GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 23:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants(2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants(2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 20:27
Can anyone comment on the focus for the letters of recommendation? I was hoping to consolidate questions with respect to my recommenders , so they can be limited to 1-2 versions based on each individual school's requirements.
BSchool Thread Master
S
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants(2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 10:10
If you're looking for the questions, here they are
https://www.clearadmit.com/2017/07/nort ... questions/
tdttg11 wrote:
Can anyone comment on the focus for the letters of recommendation? I was hoping to consolidate questions with respect to my recommenders , so they can be limited to 1-2 versions based on each individual school's requirements.
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2018, 08:29
Chat is starting in couple of minutes. If you are around, join the chat room to ask your questions.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

Narenn wrote:
Thursday, July 26: Live Chat with Kellogg Alum

Hi Everyone, This Thursday we have a live chat with ENGRTOMBA2018, at 8:30am Pacific time (4:30pm British time, 9pm Indian time) in our chat room. ENGRTOMBA2018 recently graduated from Kellogg and currently works at Amazon. We hope all of you will participate in this chat. It's an excellent opportunity to ask your questions about Kellogg, its application process, and anything else that will help you make a strong case for admission this year.

Date and Time:

July 26, 2018 | Thursday | 8:30 AM PDT (4:30 PM BST; 9 PM IST)

Place:

Main Chat Room

There are admit chat sessions planned for other schools as well. Check out the complete chat calendar here.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/inviting-all ... l#p2092718

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2018, 08:56
Note on MMM program by ENGRTOMBA2018...
"If you are international student, I would highly recommend MMM program as it gives you 2 years additional thru STEM extension, giving you a total of 3 years post-MBA to work in USA. Compared to this, the 2Y MBA program only gives you 1 year. In terms of the program specifics, MMM is a great combination of design based engineering courses with MBA courses added to it. Thus, providing you a great exposure to varied fields, especially if you are looking towards product based roles post MBA."

If you have any questions about Kellogg MBA or MMM, Engr will be with us for another 15 minutes in the chat.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2018, 10:03
Transcript from the live chat with Kellogg Alum, ENGRTOMBA2018

What is the deciding factor that Kellogg looks in an applicant ?
Too broad a question. It is not 1 or 2 factor(s) that go into the process but a coherent story that provides a deeper insight into whats your personality, how will you add to Kellogg and how will you leverage everything that Kellogg has to offer. That being said, Kellogg loves to see people who have excelled, personally and professionally.

How much role does GMAT play in the admission?
GMAT is used as an initial screen as Kellogg happens to be a top 5/M7 school and there needs to be a filtering mechansim upfront. Once you clear that hurdle, it should matter until say, you are pittied against a person with similar profile and they can only admit 1. That being said, make sure to be as close to the median GMAT score of the last incoming class to clear that hurdle in the first place.

How is tech recruting organized in kellogg? is it enought time to prepare for internship interviews in winter for somebody who doesn’t have pre-mba expereince in tech ? what to do here ?
Hah! Tech recruiting is by far the most chilled out wrt recruiting cycle, so dont worry about that. I recruited for Invetsment Banking that starts 2 weeks after you start at Kellogg. Compared to that, first tech events dont take place until late October and interviews not until mid-end Jan

Are there any classes/electives or other resources in Kellogg you can use during fall semester to prepare yourself for Jan tech interviews ?
Great amount of resources. Dont worry about recruiting at Kellogg. Tech club, for example, will guide you every step of the way by providing you recruiting support, from networking guidelines to interview prep as and when recruiting interviews start.

What do you wish you took more advantage of during your time at Kellogg?
More connections and networking. Networking is very dynamic in nature and should be looked at proactively. Another thing I would say would be some of the healthcare specific experiential courses, recently introduced and hence couldnt take advantage of these great offerings

For students planning on applying to the MMM program, can you provide some insights into how well the program is enmeshed with the rest of the class? also, in terms of stats how good are the placements for the program?
If you are international student, I would highly recommend MMM program as it gives you 2 years additional thru STEM extension, giving you a total of 3 years post-MBA to work in USA. Compared to this, the 2Y MBA program only gives you 1 year. In terms of the program specifics, MMM is a great combination of design based engineering courses with MBA courses added to it. Thus, providing you a great exposure to varied fields, especially if you are looking towards product based roles post MBA.

Are the folks from MMM boxed into product or can they try their hand at the rest of the stuff?
MMM gives you that flexibility to switch into any role you want, I have a couple of friends who broke into Investment Banking even though they were MMM. Joining MMM will NOT box you into a particular stream.

How's the current situation in USA for international students, do all students get through job placements on campus ?
Even HBS or Stanford wont guarantee you a job. You need to cognizant of this fact when applying to US schools. Yes, it is relatively more difficult but a good % of folks do get on campus jobs.

What was your background prior to MBA, what you wanted to get out of from Kellogg, and what area of work you are in now?
I was an Aerospace engineer prior to Kellogg, came to Kellogg to pivot into more finance/strategy roles. Will be joining Amazon in their Ops and Strategy group as Manager.

How many years of experience do you think one should have to do an MBA?
Depends on the quality of experience. Use school specific class profiles to guide you as average stats published are usually a good guide on whether your profile would be competitive.

How did you prepare for Video Interview part?
Hah! Didnt do anything as mine was the first year it was introduced and hence, I knew it wont be taken into account. But based on my conversations, adcoms have started to put more emphasis on video interview to know how are you as a person. Not only that, some of the recruiting companies also started to perform interviews online and hence you should start getting comfortable with this platform.

Can you elaborate on what the adcoms look for in Video Interview?
They are looking to gauge your personality. What drives you, whether you can put thoughts to words, whether you would be able to talk to companies when they come on campus or whether the stories you have mentioned in your essays are your stories in reality. Just be yourself and answer those questions honestly. Practice with someone 1-2 times before your actual thing.

What did you like and dislike most about your Kellogg experience?
Good question. Liked: everyone is extremely collaborative, amazed to see that people who were recruiting for the same roles would be more than happy to spend time with you in honing your pitch or help you with technical side of interviews. Disliked: wider depth of courses within the Venture Capital space.

How does the career office help students looking to switch roles?
CMC organizes treks for all major industries (Tech, IB, Asset Management, Healthcare, Entrepreneurship etc) every year to 3 regions (midwest, North east and West coasts)

What are the characteristics you developed specific to Kellogg?
Leading and managing cross functional teams, ability to work with teams having people from different ethnicities, regions, languages, cultures etc, multi-tasking etc

How do you think the dean change will affect the school?
Great question. Make sure to keep this question for your Kellogg interviewer :cool: I dont personally think it would make any different. Yes, Dean Blount did a tremendous job over the past 8 years but it is time to move on for everyone. Interim dean is another great candidate and I am sure Kellogg would only progress further under her guidance.

Is it true that kellogg’s students represented the highest number of amazon intern class last year ? Is Kellogg on the path to become a next ’tech’ school?
Hah! Yeah, incoming class is pretty big at Amazon. But these ’waves’ are very common in top schools. A lot of people going to Amazon doesnt mean that consulting or marketing recruiting is going to suffer. Tech recruiting also looks for people who are entrepreneurial, who can drill down to the core of the problems, be nimble enough to navigate changing landscapes etc.

Does a financially weak person think about applying to school like Kellogg?
A good majority of folks take out loans, so you are not alone. Scholarships are rare and not common.

What were your favorite moments in the past 2 years in Kellogg?
A lot to actually write them down here. I led operations for organizing CIM for 600 incoming class of 2019 students and also led bollywood bash this year, attended by close to 700 students.

Thanks Narenn, souvik101990 for organising the chat. And ENGRTOMBA2018 for taking time out to answer our questions.

P.S. - I've taken editorial liberty with the above transcript.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 10:35
I would just caution that the MMM program is -- in my experience -- not one that a great majority of MBA candidates would be appropriate for. They are looking for people with specific backgrounds and specific goals that really make sense for the program.

So I would just not want international applicants to read the note below and feel like they should apply to MMM because they have an equal or better shot of getting IN versus the MBA program. I think that if their background and goals weren't the right fit for MMM, the opposite would be true and it would significantly hurt their chances as the adcom would see through what they're trying to do. Candidates have to make a very strong case for themselves as to why MMM would be a better fit than the regular MBA program.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit.

Narenn wrote:
Note on MMM program by ENGRTOMBA2018...
"If you are international student, I would highly recommend MMM program as it gives you 2 years additional thru STEM extension, giving you a total of 3 years post-MBA to work in USA. Compared to this, the 2Y MBA program only gives you 1 year. In terms of the program specifics, MMM is a great combination of design based engineering courses with MBA courses added to it. Thus, providing you a great exposure to varied fields, especially if you are looking towards product based roles post MBA."

If you have any questions about Kellogg MBA or MMM, Engr will be with us for another 15 minutes in the chat.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Erika Olson | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 18:41
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
I would just caution that the MMM program is -- in my experience -- not one that a great majority of MBA candidates would be appropriate for. They are looking for people with specific backgrounds and specific goals that really make sense for the program.

So I would just not want international applicants to read the note below and feel like they should apply to MMM because they have an equal or better shot of getting IN versus the MBA program. I think that if their background and goals weren't the right fit for MMM, the opposite would be true and it would significantly hurt their chances as the adcom would see through what they're trying to do. Candidates have to make a very strong case for themselves as to why MMM would be a better fit than the regular MBA program.

SBCErikaOlson

Thanks for the note.

In your view who would be best fit for this program?
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 11:48
They are open to people of all backgrounds - but candidates MUST prove a focus on design-thinking and customer-centric thinking. There are only about 65 students. If your past experience and future goals don't seem to have any logical fit with taking design/design-thinking classes, you would probably be hurting your odds significantly by applying to this program. Do deep research before considering it.

Best of luck!

lazybee wrote:
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

SBCErikaOlson

Thanks for the note.

In your view who would be best fit for this program?

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Erika Olson | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 08:47
Quick question on app:

My university makes use of a 1.0 scale (1 being the highest, 5 the lowest) for our GPA. My problem is that it isn't in the options. Any recommendations on what I should do? It tells me not to convert my GPA.
Official Business School Representative

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 14:46
MattBaldwin wrote:
Hi Everyone,

My name is Matt Baldwin and I am the Associate Director at the Kellogg School of Management. I’m posting here to let everyone know about an exciting new initative designed to connect prospective students with our admissions officers via social media.

For the next week, we will be fielding your questions about the Kellogg admissions process via our Instagram channel (@KelloggSchool)! Simply send us a DM with your question, and then check back in early August when we’ll be sharing videos of the admissions officers answering your questions!

Example questions could include:
    Is there on aspect of the application that is more important than another?
    Can candidates apply to more than one program at a time?
    Is there a difference between applying in Round 1 vs Round 2?

Please Note: No information about the people who ask questions will be shared with the Admissions department, we'll simply be passing along questions for the Admissions team to answer. Asking a question will have no impact an admission decision, positively or negatively. Kellogg will not view the Instagram content of anyone who asks a question, nor would we be able to if your account is set to private. We are only accepting questions via Instagram direct message at this time.

Here is a link to our Instagram: https://kell.gg/kelloggschool

Thank you,
Matt Baldwin, Associate Director of Social Media at Kellogg School of Management

Thank you to everyone who submitted a question for our Admissions team! The team had a great time answering your questions. Their answers are now available via our @KelloggSchool Instagram Story. The story will be live for 24 hours and then can be found in the "Highlights" section of our Instagram page, just below our bio.

We tried to provide answers that addressed as many questions as possible, but due to the volume of questions we received we were not able to answer every question. The good news is additional admissions information is available via our Virtual Admissions Sessions. Those can be found on our Webinars page, here: https://kell.gg/admwb

We will also be hosting an Admissions Application Live Chat on August 22, which presents another opportunity to ask questions of our Admissions officers. More information and registration will be on our Webinars page next week.

Thanks again and I wish all of you good luck with your applications!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 16:45
Great Thread!
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants(2019 Intake) Class of 2021! &nbs [#permalink] 19 Aug 2018, 16:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants(2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Gnpth

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap