Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Economics, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q165 V153
GPA: 3.51
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Evening/Weekend MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake [#permalink]
Kudos
raceya2002 wrote:
Does anyone else have an "awaiting" next to "(OFFICIAL) EW Transcripts Receipt: all schools attended (Only required once admitted)"? Just making sure I didn't miss something.

Yes I think everyone who has applied has this. Once you are selected, you will have to send the official transcripts and then this gets checked green.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Evening/Weekend MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake [#permalink]
Kudos
raceya2002 wrote:
Also, did anyone else get an invite for the webinar on "The (new) Art of Virtual Collaboration with Professor Leigh Thompson"? I'm sure it's just a generic email but curious that it is coming out now.

Yes I think all Kellogg EWMBA interested students have got this. This mail got me thinking and that's the reason I contacted them today and asked about the results.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
NWU must be really going through tough times

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html

BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
susukivasanth wrote:

They're projecting to see an operating deficit that is less than six months of interest income on their endowment.
Current Student
Send PM
Regenerate wrote:
susukivasanth wrote:

They're projecting to see an operating deficit that is less than six months of interest income on their endowment.

I see that but why would they take salary cuts and furlough people. Is the endowment so sacred that they won't touch that?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
susukivasanth wrote:
Regenerate wrote:
susukivasanth wrote:

I see that but why would they take salary cuts and furlough people. Is the endowment so sacred that they won't touch that?

Yes. In many ways it is too sacred.

Most people will quit going out to eat before spending their retirement money.

At a corporation as big as Northwestern University, it's easy to imagine how there'd be a good sized number of people who are habitually underperformed in their role and need to be given an opportunity to work elsewhere.

To a college or university, their endowment is their retirement fund. Spending PRINCIPAL out of that fund (not merely interest or dividend income) is a huge deal and, pretty much, is too be avoided in all but the most dire of circumstances.

I do expect many small schools might close their doors for good ... and big schools will have to spend principal out of their endowments ...
Current Student
Send PM
Hmmm I don't get this analogy. What does retirement for an University mean? I assumed endowment funds are rainy day funds for such big organization to be used in times like these. Generally, for people, Retirement funds are put in place when you for sure know the future you can't work and would need funds to sustain. Why would an University ever be in this situation. It is an organization?
I might be missing something here.

Again no underperformers have been let go, furloughed meaning they are on employment but don't run the payroll. So I don't get this too.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
susukivasanth wrote:
Hmmm I don't get this analogy. What does retirement for an University mean? I assumed endowment funds are rainy day funds for such big organization to be used in times like these. Generally, for people, Retirement funds are put in place when you for sure know the future you can't work and would need funds to sustain. Why would an University ever be in this situation. It is an organization?
I might be missing something here.

Again no underperformers have been let go, furloughed meaning they are on employment but don't run the payroll. So I don't get this too.

Yeah ... maybe not the best analogy.

However, universities are as loath to spend the principal in their endowment for ordinary operations as a family would be to spend retirement savings for otherwise normal expenses.

The universities will tighten their belts and will only spend principal if a failure to spend it will jeopardize their core mission in an irreparable way.

IMO.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.72
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Submitted the application on Apr 30 for Summer starts, used 7.5-year old GMAT to apply, received the interview invitation email on May 11, and was asked to schedule interview within two weeks of application submission if possible. Those who applied late like me should receive the interview email this week.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q150 V150
GPA: 3
Send PM
I received email today to book a slot for interview. I’ve blocked a time for 20th May. Its with an alum. Fingers crossed. I guess they’ll release results on 29th for most of them.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
susukivasanth wrote:
ParttimeMBAer856 wrote:
I was told they’d release most of the decisions towards the end of the month, and some during the month of May. But they actually told you all of them will be on May 29th?

Yes they did tell me that it would be specifically on May 29th. I also asked them that initially in the Information session they had indicated that everyone would get a result by May 22nd (also decision for this summer quarter would be on a rolling basis) and that's when she said - Due to the unprecedented application volume, that they have taken this decision.

Has anyone independently verified this May 29th claim? Wondering if someone called and received the same message.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Can someone else call and verify? I was not told specifically May 29th (and I called yesterday), although she certainly did indicate that most decisions would be made toward the end of the month so it’s not exactly totally inconsistent messaging.

It also makes sense considering the extended application deadline was May 4 and some people still haven’t even interviewed. It is frustrating to wait for those of us who applied earlier though and were expecting 2 weeks given past years rolling admissions timing but this is a different situation this year so what can you do but wait :/

Anyone have insight on how competitive the evening Vs weekend applicants will be? I suspect applications were up overall but I’m guessing substantially so for the weekend program?

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
It makes sense that the deadline has been pushed to the end of the month. Before the GMAT/GRE test was waived, Kellogg stated that the Summer 2020 applicants had until May 15th to take the virtual Test and that we will be notified of a decision by May 25th.

I imagine that there are some applicants that are taking the virtual exams, which means that they have until Friday to submit their exam scores.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
ParttimeMBAer856 wrote:

Anyone have insight on how competitive the evening Vs weekend applicants will be? I suspect applications were up overall but I’m guessing substantially so for the weekend program?

According to the information events I attended pre-covid, adcoms officially say there is no difference between Weekend vs Evening and there is also no advantage for applying into a specific quarter. The difference for apps is specifically for class registration priority ,i.e., Weekend students have priority on weekend classes, but can register for evening classes if your schedule permits.

Does anyone know how big the Summer cohort usually is or if Kellogg plans to increase the class size due to the increased app volume? A student told me that their cohort was around 70 students but not sure if that's applicable to all cohorts.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
It seems like they must consider how many students can attend whichever format. For example, if you live in CA, it is very unlikely you’ll ever be able to take evening classes versus someone who lives in Indiana who also applied indicating weekend format. They can’t reasonably admit more people than there are seats for weekend classes. I’m sure though they meant there’s no difference in the program or caliber of student admitted, or their overall admissions process, but my question stems more from the influx of applications really.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Whatthe117 wrote:
ParttimeMBAer856 wrote:

According to the information events I attended pre-covid, adcoms officially say there is no difference between Weekend vs Evening and there is also no advantage for applying into a specific quarter. The difference for apps is specifically for class registration priority ,i.e., Weekend students have priority on weekend classes, but can register for evening classes if your schedule permits.

Does anyone know how big the Summer cohort usually is or if Kellogg plans to increase the class size due to the increased app volume? A student told me that their cohort was around 70 students but not sure if that's applicable to all cohorts.

I was told at Preview Day that the Cohort sizes are similar among the different quarters. To your point, there is not advantage to applying to the Evening program instead of the Weekend program and vice versa.

I doubt that they increase the Summer Cohort size, I think the competitiveness is what will be increased.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Whatthe117 wrote:
ParttimeMBAer856 wrote:

No information about cohort size, but I was wondering if they might increase admits this time around. Many people are like me, who applied early for summer but would have applied for fall if expired GMAT was not accepted or waived. If they reject all, there will be a shortage of fall applications, as for me there is no incentive in applying without some improvement on my profile. so new GMAT and all will put me in Winter 2021 the earliest. just my 0.02!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  60   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts