Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [1]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all LBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) - Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Joe00 wrote:
Great, thanks! we are on the same boat then :)

To be honest, it's good to see another applicant here. I was getting concerned if LBS would have to select me just because there weren't enough applicant. ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
Joe00 wrote:
Great, thanks! we are on the same boat then :)

To be honest, it's good to see another applicant here. I was getting concerned if LBS would have to select me just because there weren't enough applicant. ;)

Yes I was kind of hoping the same... but I think we better prepare good applications... it seems unlikely that suddenly one of the most selective programs receives no applicants :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Joe00 wrote:
Yes I was kind of hoping the same... but I think we better prepare good applications... it seems unlikely that suddenly one of the most selective programs receives no applicants :-D

Have you read this https://www.london.edu/assets/documents/programmes/Post_Study_Work_Guidance.pdf
Was wondering if they issue such guidance regularly, or just this time because low turnout. We can't ignore the uncertainty the Scottish referendum created. I had really given up on the LBS application until last week. Thank God, the referendum failed! UK market would have taken pretty bad hit otherwise. :roll:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
Joe00 wrote:

Have you read this https://www.london.edu/assets/documents/programmes/Post_Study_Work_Guidance.pdf
Was wondering if they issue such guidance regularly, or just this time because low turnout. We can't ignore the uncertainty the Scottish referendum created. I had really given up on the LBS application until last week. Thank God, the referendum failed! UK market would have taken pretty bad hit otherwise. :roll:

thanks for the doc.... yes, that could be an explanation. nonetheless it is quite a few years that the UK/EU economy raises concerns... gut feeling, issues may apply more to non-MBA graduates at LBS.

Personally I do not require any VISA to work in the UK, thus I never took into account these considerations..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Joe00 wrote:
thanks for the doc.... yes, that could be an explanation. nonetheless it is quite a few years that the UK/EU economy raises concerns... gut feeling, issues may apply more to non-MBA graduates at LBS.

Personally I do not require any VISA to work in the UK, thus I never took into account these considerations..

EU national .. (y)
Scottish independence would affected UK market bad in short term, and entire EU market in medium term. No one's sure about long term impact. Anyways, it's a done deal. Future looks bright on this side of atlantic too. :)
Now that this thread has got a bit of activity, guess I'll try to keep it abuzz.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
LBS Research made easy:
1. Link to the clubs - https://clubs.london.edu/groups
2. Link to Innovation Library of Deloitte Institute of Innovation and Entrepreneurship - https://innovation.london.edu/search-results/index.html
3. Link to Post Study Work Guidance for non-EU nationals - https://www.london.edu/assets/documents/programmes/Post_Study_Work_Guidance.pdf
4. Link to landing page for military candidates - https://mba.london.edu/military/
5. Link to get your candidacy assessed* - https://interact.london.edu/link.asp?coursesysid=38&menu=submitcv
6. Link to get your candidacy assessed (military candidates)* - https://interact.london.edu/link.asp?coursesysid=38&menu=submitcv&advertcode=MBA/MILITARY (I believe both links lead to same page, however LBS might use the various links for their research about effective ness of certain adverts.)

I hope these links help. I'll try to keep this post updated.

* - Though it is not mentioned at the landing page you might find it useful. Once a candidate has submitted his/her CV for assessment LBS will contact him/her only if the admissions office finds itself interested in the candidate within one business week due to large number of CV submitted to them for assessment. You'll see this notice after you've successfully submitted your CV.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: Spring Break
My recap of term 2: Undertaking the MBA at London Business School

Spring Break!!!

It was a fast-paced term. It whizzed by before we even knew what was happening. From the first Corporate Partner Presentations in the second week of January down to the final core course exam on Sunday, March 23, it’s been one roller-coaster of a ride. Without the hurling, of course.

There’s a huge divide amongst the 2015 MBA student body, the haves and the have-nots. The haves, it seems, are walking with considerable swag, their heads held high, without a worry in the world. The have-nots are walking with swag (MBAs, after all!), their heads held level, with perhaps a sense of uncertainty about the future. I’m talking about… internships. Places in the highly coveted banking and consulting gigs are mostly (if not fully) taken. The 2014s, out of the abundance of experience, tell us not to worry. Their prevailing line seems to be summed up thus – ‘Everyone who wants an internship will get something. It may not be what you wanted prior to coming to do the MBA, but it’ll work out right in the end.’ Fingers crossed!

The high point of this term for me was my very first career trek to the United Arab Emirates – organised by the Energy Club. Best trek ever!! (I know, hyperbole, considering I have no prior experiences to compare with). But it was! Why? 5 reasons. Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4…

• Excellent organisation (kudos to Bassam Frem & Marius van Straaten!!)
  • Great group dynamics
  • Free accommodation!!! (beat that, other LBS treks!!)
  • We got to meet and discuss with leading companies and public sector institutions in different sectors of energy – Petrofac, GE, McKinsey & DEWA – to name a few. We learnt a lot about the current state and future of the industry in the Middle East
  • Our hosts were very accommodating. In one case, we finished a company visit with a huge lunch, and started a second company visit with… wait for it… another huge lunch!
Sign me up next year!!!

Two awesome treks taking place during the spring break – the Japan trek, and the Morocco trek. Sadly, I am in neither place.

In conclusion, I was just reminded that school resumes in 2 weeks L. On the bright side, I have 2 free weeks J !!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: The Intern
This blog feels like an attic that I haven’t been to in years!!! Excuse me for a moment while I clean the dust…

There… Much better now!

I’ve been quite busy trying to earn my keep as an MBA Intern. Between June and September, I had the privilege of working with Shell International Petroleum Company here in London. I worked with the Retail Engineering Team – the people that manage the construction and maintenance of Shell retail stations all over the world. During my first week on the job, I visited a station that previously belonged to a competitor but was being converted to Shell standards, what is called a ‘KDRB’ – Knock Down and Re-Build. Suffice to say, there is so much thought and effort that goes into the construction and maintenance of fuel stations that the average consumer neither knows nor sees. All we do is get in, buy fuel, perhaps go into the shop, use the restroom, and then get out. But setting up a retail station to ensure that customers get safety, speed and ease of use – well, let’s just say I appreciate that team a whole lot more!

Working with Shell was a marvellous experience. My first paradigm-altering experience was with the lifts at Shell Towers. You know the story about the janitor/cleaner that tells the engineer (or was it architect) that he could put the lift outside the building instead of inside it? At Shell Towers, the floor buttons are outside the lifts. That first week, I had to consciously resist the temptation to stretch out my fingers to input my destination after getting into the lift, even though I already had done that before entering the lift.

More importantly, I enjoyed the collaborative and consensus-driven culture that operates at Shell. In my mind, the culture is a clear expression of the principle that no single person knows everything. While working at Shell, I had numerous interactions with lots of people within and outside my team – and they were only too willing to help. People thought nothing of spending significant time with me to help me understand not only the project I worked on, but also, the ways of working at Shell. In addition, decision-making processes are structured in such a way as to get the opinions and buy-in of a number of stakeholders, to ensure that there is broad support for initiatives executed. Obviously, getting consensus can slow down the decision-making process, but I guess that’s the trade off you get – speed versus support. That’s one of the core lessons from Strategy & Operations Management – picking a strategy and executing it; it’s about making a choice, prioritising a set of values or system over another. You can’t have everything.

The other thing I liked about working with Shell was work-life balance. Days I would get in by 8.00 a.m, and my floor would be empty. Days when I left by 7.00 p.m, I was the last to leave. In addition, it is possible to work from home (obviously pre-arranged with your manager, and if your physical presence is not required at the office). I did visit the gym in the building on some days, but seeing as I’m still packing pounds on my body, I guess I didn’t spend enough time there!

It wasn’t easy leaving. I felt a good kind of tired on the last day of my internship – like I had put in my all, and my effort was appreciated. I worked with amazingly great people (time to name-drop) – Bernard, Pedro, Graham, Gena – thanks for the wonderful experience!

So what’s next? Year 2 of the MBA begins! But that story is definitely for another time – hopefully not as much dust would have accumulated by then.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
I seem to have encountered a problem. The email to my referees is not getting delivered to them. I tried resending the emails and they tried searching in the spam/junk folder. To no avail of course...
I have contacted MBA Admission Office, but they are yet to reply to my mail (Sunday, duh!). Anyone else encountered similar problem?

Thats is weird. My emails have gone through without a problem. Hope they can fix the problem for you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ctre wrote:
Thats is weird. My emails have gone through without a problem. Hope they can fix the problem for you!

One of the emails went out smooth. The receiver has in fact completed the form and submitted it already. Guess, I'll just have to cancel this person and send it to the back up referee. Don't wanna miss R1. :|
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: A view from the top
Meet Imran Changezi, EMBA 2009. Hotel Manager at Jumeirah Emirates Towers. Read his fascinating story, in which he explains how hard work and determination allowed him to transform his career from front desk clerk to becoming a leading member of one of the world’s most luxurious hotel brands. “Believe me, I tried applying almost everything […]

Read the rest of this entry...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
WE:Marketing (Transportation)
Send PM
I was told that some of the UK schools saw a decrease in applicants from the US because of the new UK work policies, however, I have never actually heard this confirmed from the admissions team.

Also, a number of the MB's seem slow. INSEAD, Cambridge, and LBS have very few posts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Joe00 wrote:
Hello,

just wanted to check what people here think about words limit for LBS essays.... while for other schools I understand that an extra 10% is considered acceptable, LBS clearly states 'Please do not write more than the specified word limit for each essay. Any extra words or essays may be disregarded'.. which make me think that not even 1 extra word is ok! :)

what is your take/approach?

thanks

Hi Joe,

With my LBS application last year, I was very cautious. They seemed strict about the word limit and I followed it - a few extra words may not add much value but there's a risk of the AdCom interpreting it as "this person cannot follow instructions". I did some solid editing and finally managed to fit it into the word limit.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out again.
Abhishek.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhisheksahay wrote:
Hi Joe,

With my LBS application last year, I was very cautious. They seemed strict about the word limit and I followed it - a few extra words may not add much value but there's a risk of the AdCom interpreting it as "this person cannot follow instructions". I did some solid editing and finally managed to fit it into the word limit.

Abhishek.

abhisheksahay - you withdrew your apps from LBS & Booth for INSEAD! Man, you've done some serious homework .. Congrats, on your success ..
:woohoo
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
abhisheksahay wrote:
Hi Joe,

Abhishek.

abhisheksahay - you withdrew your apps from LBS & Booth for INSEAD! Man, you've done some serious homework .. Congrats, on your success ..
:woohoo

Hahaha... Thanks neo656. Yes, "did some serious homework" is an understatement. But I'm comfortable with the decision - confident that INSEAD is a better fit.
Feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss further.

Cheers,
Abhishek.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys

Quick question - how much are you typically writing for the in-application questions (eg. what are your interests outside of work etc)?

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
MBA8717 wrote:
Hi guys

Quick question - how much are you typically writing for the in-application questions (eg. what are your interests outside of work etc)?

Thanks in advance

I can share my experience from last year:
1. For the "Additional information - Interests and activities", I'd listed down 4-5 short bullet points, totaling ~75 words
2. For the "Job responsibilities", I had a longer description - around 180 words.

I should add a disclaimer here that I'm speaking about the last year's application; not sure if there are any changes in the wording of the question etc. for this year.

Abhishek.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  52   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts