Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
WE:Consulting (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GPA: 2.34
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Aleksey85 wrote:
Guys, I got accepted for 1Y program, but would like to switch to 2Y now. What do you think, is it possible to do without re-submitting the application?

Dont think so as admission criteria for adcoms must be different. You can definitely try but the goals in your essays would have changed as well (for 1Y vs 2Y). Even if you do go ahead with a new application, yours will only be considered for R3. Do keep that in mind.

Congrats on 1Y admit though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
WE:Consulting (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
cathoward wrote:
Spontaneous work trip to Mexico today, where phone doesn't work. However, just received email saying "Welcome to Kellogg" so I guess I got in! Can you check any scholarship offers online? Or was that only told over phone?

Just found it online - 100K scholarship offer, oh my god!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
simonzhu90 wrote:
bulldog16 wrote:
So excited! In at Kellogg. Got the call this morning around 10am central.

Congrats and/or good luck everyone!

Also got the call this morning (from Canada). No mention of fellowship though - anyone know if that means none?

Good luck guys!

Yes, if you were not told of a fellowship on the call, then unfortunately there will be none at the moment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
ding ding d-ding! had high hopes. .. probably because they called for interview :D which they anyways do to 2/3rd of the applicants :-D

edited post... had posted earlier line on the wrong group :(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Kudos
Awesome guys. Many many congratulations on making it to one of the world's best. You should be proud of yourself and at the same time thankful to your family and friends who supported you all through this time. Very few (<1%) make it to such schools. I wish you all a fulfilling year ahead. Stay blessed :)

PS: For those who just missed it by a mark, take a moment and thank God. You for sure cannot figure it now but there is a reason to whatever happened.

Yours truly
Steinbeck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
AdmiralFatAllen wrote:
That makes 5 waitlists and 3 dings.

WUT

AdmiralFatAllen: And you just need one :) and you are on the other side of the table.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
It might be dangerous to post this on the Kellogg thread, but it looks like the majority of people who applied to Kellogg and Booth had more luck at Booth than Kellogg.

Is it possible for a GMAT Club admin to pull those stats for 2018 applicants through R1 and R2? The schools get compared to one another so often, I'd be curious to see the metrics, etc.

Pretty please?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: A DIY guide to career growth

From Kellogg Insight

Given today’s corporate environment of flat organizations with tight budgets, the first thing cut—even before brand advertising—is career development. To add insult to injury, bosses are too worried about their own hides to worry about yours.

With that in mind, you should adopt a do-it-yourself attitude. Based on his experience, Professor Carter Cast developed DIY action steps to help you take charge of your career. Scroll through the illustrated slideshow above or read them below.

Develop goals and performance objectives.
You can’t get to where you’re going if your destination is unclear. It’s your job to plot your goals and lay out your success metrics.

Solve for blind spots.
Get feedback from everyone around you whenever you get the chance: your boss, your peers, and your subordinates. After key presentations and meetings, ask, “How did that go? What could have been done better?”

Read the rest of Prof. Cast’s action steps at Kellogg Insight

Filed under: Academics, Career Tagged: career development, career growth, Growth, Kellogg Insight
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
caw wrote:
It might be dangerous to post this on the Kellogg thread, but it looks like the majority of people who applied to Kellogg and Booth had more luck at Booth than Kellogg.

Is it possible for a GMAT Club admin to pull those stats for 2018 applicants through R1 and R2? The schools get compared to one another so often, I'd be curious to see the metrics, etc.

Pretty please?

It might be because Booth has higher admit rate than Kellogg. According to US News, Booth admit rate was 24.4% and Kellogg admit rate was 20.6%.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
INNNNNNNNNNN

Congrats everyone! :)
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: A few thoughts on culture | MBA Learnings

Second-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

As part of my annual review process at the end of every year, I ask myself — “Who/what were my biggest sources of inspiration this year?”

It is a useful question as I think about all those people who’ve had a repeated positive impact on me. Inevitably, Seth Godin takes the top spot. I have been reading Seth’s blog for five years or more now, sharing his posts and thoughts here, and most importantly, revisiting his posts from time to time. Often, when I think of the topics he tends to write about, I realize that my definition of a particular idea came from one of his posts.

One such seminal post and idea is “change the culture, change the world.” This post boils culture down to one line – “This is what people like me do.” The first time I read this, I asked myself and all my friends (I think they got tired of hearing about this post within a week) — “What is it that people like us do?” And we ended up attempting to coordinate a “Mastermind Group” across three continents to discuss various topics that mattered most to us. We decided our culture was one around having conversations that matter.

The project didn’t work because of timezone issues, but it is one that demonstrated to us how much we cared about having conversations that matter. I have continued to implement that idea ever since — at graduate school, I have time set aside every week for a conversation that matters with a group of friends.

I realize now that my answer to the question about my biggest source of inspiration was actually incomplete.

There is one other person who has influenced me in a way similar to Seth – Clayton Christensen. While he doesn’t have a daily blog that I know of, his book “How Will You Measure Your Life?” got me started on a path that has gone on to help me define how I live. I listened to Clay’s TEDx talk and read his excellent HBR article (which, unfortunately has been put behind a paywall) and I was again left thinking about culture.

Clay’s insight was:

“Ultimately, people don’t even think about whether their way of doing things yields success. They embrace priorities and follow procedures by instinct and assumption rather than by explicit decision—which means that they’ve created a culture.”

Or, “this is what people like me do.”

I’ve written before about how you build culture in a team. Building culture and sharing the culture are two different things, though. While you might imagine any great culture would be automatically shared, it doesn’t work that way. As I have repeatedly learned, “build it and they will come” is fundamentally flawed. Our culture is built around “best selling,” or in the case of the Internet, “best sharing?”

I think the way culture is shared is by sharing stories. It is like the famous collection of Macy’s stories that talk about Macy’s employees who go to incredible lengths to please a customer. It is the Zappos person who was on the phone with a customer for many hours. Stories are powerful.

As I reflect on their power, I see the effect they have had on my life. In two days, I’ll be leading and participating in an initiative called “The Good Life Sessions” in my final quarter in graduate school. The Good Life Sessions is a three-part series of workshops that gets to the questions — “How will you measure your life?” through a series of other questions that help break that large question down. As you might imagine, there is a lot of Clay Christensen in the Good Life Sessions.

I also start these sessions, and pretty much any initiative I lead, by saying — “This might not work.” While I say this to myself every time before I take a leap, I say it in public generally to shocked reactions — “What do you mean? It should work. Do you lack confidence?” Those close to me understand it. Those who are getting to know me give me feedback about it and tell me I must stop saying it. And folks listening either love it or hate it.

This is one of those things where I choose to ignore all that is said and say — “This is the cost of me doing things. This is how I approach things and this is part of me being me.” “This might not work” is a Seth idea that embraces the fact that anything worth doing begins with an acceptance that it might not work.

As this example illustrates, Clay and Seth have shared their cultures with me and their cultures are an important part of my culture and how I operate. And they’ve shared this without us ever meeting in person. Clay doesn’t even know I exist.

That is how I’ve come to learn that cultural change is incredibly powerful. It is a big part of what I have spent my time learning about and pushing for during my time in graduate school over the past year and a half — to encourage more reflection, more conversation and more understanding. And as you might imagine, a big part of this is just attempting to be all of this myself — because that’s what Clay and Seth have taught me. You have to be the change you wish to see.

And most importantly, no one is going to pick you to make cultural change. You have to pick yourself.

Rohan Rajiv is a second-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program and a Siebel Scholar. Prior to Kellogg he worked as a consultant serving clients across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He interned at LinkedIn in Business Operations and will be heading back to LinkedIn full-time after he graduates in June 2016. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: culture, Good Life, MBA Learnings
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Trust in Leadership: 3 lessons to empower your team

Giving leaders a blank check to pursue big goals is a powerful display of trust. It shows that you believe they will do the right thing, take ownership, and be accountable for the results. Such intelligent risk taking can lead to a remarkable return on investment.

For example, sales of Oreos outside the U.S. increased from $200 million to more than a billion dollars in six years as a result of a blank check. But not all experiments will succeed. In fact, failure is often part of the process that ultimately leads to success.

Watch Sanjay Khosla, Senior Fellow for Kellogg’s Markets and Customers Initiative, discuss blank checks in this video.

The Trust Project at Northwestern University aims to create a unique body of knowledge about Trust by connecting scholars and executives from diverse backgrounds to share ideas and research.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight Tagged: leadership, leadership lessons, teamwork, trust, Trust Project
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
To all the military/veteran friends, you are cordially invited to Kellogg's Military Preview Day, hosted by the Kellogg Veterans Association, on April 29th! It's going to be a great event where current military/vets can see what life is like at a top business school and have all their questions answered. Check out the link below for more info.
https://kellogg.campusgroups.com/veteran ... 2=veterans
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: How Kellogg collaborates to support women

As an institution that is committed to diversity, Kellogg has a number of student groups that are committed to keeping its strong culture of inclusion alive.

One such group is the Kellogg Women’s Business Association (WBA).

The WBA offers a variety of outreach efforts in order to encourage more women to pursue and earn an MBA degree. By facilitating an open line of communication between current and prospective students, the WBA played a key role in Kellogg’s record-breaking female enrollment for the class of 2017.

MBASchooled recently spotlighted Amanda McCarthy, Kellogg WBA vice president of marketing. Amanda shared how the WBA supports the professional and personal aspirations of Kellogg women and how the WBA enhanced her own MBA experience.

From MBASchooled:

While I was applying to business school, I was aware of the ratios of males to females at the different schools. While I wouldn’t say it was a deciding factor, it was certainly a consideration. Of greater importance to me was learning about what schools are doing to address tough issues like gender equality, and to prepare females for some of the unique business challenges that they might face in the workplace. I knew this was a priority for Kellogg based on the depth of programming organized by the Women’s Business Association and the support from the Dean’s office.

I think there are a number of factors that together are driving the increased number of women applying to and attending top business schools. Firstly, there is specific outreach happening on the part of business schools and organizations such as Forte Foundation to get in front of women early in their careers and give them exposure to business school. These initiatives help to put business school on the radar. Secondly, I think there is a great power in example. The more women attend business school (43% at Kellogg this past year), and achieve great success in post MBA roles, the more other women look to that example and think – people “like me” are doing this, so I can too.

These two years at Kellogg have provided me with a unique opportunity to build a large network of women colleagues. For many of us (depending on our career choices), Kellogg may be one of the last times that this many women will be in such a structured, professional context.  Whether it’s through clubs like the WBA, career interest groups, or social groups, we are building an important network that will serve us at many of the future junctures that can be unique to women.

Read the full MBASchooled article

About the Kellogg WBA

The Kellogg Women’s Business Association challenges, engages and empowers its members throughout their MBA journeys. Supporting Kellogg women in their personal and professional aspirations, the WBA continues to build a strong community of influential business leaders.

Filed under: Career, Student Life Tagged: WBA, Women's Business Association
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I got straight up dinged last week but Kellogg admissions reached out to set up a phone call with Dean of Admissions Kate Smith on Monday. She was basically apologetic and said that this year's applicant pool was the most competitive ever. Definitely appreciated the call but it's a little depressing knowing I was somewhat close. Did this happen to anyone else?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
captainpockets wrote:
I got straight up dinged last week but Kellogg admissions reached out to set up a phone call with Dean of Admissions Kate Smith on Monday. She was basically apologetic and said that this year's applicant pool was the most competitive ever. Definitely appreciated the call but it's a little depressing knowing I was somewhat close. Did this happen to anyone else?

Never heard of such thing before. May be you still got a chance in case someone withdraws? Some admits i know have got multiple admissions from higher ranked schools and will withdraw. You may check with Kate if there is still hope.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: How to exploit your startup’s constraints

From Kellogg Insight

The enthusiasm that David Schonthal has for startups is not based solely on how much funding they might raise, the chance they may come up with a giant-killing innovation, or the potential for a massive buyout from an established firm. Instead, Schonthal, an entrepreneur focused on the health care industry and a clinical professor of entrepreneurship at the Kellogg School, is fascinated by how startups exploit their constraints.

“The interesting thing about constraints is how they can be used positively,” Schonthal says.

Let’s face it: given limited funding, a small-if-intrepid staff, and unproven—or even nonexistent—products, most startups have to be creative just to get off the ground. But being small has the advantages of high-speed product adaptability and close contact with customers. Having little funding means throwing money at whatever problems arise is not an option. So other creative solutions arise.

Read what those solutions are.

Kellogg Insight is an online publication where faculty bring their latest research and expertise to you in an accessible, engaging format. Kellogg Insight provides ambitious business leaders with the research and expertise needed to drive growth.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: entrepreneurship, Innovation, Kellogg Insight, Startup
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts