It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 03:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 12:20
malosis wrote:
I think its impossible to read into the admissions process. I was dinged from Harvard and Wharton without interview, like will be dinged from Stanford as well. Some reason Sloan interviews me but dings people invited to the other school for interview?

I think we all just need to close our eyes and fast forward to December

Each school looks for different things... so I guess they are all different in some ways...
I saw you already interviewed with Sloan, how did it go?

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 17

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 11

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 14:16
This post received
KUDOS
stevkang8 wrote:
Invites are not over yet (although pretty close), but yeah in the dinged message I got, they said they only will admit 350 people this year. And in the past I think they accepted just over 400 on average each year? A 12.5% decrease, quite substantial.

From the Sloan Website:

"We have approximately 350 MBA students and 50 LGO students per class year". - See more at: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/ ... jph9Z.dpuf

So I don't think they decreased the class size, they are just quoting the non-LGO number.

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 11

5 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [5], given: 3

Concentration: International Business, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 17:22
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview with Sloan yesterday. it was great experience!

here's my advice for anyone who has an interview coming up and might be worried about it: act natural and be yourself!

really. that's it.

If you were invited to interview that means the AdCom already likes you and your story. In terms of interview prep, you should already have figured out who you are, what kind of impact you've had in your professional experience, and why MIT is the place for you. Sincerity is key. It is very hard to give "canned answers" to the types of questions you'll encounter because the format is so conversational and because the questions probe deep for specific examples. If you have a sincere story and your experience is actually everything that you said it was on the application, then you should have no problem talking in detail about some of the projects you worked on, the conflicts you encountered, the relationships you built, or any other accomplishments that were mentioned on the application.

good luck everybody.

Kudos [?]: 16 [5], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 17

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 17:45
This post received
KUDOS
gadela wrote:
I had my interview with Sloan yesterday. it was great experience!

here's my advice for anyone who has an interview coming up and might be worried about it: act natural and be yourself!

really. that's it.

If you were invited to interview that means the AdCom already likes you and your story. In terms of interview prep, you should already have figured out who you are, what kind of impact you've had in your professional experience, and why MIT is the place for you. Sincerity is key. It is very hard to give "canned answers" to the types of questions you'll encounter because the format is so conversational and because the questions probe deep for specific examples. If you have a sincere story and your experience is actually everything that you said it was on the application, then you should have no problem talking in detail about some of the projects you worked on, the conflicts you encountered, the relationships you built, or any other accomplishments that were mentioned on the application.

good luck everybody.

I feel they are all nice and friendly...it makes it hard to tell how the interview actually went :roll:

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 17

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 14

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 07:48
Any new invites? Last year 30%+ of the applicants from R1 were invited....now we got 21%, hopefully a few more invites will go to those who are still waiting.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Schools: CBS '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Other)

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 05:28
So what did everyone do/how did they find the pre interview essay?

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 09:13
Very quite these days. Anyone could share the interview experiences? Thanks

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 09:52
I'm in the process of finalizing my follow-up essay. Personally, I find the mission statement to be quite a mouthful...hitting every attribute (principled, innovative, advancing management, improving the world,...) can be quite difficult with 250 words while maintaining a narrative.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 11:02
Wow still a lot of people here who have not received any form of answers yet. Maybe MIT will send out notifications soon....well at least it should.

How are interviews going?

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 95 [1], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2015, 05:55
This post received
KUDOS
Got an e-mail.....from asia school of business or some crap like that saying I should apply and become their inaugural mba student in indonesia LOL very offended

Kudos [?]: 95 [1], given: 14

Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2015, 14:05
Anyone had their interview in France?

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 537

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [2], given: 11

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2015, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
MIT interview was very conversational and super friendly. It was almost entirely behavioral questions about my past and then why MIT/why an MBA at the very end. The interviewer also very briefly asked about my career goals which I wasn't expecting, but easy enough to answer

Kudos [?]: 25 [2], given: 11

3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [3], given: 6

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2015, 18:44
This post received
KUDOS
About the interview submission: I wrote about a post-application event and used a condensed STAR approach. I tried to illustrate how a few ideas I believed at led me to take specific actions on that project and those led to certain changes at my firm.

The interview was very interesting - really - a conversation I was happy to have. Updates on application, questions on how I achieved certain results, how someone reacted with disbelief to one of my findings and what I did, and surprisingly, questions on goals and why MBA / Sloan. It felt very fast, but very in-depth. As others said, the interviewer was very nice, so it is hard to be sure of an outcome.

Kudos [?]: 18 [3], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

MIT Sloan Students and Alumni Making a Difference [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 18:00
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: MIT Sloan Students and Alumni Making a Difference
The MIT Sloan team at NBMBAA

One of my favorite things to do is talk about the successes of our students and alumni. RecentlyBlendoor, a startup co-founded by Stephanie Lampkin, MBA’13, won Tech.Co’s 2015 Startup of the Year, among many other accolades. Blendoor seeks to increase diversity by helping tech companies connect with qualified job candidates. We’re proud to see our alumni putting the MIT Sloan mission into practice by improving the world. You can learn more about our network of more than 23,500 MIT Sloan alumni here.

Also recently, the MIT Sloan team placed third at the National Black MBA Association Conference Case Competition. The team was comprised of members of the Black Business Students Association, one of our many cultural student clubs. Milton Jones, MBA’16 (left, in the picture above) wrote in a recent blog post, “I’ve had the pleasure to connect with a diverse group of knowledgeable, passionate and humble young business leaders who care about making an impact in the world.” We are so proud of what our students accomplish!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 01:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all! I had an interview a week ago. Be prepared that your interviewer may know nothing about your professional experience and profile. That was my problem, as I started answering first question "What's new since your application" giving a lot of details about my last project. Later, i understood that interviewer didn't know anything about this particular project, although i wrote about it in my essays. In general, my interview was very and very conversational with only 1 or 2 behavioural questions, and questions on goals/Why MIT.

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 07:36
sshk wrote:
Hi all! I had an interview a week ago. Be prepared that your interviewer may know nothing about your professional experience and profile. That was my problem, as I started answering first question "What's new since your application" giving a lot of details about my last project. Later, i understood that interviewer didn't know anything about this particular project, although i wrote about it in my essays. In general, my interview was very and very conversational with only 1 or 2 behavioural questions, and questions on goals/Why MIT.

very interesting, as i thought MIT interviews were never blind and that the interviewer will have read your application. this is what i have heard from current students.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 07:56
sshk wrote:

Could you give us a little more detail on where your interview was? Your recap is extremely atypical. My interviewer was very well versed on my experience this week and had my app/resume open.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 07:59
brunojackson wrote:
sshk wrote:

very interesting, as i thought MIT interviews were never blind and that the interviewer will have read your application. this is what i have heard from current students.

Per their FAQs, "all of the interviews are conducted only by members of the Admissions committee who have read your applications." I guess the extent to which the interviewer familiarizes him/herself with your application can vary. My on-campus interviewer seemed to know my resume quite well, which helped our conversation quickly move past surface-level details.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 08:58
sshk wrote:

Interesting, mine was the complete opposite. I was actually very surprised how in depth we went. I got some typical behavioral questions (tell me about a time when you improved a team, grow a person, etc), but the follow up questions I had to stop and think quite a bit (how did that make the team feel? Walk me through the conversation. Was it something you would do again? etc). My background is a bit different in that I have a large amount of hands on management experience.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 11:58
Only 22% of applicants got invited so far, maybe there is still some number of spots for those who have not got dinged :)

I found it quite bullshit that they do not even e-mail you to notify you of the news and yet just hope that you will find it on their portal yourself. I guess you can do whatever you want when you are MIT lol

Re: Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2015, 11:58

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40  ...  63    Next  [ 1258 posts ]