GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 19:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all UWA-Foster Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.61
WE: Asset Management (Insurance)
Re: Calling all UWA-Foster Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 22:46
spiceguy wrote:
Submitted App for R1.. Good luck everyone.. :)

Good luck!!
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all UWA-Foster Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 02:27
Anyone knows the exact time when the application is due? Couldn't find it anywhere on Foster's website.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 06:12
Hi Guys,

I am posting here summary of the chat we had recently with Megan Lewis - Associate Director of Admissions at UW Foster - and Nelson Tang - Current Foster MBA Student. Those who want to view full chat transcript can download it from this post. Next chat session with Foster admission team is on November 03. Good luck!

Nelson, Can you tell us about your background, post MBA goals, and why you chose Foster?

Foster_Nelson: Sure! I come from a mechanical engineering background. Prior to the MBA I was an officer in the US Air Force for 8 years where I got to work on some really great projects in a role that's similar to a product manager combined with product engineering and sourcing. I decided to leave the military life to settle down and really find a new career

Is it true that mba students don't have much interaction with Center For Sales and Marketing Strategy?

Foster_Megan: Yes, that's true. This is a new center and it is primarily focused on research at the moment. However, we do have a robust marketing curriculum. In fact, 41% of our graduates last year landed marketing roles. Check out our Career Path page: http://foster.uw.edu/careers/full-time- ... reer-path/
You'll find a list of companies that have hired our students for marketing roles among other resources that Foster offers students pursuing careers in marketing.

I noticed that the resume can be up to 3 pages long. While it is the Max Limit, what is the preferred page-limit that you typically recommend?

Foster_Megan: There is no optimal length, but we are interested in seeing any work experience and extracurricular activities or volunteer experience from the 1st year of university onward. If you are planning to make a career transition, it is helpful to tailor your resume to demonstrate that you have the skills to do so. Any activity demonstrating leadership and commitment to community is positive.

Hi Nelson,Are strategic consulting project and Applied Strategy Consulting project same or there is some difference. Can you please share your experience on these?

Foster_Nelson: I think those are the same. If you're referring to the consulting project that we do in the first year, it was a great experience to immediately apply what we learned in the first quarter. Towards a meaningful business challenge that a company is facing for my project, I did marketing strategy for EMC's Big Data analytics. it was a subject I have no prior knowledge or experience with, and it was great to really learn about their industry and to interact with people at EMC. Our final brief was to senior leaders at that company, and was a great learning opportunity!

In second year also do we get any chance to work on any similar live project.

Foster_Nelson: Yes, you actually get opportunities with companies for longer-term, more complex business challenges. In addition, you can always organize and arrange your own consulting projects with companies. for instance a couple of my classmates and I joined up and found our own consulting project with Cascade Designs, a local outdoor company

Hi Nelson, Your marketing strategy project at EMC big-data analytical sounds interesting. Based on your experience, Can you let us know how challenging is the process of applying/getting marketing jobs/internshhips in industries where one might not have direct previous experience but can be open and willing to get into?

Foster_Nelson: It's really tough depending on your background. we have a former ski patroller and a folk singer who completely changed their career paths. The career services team is SO amazing at helping you frame your experience and tell your story to new audiences. Our folk singer had some weird-sounding things on her resume, but thanks to career services, she was able to land an amazing marketing internship.
I'll have her tell her story in a future blog post But yeah it is really challenging, but with your classmates and career services, you can do it! (but be prepared for lots of rejection)

Foster_Megan: We are ranked #3 in the US in job placement. Seattle is the fastest growing city in the U.S. and we have a small MBA program, which helps, but the program won't accomplish your career goals for you. It's your responsibility to take full advantage of the resources, network, do your homework, build your interview skills, etc.

Foster_Nelson: Agreed - you can't be passive. you have to be really active in the job search and really work on it

What options are available for international students for interviews? Do you connect applicant with local alumni?

Foster_Megan: There is an international alumni group that is available as a resource for current international students. MBA Career Management knows which companies offer sponsorship. We've actually had a 100% job placement rate for international students for the last 3 years. MBA Career Management offers assistance in terms of cultural issues that may crop up as well.

Could you please shed some light on the scope of Internationals to obtain overseas employment in US post MBA, especially considering the current H1B restrictions?

Foster_Megan: Until now, only one of our students did not get the H1B through the lottery after completing the first year of employment on OPT (F1) status. That's in the last three years. All other students were hired on F1 status and converted.

Can you shed some light on employment process. What support do students get from career services team during internship/employment. Which companies, and from which sector, generally recruit at Foster?

Foster_Nelson: I really like the personal attention you get from the career services team. Since we are a smaller class, we get a ton of support from each of the career coaches and since they get to know your aspirations and career goals, they really do hook you up with opportunities and get you in front of people. I had an interest in the outdoor/sports industry, and the Nike internship pretty much fell into my lap thanks to coordination between career services and Nike. So for me, that support that they offered was invaluable. They are always available and ready to help

How much should we elaborate on our personal interests in the resume? Are you looking for more in depth than just a bulleted list?

Foster_Megan: If they are minor hobbies, a list is fine. If your personal interest has resulted in awards, travel, leadership responsibility, professional development, etc. you may choose to give a bit more detail or if the experience has been more significant, you might use the optional essay space to talk about it. In most cases, a bullet or list is fine.

Have you done any international consulting project? How is it different from study tours?

Foster_Nelson: Unfortunately I have not. I have classmates that did the india consulting trip. it's different from study tours because you put in a TON of work prior to and the actual trip is to go and brief and work with the client for study tours you are literally just touring around different companies - you don't have to do any prior work

Is only Evening MBA option available for those want to apply for Part time program? Or do you have weekend program too?

Foster_Megan: Foster has 3 work-compatible programs: Evening MBA, Technology Management MBA, and Executive MBA. TMMBA has classes on Saturdays and one evening/week. Executive has two different schedules. One schedule includes full-day classes alternating Friday and Saturdays.

How can a candidate highlight notable achievements (on a professional / personal level) that may come in after the application has been sent in, but before the decision has been made? I understand it may make things harder for Adcom, but is there a preferred way of managing this?

Foster_Megan: If you have achievements to share after submitting the application, you can email us an updated resume, but there is no guarantee that your update will be considered. It depends on where we are in reviewing your application.

Chat Transcript
Attachment:
Foster Admissions Chat 1st Oct 15.pdf [899.83 KiB]
Downloaded 40 times
To download please login or register as a user

Schools: Foster '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 08:48
In for round 1! Good luck everyone.
Intern
Intern
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 04:00
Hi! Can someone help me with a very important question at this time! I just submitted my Round 1 application to Foster. however the GMAT scores have not been sent yet- although I have self reported my scores. I sent an email to the mba admissions team- but can anyone tell me if they will still consider me for round 1? :///// would greatly appreciate any reply!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 04:31
ady871 wrote:
Hi! Can someone help me with a very important question at this time! I just submitted my Round 1 application to Foster. however the GMAT scores have not been sent yet- although I have self reported my scores. I sent an email to the mba admissions team- but can anyone tell me if they will still consider me for round 1? :///// would greatly appreciate any reply!

I submitted yesterday and my application said that any GMAT score sent would be linked with the application AFTER submission and will be reflected within 48 hours. I emailed the admission office and they said that my application is complete and ready for review; so I think you are fine. Arlo is very quick with email I'm sure you'll hear back from them soon :)
Intern
Intern
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 04:57
westcoastplan wrote:
ady871 wrote:

I submitted yesterday and my application said that any GMAT score sent would be linked with the application AFTER submission and will be reflected within 48 hours. I emailed the admission office and they said that my application is complete and ready for review; so I think you are fine. Arlo is very quick with email I'm sure you'll hear back from them soon :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your reply! And since I have you here :) how about the optional essay? I did not submit one but it appears as "not received"! ;/ Thanks again for your prompt reply!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 05:02
ady871 wrote:
westcoastplan wrote:
ady871 wrote:

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your reply! And since I have you here :) how about the optional essay? I did not submit one but it appears as "not received"! ;/ Thanks again for your prompt reply!

Both my "optional essay" and "MBA/JD" essay appear not received (I didn't submit any). The admission office says it's ok to leave them blank.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 07:24
Any idea, when will we hear back from school on Interview?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Tuck '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 09:03
spiceguy wrote:
Any idea, when will we hear back from school on Interview?

Looking at last year's thread, we will probably hear back in about a week.

ady871 wrote:

As to the GMAT, I submitted my app on the 14th and today it shows my GMAT scores have been received. It hadn't been received when I checked yesterday.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.96
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 20:24
Anyone with interviews yet?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.81
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 11:31
srinivas45 wrote:

I just received an email Thursday saying my application has been moved into review phase, and with info on interview invites and decision dates. So seems like they're still reviewing. Anyone else?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 14:18
bradical213 wrote:
srinivas45 wrote:

I just received an email Thursday saying my application has been moved into review phase, and with info on interview invites and decision dates. So seems like they're still reviewing. Anyone else?

I got the same e-mail on Thursday. Just speculation, but if they're reviewing now, seems like they should be starting to offer interviews this week.
Manager
Manager
One Person’s Experience: The Benefits of an MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 20:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: One Person’s Experience: The Benefits of an MBA
Guest post! Brennen Ricks (Class of 2015) wrote a 4-part series on his blog, 1personsexperience.blogspot.com, to answer the question: “Was the MBA worth it?” We’re featuring an abbreviated version of the 4th and final part of the series here. For the full version of the article and more from Brennen, be sure to check out his blog!

The Benefit of an MBA
This is my last post of a series on if an MBA was worth it, even though there is still plenty more I could say.

This isn’t going to be a ‘tooting-my-own-horn’ essay. It’s an objective list of what I got out of the Foster MBA program that I could not have received through my own self-directed learning from books or online tutorials.

Let’s also be real and acknowledge that a formal upper-tier MBA program gets you access to some things that self-directed study just can’t…such as (brace yourself for buzz-words) access to networks of people, certain hands-on experience, job-placement systems, friendships, and a unique way to learn about yourself.

I have 4 main topics, and if you read any of them, I hope you read the last section.

The Network
I used to think that “it’s not what you know but who you know” was a lame buzz-phrase. Then I joined a small group of 140 people who (I felt) were more accomplished than me, quicker & sharper than me, tested higher than me, and had more forms of technical skills than me.

Being a part of that group mattered because I would have to do things that were new and difficult for me, and these new colleagues could sit down and show me how to manipulate that computer code in a software program to create a survey, or how to manage that horrendous workload, or show how to use some function I didn’t know existed in Excel that sped up my work up 10 times faster. Again, that is a very abbreviated, narrow list.

Having new networks of people taught me more on how other nationalities, political or religious creeds think or do business as I worked with them on really hard, time-consuming projects.

There’s a System:
I learned there is a super secret system that MBA schools, their alumni, and really big companies have made. Its code-name is “On-Campus Recruiting” or “Career Services.” The companies that hire MBA’s know the types of students the school will produce, so they directly connect to each other and bypass the traditional job hiring process. Here’s what the MBA school system plugged me into:

• MBA-only career fairs with interviewing & on-the-spot job offers. There are two major “National Career Fairs” hosted by the National Society of Hispanic MBA’s and National Black MBA Association. I went to one in a huge expo center in Philadelphia, talked with dozens of employers, interviewed with a few (including USAA), and lo and behold: I now have a job at USAA. I’m a believer.
  • “Office Hours” where employers send “pre-interviewers” to the MBA school so students like me could sign up to talk with the recruiter in order to get to know the company (and interviewer). Using this resource correlated very highly with getting a job interview.
  • Career Services & Alumni from your school. If I was interested in working for a specific company in Seattle or Austin or Denver, I would email my career services partner and she would reply in a day with 2-3 MBA school alumni who had agreed to either meet up with me or call them to ask them all about their job & the way people end up working there.
  • “MBA Rotational Jobs” that cut out at least 1 or 2 rungs on the corporate ladder. Just about every large company has a rotational program. Some call it a Career Development Program, or Leadership Development Program. When I was at Fidelity, there was a standard career ladder that went something like: Individual Contributor > Senior Member > Manager > Director > Program Director > VP > Executive > President. These programs boost a person like myself 2 to 3 levels up from where I was previously working. More than a dozen of my classmates (including me) got into MBA Rotational program, and have jobs at (or approaching) the equivalent of a Director.
This system is a real thing and a huge benefit. Companies trust that my classmates and I are Director-caliber people (or will be in a year or two). There’s a lot of other pieces to the MBA School / MBA Employer system, but that’s enough to get my point across.

Practical Experience:
In the MBA program, I got to lead, create and decide things at a level that I would not otherwise have been able to.  Here’s 2 examples out of “at least two-hands worth” of internship, projects and consulting opportunities.

• I and 3 other students created a 6-figure investment fund. We wrote the governing documents, hired the student analysts, wrote the curriculum and lead them on how to do research, then presented our findings & investment strategy to our donors.
  • Teaching experience within a top-10 undergraduate program. I taught undergraduate accounting classes as a teaching assistant to over 300 young adults over the course of 4 quarters. I worked with professors to prepare lessons and materials, quizzes, and exams, and got to deal with kids who think someone should get special credit for trying really hard. False. This was important to me because I always have (and continue to) entertain the idea of finding a place to teach finance or accounting at a small university and build a managed investment portfolio. It let me try teaching and see “how the sausage is made.” Overall, I really liked it. I felt like I genuinely helped people in a difficult time of life where they were searching for guidance, and made something difficult not as bad. The experience taught me something I needed to learn about myself.
Knowledge
This leads me to the last point I would like to make:

I know (my Blue Dot) Christine better, and she knows me better, and I know myself better. We understand & love each other better, and I feel better about myself. Here are some reasons why:

• I know what I’m capable of, as well as where my limits are.
  • I know what Christine is capable of, and what difficult things can strengthen or weaken our relationship. I feel empowered with more ways for us to be close.
  • We learned how we deal with living in new places. We moved apartments across state lines 4 times in the last 3 years. It taught us how to expand our perspectives on how people live. It taught us how quick people are to judge how others live without understanding the context of what their living circumstances are like. It taught us how to adapt, and love wherever we are.
I could talk about the professors & their caliber, the study tours and access to some many other things, but this is already too long.

So, was an MBA worth it for me? Unequivocally, yes. But that is just one person’s experience.

About the Author:
Brennen Ricks (Class of 2015) left training new brokers at Fidelity Investments to complete the Foster MBA Program. While at Foster he co-launched the Foster Student Investment Fund, achieved Level-2 Chartered Financial Analysts (CFA) candidacy, and earned an average 4.9/5.0 student rating throughout his second year as an Accounting teaching assistant. He accepted an offer at USAA Federal Savings Bank serving our nation’s veterans and families, and currently manages various marketing analytics projects as part of an MBA Career Development Program.

Read more from Brennen on his website, 1personsexperience.blogspot.com
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 09:26
Foster, why you got to keep me waiting?

Still quiet?

Really hoping to make a trip to Seattle!
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 09:38
Looking at last year thread, interview invites started coming on Oct 22nd. So I presume we are not far from the time when interview invites will start coming.... Eagerly looking forward to it..
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Foster '18 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.65
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 15:24
Received a video and in person interview invite today. Pretty pumped! Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 15:27
rltw wrote:
Received a video and in person interview invite today. Pretty pumped! Good luck to everyone!

I did too, both video and in person. Good luck to you also!
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 15:29
Looks like they're rolling out now. Just received video interview and an admissions interview invitation. Admissions interview Skype, campus or hub options. Going to try to make a trip up to Seattle! Video interview due by Nov 4th.

Time to prepare for this video interview portion. Anyone with any insight?

Best of luck to all.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 15:31
Got invited for video and in person interview.. Super excited...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all UWA-Foster Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2015, 15:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  21    Next  [ 403 posts ] 

Calling all UWA-Foster Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap