sense of how long the turnaround from interview to decision is. Mine is at the end of this week.

I've got mine this afternoon. I'll post once I get my decision to give everyone an idea of the time line at the moment
Current Student
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 10:53
GeeMcGee wrote:
AnthonyMason wrote:
Has anyone else who was invited for RD interview had theirs yet? Trying to get a sense of how long the turnaround from interview to decision is. Mine is at the end of this week.

I've got mine this afternoon. I'll post once I get my decision to give everyone an idea of the time line at the moment

Thanks and good luck!

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 18:11
AnthonyMason wrote:
GeeMcGee wrote:
Thanks and good luck!

Thanks, and same to you! I think it went really well, very casual conversation that lasted about an hour. My interviewer submitted feedback a couple hours after the interview so we shall see. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get a final decision!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.64
WE: Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 18:28
Invite!

Applied 10/6
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 07:45
Has anyone gotten an email that says there's been a status update, but then when you log in, there's no change to the status?
Current Student
Schools: Stern '18 (A)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 08:28
sourpatchwat5 wrote:
Has anyone gotten an email that says there's been a status update, but then when you log in, there's no change to the status?

yea, same thing happened to me this morning. are you contacting them to ask about it?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 08:51
noma234 wrote:
sourpatchwat5 wrote:

yea, same thing happened to me this morning. are you contacting them to ask about it?

i haven't - was going to see if any updates came through by end of today...
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 09:03
sourpatchwat5 wrote:
noma234 wrote:
sourpatchwat5 wrote:

i haven't - was going to see if any updates came through by end of today...

mine just came through, rejected :/
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 09:06
mine just came through, rejected :/[/quote]

Ahh...same, rejected. Best of luck on your others.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 09:19
Sorry about the rejection guys. I feel like mine is on its way too. I applied 10/6 well, and it looks like CBS sent out invites already for that date.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.48
WE: Public Relations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 09:55
I'm sorry to hear that sourpatchwat5 and noma234. Best of luck with your other schools!
Would you mind sharing when you submitted your app?
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.48
WE: Public Relations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 09:56
I'm sorry to hear that sourpatchwat5 and noma234. Best of luck with your other schools!
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 09:57
heyjude07 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that xx . Best of luck with your other schools!

yep, i submitted 10/7, round 1 regular decision
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 10:31
Submitted on 10/6, completed on 10/19 (recommendations)... still nothing. Do they review in the order of submission / completion?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.64
WE: Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 10:33
hwu580 wrote:
Submitted on 10/6, completed on 10/19 (recommendations)... still nothing. Do they review in the order of submission / completion?

Mine was submitted and completed on 10/6 for RD and I received the interview email yesterday.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 10:36
hwu580 wrote:

It's by completion date. So they will start reviewing yours when they start with 10/9 reviews
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 11:25
nicelystupid wrote:
hwu580 wrote:

It's by completion date. So they will start reviewing yours when they start with 10/9 reviews

Thanks dude - appreciate your response.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 13:38
Anyone know how long interviewers have to submit feedback, or their recommended timeline? I had my interview Monday morning and have been frantically refreshing for a status update!!
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 14:03
Guys, Posting here summary and transcript of recent CBS live chat.

How do you normalize the interviews since there are so many alumni and all varying styles?

CBS_Kelsey: We communicate with our interview ambassadors and give them guidance and training on what we're looking for in the interview process. Although we understand that each alum is different, most alums have done multiple interviews.

How do you make sure that no alum is biased towards certain specific background/profile/education etc?

CBS_Matthew: We ask our alums to consider all of our candidates equally during the interview process. Keep in mind the interview is one aspect of the application and one piece of the holistic interview process. We will consider the interview along with the rest of the application when we make the final decision.

Is it appropriate to ask an interviewer when they think they'll be able to submit feedback since it is a rolling process?

CBS_Kelsey: Ambassadors are instructed to submit within 48 hours. After that, we begin "nudging" them. I advise not to put yourself in an uncomfortable situation to ask when they believe they will submit feedback. Let us "nudge" them for you!

I've heard great things about the NYC Immersion Seminars from the few students I have spoken to. As a prospective student with an interest in healthcare, I was wondering if there are plans in place for a healthcare-specific Immersion Seminar in the near future. Thanks!

CBS_Kelsey: Excellent question. We met with the healthcare department last month. They're working on some exciting ventures, though currently there is not a healthcare immersion seminar in the works as far as I know. That said, the NYC immersion program itself is new - there could be something in the works for upcoming years.

If fortunate enough to receive an interview, what is the typical wait time to hear a decision after feedback is submitted?

CBS_Kelsey: After feedback is submitted, applicants will hear within 2 weeks. It could be the next day, it could be the full 14 days. It depends on the volume of applications at that current moment.

Are applications reviewed in an exact order of date of completion or is it based on more of a rough period of completion date?

CBS_Matthew: We review the applications in the order we receive them. If you happen to know someone applied earlier/or later than you keep in mind that there isn't an exact speed for the process. Our goal is to move candidates to the next step of the process (either denied or invitation to interview) within six weeks of submission.

Wasn’t interview to invitation target 3 weeks earlier, unlike 6 weeks stated by Matt? Is there any such change or I am mistaken!!

CBS_Kelsey: The invitation target changes week-to-week, depending on the application volume. Earlier in the summer, target can sit anywhere from 2-3 weeks. Around November and December, it shifts closer to the 6 weeks.

Are re-applicants penalized? I would like to apply in the spring and, if not accepted, apply Early Decision in the fall. Could this negatively affect the fall application? Thank you very much.

CBS_Kelsey: Re-applicants are absolutely NOT penalized. I love re-applicants! Those who decide to reapply are showing that a little adversity doesn't stop them, a skill that will serve re-applicants well, not just in b-school but throughout life!

What is the scholarship process like?

CBS_Kelsey: the scholarship process is 2-pronged. Merit-based fellowships are awarded by the Admissions Office. There is no separate application process, your entire application is the merit-based fellowship application. In order to be considered for merit-based fellowships, you must apply by January 6. The other half of this is Financial Aid. You can begin working with the Financial Aid office as soon as you're admitted. You can find more information here: https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/programs/ ... ancial-aid

Thank you Kelsey. When will these begin going out?

CBS_Kelsey: We begin awarding the majority of merit-based fellowships in February, but that process can continue up until August. If the fellowship is awarded later in the summer, we'll notify you.

Would you recommend that I retake the GMAT if I think I can do better, or would you prefer a lower score with fewer re-takes? (For example, an 800 after retaking 6 times might give red flags?)

CBS_Matthew: The number of times you take the GMAT does not impact your application. If anything it shows us that you are dedicated to the process. If you feel you can do better on the GMAT then we encourage you to consider retaking it if you have the time and resources to do so.

I was wondering if you will release all ED decisions before starting to send out RD decisions. I am an ED applicant who interviewed over 3 weeks ago but my interviewer hasn't submitted feedback yet. Is there a recourse for alternate arrangements (another interview or Skype interview with AdCom) if my interviewer doesn't submit feedback soon?

CBS_Kelsey: We finish up reviewing the early decision applications before we start reviewing regular decision. This doesn't necessarily mean that we will have rendered a decision on all early decision applications (as interviews can take longer than expected, for example). We monitor whether the feedback has been submitted. Please know that a late report does NOT reflect negatively on an applicant. We follow up with the interviewer by email or phone - we begin following up on behalf of the applicant.

Do the upcoming holidays slow down the admission process? Do you think September RD applicants could have final decisions by the end of the year?

CBS_Matthew: We will be closed for parts of the holidays, but we will not have a complete shutdown during the holidays for more than two days so we will still be making decisions. We have started inviting RD candidates to interview so it is possible that decisions will be made before the end of the year.

Could you please shed some lights on how an application is reviewed? Is it initially reviewed by a committee vs an admission officer, etc?

CBS_Matthew: Applications will be reviewed by at least two admissions officers and then by committee before a final decision is made.

Could you please let us know what sort of Career Coaching students (both domestic and international) can expect from the Career Service at CBS?

CBS_Matthew: All students are able to take advantage of industry specific career coaches as well as alums. There are also second year career fellows who are industry specific and available to all students. The clubs are also a great resource for our students to get career and alumni advice.

What are you looking for in terms of the financial planning portion of the application? Are self-payers preferred?

CBS_Kelsey: We ask that you consider the full cost of the 2 year program. We ask this so that you begin thinking about the financial logistics of taking on a program. We do not consider this in our decision process, per se. Every applicant has a different financial situation. We aim to have a diverse class, even when it comes to personal finances.

For an ED applicant who has unforeseen life changes arise after submitting an ED app, what are the consequence (lawsuit, offer rescind) of applying to another school?

CBS_Kelsey: When you submit an ED application, we have applicants sign the honor code. This states that if you are accepted, you withdraw all other applications to schools. That said, life happens sometimes. Declining will not result in a lawsuit. We cannot force a student to matriculate if they simply cannot afford it, though we try to make it financial feasible for all. I want to add that we encourage students to consider all factors before they apply. If they aren't able to consider all these facets, we encourage students to apply regular decision.

Matt, what is one thing about Columbia that prospective students will NOT get to know from online resources like the college website or chat rooms?

CBS_Matthew: I think every candidate who is considering Columbia Business School should visit campus if they can. This way they can see for themselves how collaborate, fun, and diverse our student body is.

What weight and consideration does a business certificate from Columbia's school of continuing studies have for potential candidates?

CBS_Kelsey: A business certificate from any school, not just Columbia, shows a dedication to education and familiarity with the CU campus - which is great! All prospectives don't have the ability to take a continuing education course (due to time, money, other obligations), that said.

Another healthcare-related question -- with the Healthcare & Pharmaceutical MGMT Program now under the direction of Ms. Lorraine Marchand, can you please speak to the changes she has in mind for the program going forward? Thanks!

CBS_Kelsey: This is a rather large question! I would suggest reaching to a current student in the healthcare program: https://apply.gsb.columbia.edu/portal/contact-students I will say that AdCom met with her last month to discuss the changes. To start more integration with NYC and BioMed companies, to put it in a few words.

Apart from the essay, how else can candidates seeking to change careers communicate in the application their desire for an MBA? Volunteer work, attending professional seminars, etc?

CBS_Matthew: The application process is holistic so there isn't a check list what you need to do to express your interest. I encourage you to present you and your experiences genuinely and we will get to know you through your application.

Are all interviews conducted by alumni only, or do you also do adcom interviews?

CBS_Kelsey: 99% of interviews are conducted by alums. Only in rare cases with an interview be conducted by adcom (there are 0 available alums in your area and you are not travelling to another city, adcom is traveling to your city and is available to interview prospective students). Alums know what it was like to be a student, so their feedback is valuable!

Chat Transcript
Attachment:
Columbia Admissions Chat 3rd Dec 15.pdf [1.14 MiB]
Downloaded 39 times
To download please login or register as a user

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 &nbs [#permalink] 09 Dec 2015, 14:03

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  53   54   55   56   57   58   59  ...  78    Next  [ 1549 posts ] 

Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018

post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap