GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2019, 16:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2015, 05:46
Try searching "Perspectives on Case method" on youtube. They have a couple of videos.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2015, 06:38
Thanks rohitpoddar007!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2015, 09:51
Congrats to everyone who received interview invites! Huge accomplishment, but its not over yet. Only 50% of applicants Harvard interviews are accepted. I compiled a master list of the questions Harvard asks and the probability that you will be asked it.

Good luck!

FROM MBA Data Guru: HBS Interview Questions and Preparation
HBS Interview Questions and Preparation

You have just received your HBS interview invitation and now you realize that you need to prepare for one of the most important interviews of your life. After all the Harvard acceptance rate for those interviewed is still only 50%. This guide will tell you what to expect during the interview and what are the most frequently asked questions during a Harvard MBA interview. Be sure to spend ample time preparing, because you know that everyone else invited by Harvard to interview will be also.

What to Expect in the HBS Interview
The interview will be 30 minutes long and will be conducted by two admissions committee members. It can take place on-campus, off-campus hub, or even sometimes over skype. There are many Harvard MBA interview questions that pop up pretty frequently, but Harvard has a lot more variation in the questions they ask than other schools. Harvard is going to dig deeper and ask follow up questions, similar to a McKinsey behavioral interview. You can expect anywhere from 5 to 18 questions during the interview. On average Harvard will ask you 11 interview questions.

Harvard will ask a lot of detailed questions about your resume and essays. Expect the adcoms to have read your full application. They seem to ask a lot of questions about choices and transitions that you have made. They will ask not only why you made that transition but how you made the transition.

List of HBS Interview Questions
Here is a list of the most common Harvard MBA interview questions. It is compiled from Clear Admit interview reports. I calculated the probability of a person receiving each question in an interview so you know which questions to prepare for most. Sometimes they will ask a slight variation to the questions below.

• (70%) What are your weaknesses? What is negative feedback you have received? What do you struggle with?
  • (60%) Why did you choose ABC employer or transition to ABC employer? How did you get XYZ job?
  • (55%) Is there anything you wish we had asked?
  • (50%) What are your long term goals / plans? What do you want to do post MBA?
  • (45%) Tell me about yourself.
  • (45%) Why did you pick your college?
  • (45%) What are your strengths?
  • (35%) Why get an MBA?
  • (30%) Describe your industry and role? What do you make of XYZ new competitor in your industry?
  • (30%) What do you do in your job? What does a typical day at your current job look like?
  • (25%) What is your dream job (or internship)?
  • (20%) Tell me about a challenge you have faced.
  • (20%) Tell about a company outside of your area of interest that you appreciate?
  • (15%) What do you like to do for fun? What do you do outside work?
  • (15%) Was moving to the United States (or other country) hard? Did you experience a cultural shock?
  • (15%) Why Harvard? How have you gotten to know us?
  • (10%) Why did you pick your major? What was the process?
  • (10%) How did you get these promotions?
  • (10%) Tell me some more about your siblings or family.
  • (10%) What would you do differently if you were CEO of your company?
  • (10%) What’s an issue in the news you always follow?
  • (10%) Did you visit an HBS class? What did you think?
Interestingly they don’t frequently ask why Harvard as much as other schools. Perhaps because Harvard is one of the most prestigious and hard to get into school in the world. You should prepare for at least the first 9 HBS interview questions on the list because you have a very high chance of being asked one of these questions. Be sure to read my guide on how to prepare for an MBA interview.

MBA Data Guru - Data and analytics that will help you in the MBA admissions process
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.55
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2015, 18:11
Hi all,

I got an interview invite and this will be my first time in Boston. Anyone, who have visited HBS, have recommendations for travel arrangements? What's the best way to get around? I will be there for two days.

I have friends near the area, but I heard traffic was so bad that I might as well get a place closer and walk. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2015, 00:43
GMAT17325 wrote:
Hi all,

I got an interview invite and this will be my first time in Boston. Anyone, who have visited HBS, have recommendations for travel arrangements? What's the best way to get around? I will be there for two days.

I have friends near the area, but I heard traffic was so bad that I might as well get a place closer and walk. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Keep in mind that HBS is not close to downtown Boston. I would recommend to stay at the hotel that is closest to HBS. If you open the page with the details of the interview, there is a link to the Doubletree hotel reservation page and you can get a preferential rate.
Boston is an amazing city, but taking into account the snow and all that, I think that staying close to the school is a good way to prevent any problems with the weather, transportation, etc.
I hope you find this helpful
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V170
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2015, 06:56
I'd call around that list of hotels they provide on their page (http://www.hbs.edu/mba/visit/Pages/hote ... ation.aspx). I ended up getting a nice rate at The Charles Hotel. I didn't walk it because I was in a suit and didn't want to stress out. Given the snow, I'd recommend taking an Uber or a cab. I didn't have any trouble with traffic near HBS.

Seriously though, watch out for that snow. My plans to apartment hunt on Monday went right out the window.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2015, 11:35
GMAT17325 wrote:
Hi all,

Hi there! I grew up in the area and my mom's still there. She said the snow is absolutely out of control right now - public transportation system has been down for a few days. No sign of it warming up any time soon. Definitely stay in Cambridge if you can help it. Best of luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2015, 18:50
Hi all, Congrats on the interview invites!
When visiting campus, try to get a room at the Charles Hotel or Doubletree (walking distance from campus). HBS is about a 10-15 minute cab ride from downtown Boston. Taking a cab from Logan airport to campus will cost you about $40 each way; an uber is about $30.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.96
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 02:10
Had my interview today and it was nowhere near as stressful as anticipated. I was actually really surprised with how nice they were. My advice...don't worry about it!

Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 11:06
Guys - any advice on what tie to wear for HBS interview?
I've heard "conversational" (little animals / figures) ties are a no-no. Any guidance here?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V46
GPA: 3.82

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 23:19
rog45 wrote:
Guys - any advice on what tie to wear for HBS interview?
I've heard "conversational" (little animals / figures) ties are a no-no. Any guidance here?

Formal business attire but don't wear anything goofy of course. Don't walk in like the wolf of wall street with gold cufflinks, but don't wear a Disney themed tie either...so if you're a guy, a suit (dark blue/black) with a tie and black shoes. Nothing out of the ordinary but look polished. It's about you not your outfit, unless you make it about your outfit, which would not be good.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.56
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 12:28
Anybody headed up to Boston this week? I'm flying up tomorrow, class visit on Wednesday, and admissions events/interview on Thursday. Starting to get worried about the weather...I know yesterday they shut down public transportation because of the blizzard.

Anyone in the same boat?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V33
GMAT 2: 600 Q41 V31
GPA: 3.58
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 17:54
manbear677 wrote:
Anybody headed up to Boston this week? I'm flying up tomorrow, class visit on Wednesday, and admissions events/interview on Thursday. Starting to get worried about the weather...I know yesterday they shut down public transportation because of the blizzard.

Anyone in the same boat?

Same here! Well... I get there on Wednesday and am doing events and interview on Thursday with flight home Thursday. I am super worried about the weather, but feel like I have to show that I can brave it if I want to go to school there... right?! I'm a bit nervous about some sort of travel band over Boston though... has anyone heard that that may be coming?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V33
GMAT 2: 600 Q41 V31
GPA: 3.58
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 18:00
DefyingGravity wrote:
Hi all, Congrats on the interview invites!
When visiting campus, try to get a room at the Charles Hotel or Doubletree (walking distance from campus). HBS is about a 10-15 minute cab ride from downtown Boston. Taking a cab from Logan airport to campus will cost you about $40 each way; an uber is about $30.

Thanks for the tips! I got an airbnb near campus and plan on using Uber to get around. Any tips for the weather? Maybe this sounds silly, but I'm trying to figure out what to wear for the campus tour given all the snow and I'll be in interview attire :?
Intern
Intern
Round 3 - Should You or Shouldn't You?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 10:00
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Round 3 - Should You or Shouldn't You?
I've been staring at this for days. Nagged by my team: Can you please get something up on the blog about Round 3?!!!.

Not trying to be lazy, but I can't improve upon this. It's a classic.

I hope that the message is clear.

---------------------

You want to go to business school. You really do. But the fall season kind of got away from you. You were busy. Work was demanding. You simply didn't have time to hunker down and focus on b-school applications.

Now you've got it together. Ready. But there's all this noise about Round 3. Discouraging and worrisome noise. Let's try to address some of the myths.

Myth #1: There are no spots available.

Not true. We manage the selection process to ensure that there are always spots open for the candidates we want. Are there as many spots open as in Rounds 1 and 2? No. Are there as many applicants? No. Do I think a strong candidate has a fair shot? Yes.

Myth #2: We've run out of financial aid.

Not true. The very last person admitted to the class has access to the same need-based financial aid that the very first person received.

Myth #3: If I get dinged in Round 3, I can't/shouldn't apply the next season in Round 1.

Not true. There's absolutely no stigma in re-applying 5 months later. Happens a lot. Many people in our classroom today were successful re-applicants.

Myth #4: It's too late for 2+2 applicants.

Not true. Not even close to true. Round 3 is a great choice for 2+2 applicants. Why? We can be more flexible about the number of 2+2 admits given that we are not worried about a seat being occupied for this September. College seniors have another semester of grades to show us. And another semester of activities. I also see a 2+2 application as a good dress rehearsal for future applications - and possibly interviews - to lots of other selective scenarios. If you aren't admitted to 2+2, we like to say (over and over): It doesn't mean not ever, it means not now. Besides, it's a great deal. $100 application fee. A chance to get the standardized tests over with when you're in test-taking mode. And, best of all, two or three years to explore and then come to HBS.

Myth #5: There's no Welcome Weekend for Round 3 admits.

True. But all the interviews will be held on campus so you'll get to see us in real time. And here's some advice about visiting classes and the campus:

If you want to see the case method in action, there are many spots available to visit a HBS class this spring. Also, there will be limited availability for visiting a class before the Round 1 application deadline next fall, so this is a great time to visit. Register for a class visit through our online scheduling system. We will also be hosting several other events on campus in the next few months.

You can always meet us online, too. We will be hosting Admissions QA webinars to answer your questions before the Round 3 deadline. To learn more, please see the Admissions Events page of our website.

Here's a reminder: The Round 3 deadline is April 6. We'll do our usual posts right after the deadline about timing of interview invitations. As always, hope this helps.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 19:44
GTTFA wrote:
Thanks for the tips! I got an airbnb near campus and plan on using Uber to get around. Any tips for the weather? Maybe this sounds silly, but I'm trying to figure out what to wear for the campus tour given all the snow and I'll be in interview attire :?

The weather has been less than ideal lately, but you'll be fine with uber. Regarding dress, I'd suggest wearing a pair of boots and carrying your dress shoes. When you arrive to checkin for the day's events, there's a coat area where you can store your belongings for the day. That room will be your primary location in between all events throughout the day. You can quickly grab your coat and boots for the campus tour, and then swap out for everything else (which is indoors). All of the HBS main buildings are connected by underground tunnels, so you can avoid having to go back out again later.

Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 15:10
Quick announcement for R1 folks:

TripWeave pre-registration (deposit reduced by $100) ends on February 28. Please reach out to us with any questions. Good luck to all R2 interviewees!

P.S. we were just featured in Poets and Quants!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.56
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2015, 13:54
Just uploaded my post-interview reflection...so I guess now it's time to settle in for the long wait.

I was on-campus yesterday for their "Interview Day Activities." I guess this really only applies to R3 candidates at this point, but I highly recommend interviewing on campus if you have the chance....attending these events really made me realize how amazing HBS is. My experience there blew the other campus visits/interviews I've had at other schools out of the water.

So....who's made a count-down timer until 12pm EST on March 25th???
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.78
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2015, 16:43
I recently took myself out of consideration. I felt like my decision was already made, and I wanted to potentially save someone from the WL. Best of luck everyone!!!!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.96
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2015, 17:06
manbear677 wrote:
Just uploaded my post-interview reflection...so I guess now it's time to settle in for the long wait.

I was on-campus yesterday for their "Interview Day Activities." I guess this really only applies to R3 candidates at this point, but I highly recommend interviewing on campus if you have the chance....attending these events really made me realize how amazing HBS is. My experience there blew the other campus visits/interviews I've had at other schools out of the water.

So....who's made a count-down timer until 12pm EST on March 25th???

I would have a slight caveat to this. As someone who likes to "manage" their expectations, visiting campus may not be the best idea, lol. In my case, it made me fall in love with it so now I'd be super disappointed if I don't get in!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2015, 17:06

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  51   52   53   54   55   56   57  ...  63    Next  [ 1246 posts ] 

Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sroy4