GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 07:03

R1 Decisions:

Michigan Ross Chat (US calls are expected today)  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  (Calls expected to start at 7am PST; Applicants from Asia will hear first)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 10:59
downeaster wrote:
CommonMBApplicant wrote:
So this year they probably gave an early sign to those whom they wanted to ding by waiving their interviews. With a week left, I can only see a miracle getting anyone in the waived list accepted.

It's looks like this indeed was the case this year. It's obviously up to Kellogg and the admissions team how they want to tackle applications, but doing it this way does make the promise that the "waiver will in no way negatively impact your candidacy" seem pretty hollow and misleading.

Still at 11/18.

I don't know if just because people that still haven't received an interview after the waiver necessarily have the waiver to blame. I'm sure they took some people, maybe just not people on this forum. In the nicest way, it's probably more that even if you did interview your profile wasn't compelling enough on it's own to be accepted. And not that because they didn't interview you, you didn't get accepted. If they liked your materials they would have found a way to get in touch with you and interview with you.

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Ellie R.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 11:15
For waived applicants;

I spoke to a Kellogg Admissions Officer at an info session, and asked what would happen if I chose an on-campus interview and slots were filled. She responded that a waiver would be produced, and that they would conduct a Skype call if they wanted additional information.

Keep in mind that the video essay is in full force this year. Perhaps they are making decisions based off of it for those not interviewed. I highly doubt that an applicant who would have had a chance of acceptance with an interview, however minute may it have been, would be brushed aside because her application was submitted later than someone else, or because an alumni was not in the same geographical region.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 11:23
I am pretty sure waivers are not linked to a ding. Most interviews happened quite early, so there is little chance that they would have shortlisted candidates by then. Also, if they had, why keep people waiting? And, why are waived applicants' also reporting date changes?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.25
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 12:22
JohnThunder wrote:
I hate to continue the speculation, but hey, gotta pass the time somehow, right? :-D
I agree with this for the most part, it clearly has something to do with groups instead of individuals - based on what I've gathered here:

a) Once the date changes to December for the first time, it updates every day after that, so for me it's changed 12/7 through 12/11.
b) After the initial date change, it updates every morning. If it was based on individuals, the date should change at various times through the day

Quote:
So just to stir the pot, has anyone had a December date change that has not updated through 12/11 at this point?

If that happened, I will be shocked. My theory will be disproven!!! Anyone with a date change since 12/7 should have one every morning. You have been pooled!

I'm kind of skimming through some of these theories, but to add another data point- mine changed to 12/8 and then to 12/11...no change on 12/9 or 12/10.

I didn't really keep track during November- so I dont know when it changed prior to 12/8.

RelishMBA.com

Director
Director
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 12:47
I solved it. If your date change by greater that 7 days squared minus 2, then you will be admitted. If the date change was longer than a month, you have been dinged and no change means waitlist.

#stopthemadness
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 12:50
angelfire213 wrote:
I solved it. If your date change by greater that 7 days squared minus 2, then you will be admitted. If the date change was longer than a month, you have been dinged and no change means waitlist.

#stopthemadness

I think you have made this formula to make yourself feel better 8-)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 13:06
More Data:

Interviewed late-October. I believe video essay has shown 11/04, 12/05, 12/06, 12/08, 12/09, 12/10, 12/11

The change to 12/11 occurred this morning at some point between 8am-10am CT
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 13:12
angelfire213 wrote:
#stopthemadness

Kellogg applicants prior to app submission: Rational, intelligent, & patient. Brimming with leadership potential.

Kellogg applicants after app submission: Jumpy, wildly speculative nervous wrecks. Part time conspiracy theorists.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 13:24
Are you guys serious with this?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V47
GPA: 3.52
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 13:32
NovaNATION wrote:
Are you guys serious with this?

The problem is that with no cutoff for interview invites and no rolling admissions, we have no data to use in evaluating our chances. Thus we must revert to inventing data and speculating :)
Manager
Manager
Being suspicious of synergy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 14:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Being suspicious of synergy
First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

If you ask for five words that form part of traditional business jargon that people hate, the word “synergy” would likely be right up there. Given its horrible reputation, I was curious to learn more. We discussed the idea at length at our intro strategy class. Here are a few notes:

1. The economic view on synergy is: (how big are the gains) x (how achievable are they) – (costs involved). So, in essence, synergy is just a calculation that multiplies potential gains by the probability of achieving them and subtracts the costs involved.

2. The core idea is that two organizations can combine to create more value as a group than they did individually. Value can be created by either increasing benefit to customers or reducing cost. But this is where things get a bit nuanced and tricky.

3. Combining two organizations just because they have something in common does absolutely nothing. Good strategy is when the acquisition enables the acquirer to fundamentally change something about how they do what they do. This works well when they have strengths that complement each other. A great example of this is Disney acquiring Pixar. Pixar gave Disney strength in computer generated cartoons and a creative engine that churned out a great movie every two years. Disney, on the other hand, could use all of Pixar’s characters in its theme parks and merchandise. In order to avoid too many organizational costs like a clash of cultures, Disney allowed Pixar to operate separately, and this acquisition has worked incredibly well for them.

4. It does gets tricky at this point, however, because acquisitions we read about in the press largely talk about potential gains and completely neglect the potential costs. That’s the part of the synergy equation that is normally forgotten or omitted. Researchers have dug into this question over many years: Why are acquisitions regularly over valued when they fail so often? There have been many explanations with CEO hubris and poor decision making processes being suggested as possible explanations. But, the fact remains that the costs of a potential acquisition are generally glossed over. And every time you see an acquisition announced, it is definitely worth looking for whether the acquirer discusses potential costs and challenges. It is quite amazing how regularly this isn’t discussed given the base rate of failure.

5. Warren Buffet once said, “Synergy is a term widely used in business to explain an acquisition that otherwise makes no sense.” And he’s absolutely right. Synergy has been used to describe business decisions that can best be described as illogical or fuzzy. The take-home message is definitely continue to be wary when you hear “synergy” because very few actually understand it and use it consistently with its economic definition.

6. Finally, a quick personal application. Every gain we foresee comes at a cost. It is regularly tempting to only think about and discuss the gain. When we do that, it pays to remember that we’re guilty of the exact mistake that costs many companies billions of dollars and many smart executives their job. Make sure we look at both sides of the decisions made. As economists like to say, there is no “free” lunch.

So, yes, we are back full circle to where we started in terms of our suspicion of the word. But hopefully, the journey has been useful.

Rohan Rajiv is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Career, Student Life Tagged: 2Y, MBA Learnings, strategy, Two-Year MBA Program Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 14:01
I'm just trying to pass time and speculate. The conversations have been interesting.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.25
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 14:43
Date just changed from 11/25 to 12/11. Assuming that was a finalization of my status!

Not going to lie, after following all of this speculation my heart did a couple of back flips when I saw it changed even though it's meaningless... lol
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 14:50
CharlieHorse wrote:
Date just changed from 11/25 to 12/11. Assuming that was a finalization of my status!

Not going to lie, after following all of this speculation my heart did a couple of back flips when I saw it changed even though it's meaningless... lol

My date has changed for a 3rd time this week. Now it says 12/11/. Goes up once each day.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 14:51
banker1985 wrote:
CharlieHorse wrote:

My date has changed for a 3rd time this week. Now it says 12/11/. Goes up once each day.

No change since 11/11. Even though its all speculation but I would still like to see a date change for the fun of it :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 14:53
mbathisyear wrote:
banker1985 wrote:
CharlieHorse wrote:

No change since 11/11. Even though its all speculation but I would still like to see a date change for the fun of it :)

hahaha. I wonder what the mystery really is.

Do you what day next week should we expect to hear from the school?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 14:54
mbathisyear wrote:
banker1985 wrote:
CharlieHorse wrote:

Same here! no change since 10/28 and now an update to 12/11. I don't know if we'll be able to figure out what the date changes mean even after results come out. More fodder for round 2 applicants to mull over.
Retired Moderator
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 14:56
Decisions come out on Wednesday. They call those that have been accepted.

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Ellie R.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 15:06
bml1105 wrote:
Decisions come out on Wednesday. They call those that have been accepted.

Do you think we'll be able to see the decision online first thing in the morning that day??
I'd suppose right? If the date changes are actually status updates we can't see just yet...

Don't know if I'd be willing to just wait all day to see if the call comes or not... :?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 15:07
Here is another theory :)

This theory would mean those with the dates changes recently are accepted. As they are adding people to the pool, they must be looking at the averages. i.e what is the GMAT average, what is the % by industry, what is the % female etc. As they add people, the averages need to refresh, this would explain all the date changes because it's pulling info from the system on each application.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 11 Dec 2014, 15:07

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  42   43   44   45   46  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap