GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 11:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '20
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2016, 19:24
Hi everyone,

I interview on-campus on March 1st.

Anyone in the Boston area interested in a mock TBD? Please PM me!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton '18 (II)
Wharton Round 2 TBD Mock Session?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2016, 12:49
Is anyone in the NYC area interested in practicing together?

Here's my thought:

Date: Sunday, February 21
Place: Think Coffee, 248 Mercer St.
Time: Afternoon or evening? TBD depending on people's schedules
Structure:
-Introductions (10 mins)
-Mock TBD (35 mins)
-Debrief and feedback (20 mins)
-Tips and developing day-of gameplan (15 mins)
Current Student
Re: Wharton Round 2 TBD Mock Session?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2016, 13:49
she1985 wrote:

Here's my thought:

Structure:
-Introductions (10 mins)
-Mock TBD (35 mins)

Sign me up please! Afternoon.

http://ThisMBA.com - A blog chronicling my journey to a top American MBA program.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2016, 13:59
Great! How about 4pm?

I'll leave this up and hopefully more people will chime in and join throughout the week. We can confirm as we approach Sunday.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2016, 16:32
she1985 wrote:
Great! How about 4pm?

I'll leave this up and hopefully more people will chime in and join throughout the week. We can confirm as we approach Sunday.

4pm works for me. I've added it to my calendar. Thanks for setting this up.

http://ThisMBA.com - A blog chronicling my journey to a top American MBA program.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2016, 19:31
My pleasure. Thanks for being up for practicing. I've heard from another person via PM, so there will at least be the three of us. I'm not sure how many participants are in the real thing, but whoever else is out there and interested, please join!
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2016, 10:41
she1985 wrote:

Here's my thought:

Structure:
-Introductions (10 mins)
-Mock TBD (35 mins)

Please do not start a new thread. Use the PM function or post it in the main thread. Merged the topics.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2016, 13:14
NYC TBD practice today (Feb 16) or tomorrow (Feb 17)?

I know it's late notice, but wondering if anyone's open to doing a practice run today or tomorrow? I'm flexible with timing, so just PM me and I'll let you know if we have enough (3 or more).
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 05:40
YumBeeA wrote:
Interviewing in Mumbai on 3rd. Anybody interested in discussing TBDs or mock TBD, please PM me.

Hi YumBeeA, I'm interviewing in Bombay on March 2. Would love to do a mock TBD but not based in Bombay and not sure when I get in yet. Let's stay in touch? Perhaps on March 1 if I'm there early enough?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 05:42
Anyone in Bangalore interested in doing a mock TBD?
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 07:48
All: Please do remember to update your applicant statuses once you are done with your interviews. If you dont know how to do it, PM me and I will do that for you. This is important to reflect correct stats on the 1st page of this thread.
Admission Consultant
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 13:06
Good luck everyone! Keep in mind that the topic you come up with is not the most important part of the process. Focus on the way you interact with the other team members more and build off other ideas.

For many applicants, a team interview is easier and more natural than a tradition one-on-one interview. Relax, be yourself and ignore the observers in the room. If you want more specific advice on preparing for the interview, see below:

http://bit.ly/1NIiiiq

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 08:17
Anyone in Dublin, Ireland interested in the TBD?

We have one life. Keep trying.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 11:12
What are applicant statuses?

I would have loved to do something on the 16th or 17th, but unfortunately can only do the 21st. So far I've got two takers. Anyone else around in NYC on Sunday and interested in joining?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 03:03
tohin wrote:
Hi everyone,

The first Wharton TBDs will be taking place next week. For candidates interested, we have 2 slots remaining for tomorrow: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/re ... imulation/.

It's a cost effective way to prepare ideally for the actual TBD, and a major difference vs. the candidate-initiated mocks is the quality and objectivity of the feedback you'll receive.
Engr2012 published a list of Mock TBD options, and I'd recommend anyone to have a look at all available options (prices vary from $295 to $600+, so doing your research is important). See it here: calling-all-wharton-applicants-2016-intake-class-of-200055-600.html#p1642703
Good luck to everyone !

PS: here's what a past participant had to say about the mock TBD experience:
After the excitement to be invited to the TBD at Wharton settled down, I became super nervous. This was a format different from all other interviews that I had ever faced in my life. Researching on ways to prepare, I stumbled upon MBA Admissions Advisors. The website looked promising and I dropped an email. Vincent was prompt in his replies and assisted me in choosing the right packages to prepare given that I only had a time-frame of 72 hours before my TBD. The mock session in itself was stimulating and quite accurately reflected the actual TBD. I was surprised at the level of detail in which Vincent observed all of us and provided very specific feedback to help improve. I am really glad to be part of the next Wharton Class and Vincent definitely had a huge role to play in this.

We received several requests to add a session for candidates located in Asia. Done:
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/re ... imulation/

Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe
CEO and co-founder
MBA Admissions Advisors, LLC
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/

Prepare for your HBS interview: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/hbs-round-one-interview-invites/
Prepare for your Wharton TBD: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/registrations-for-the-wharton-team-based-discussion-simulation/

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 10:33
Anyone wants to practice for team beased discussion on skype?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 07:22
So by now I've read all TBD advice and reports I could find. Looks like in many cases the whole team does well, everyone is friendly and collaborative and provides decent comments etc. It's not clear to me how admissions officers ding 50-60% of applicants in these cases. Even if there is some small difference in performance between candidates, it is obviously often marginal compared to difference in experience etc.

So (IMHO) either there is simply a lot of randomness as much weight is put on a noisy low resolution data of performance on TBD (or opinion of admissions officer about this performance)

Or admissions officer is looking at something more subtle, that people who write reports or advice don't really understand.

Or, not much weight is put on the TBD as long as some minimum threshold performance is demonstrated, and success is determined by other factors.
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 07:57
2positive wrote:
So by now I've read all TBD advice and reports I could find. Looks like in many cases the whole team does well, everyone is friendly and collaborative and provides decent comments etc. It's not clear to me how admissions officers ding 50-60% of applicants in these cases. Even if there is some small difference in performance between candidates, it is obviously often marginal compared to difference in experience etc.

So (IMHO) either there is simply a lot of randomness as much weight is put on a noisy low resolution data of performance on TBD (or opinion of admissions officer about this performance)

Or admissions officer is looking at something more subtle, that people who write reports or advice don't really understand.

Or, not much weight is put on the TBD as long as some minimum threshold performance is demonstrated, and success is determined by other factors.

You raise very valid points. As someone who was invited to the TBD and PI but dinged later, I felt that my TBD was good, I participated, brought my ideas forward, summarized a part of it at the end (to give everyone some speaking time) and PI was a short 10 minute conversation (was able to answer all questions properly). I dont think TBD+PI is used as a marker to select people. It is more of a filtering mechanism to eliminate candidates who can not play well in a team based setting. PI was too short to have much of a value. I wasnt asked any TBD based reflection question, which was weird IMO.So the final decision does rest with the adcom member who has reviewed your application to invite you for the TBD/PI and who will again review your application one final time with TBD+PI feedback received from the admission officers.

There always will be some sort of subjective analysis of any application. 2 different admission officers might have a different take on the same application. So you need to play your cards correctly and hope that your application stands out to any reader who reads it. There is no set formula or subtleness that adcoms are looking for but apart from

1. Academic excellence
2. Extra curriculars
3. Community involvement
4. TBD+PI
5. Diversity of the class (ethnicity, industry, function, country etc). This last factor is heavily linked to the pre-application cycle decision of the admissions committee on how many students from a particular pool (lets say Indian engineers or US investment bankers) to accommodate based on past data of their school. Also, this is a factor that you can not do anything about but to make sure that you put in your best application forward.

Good luck with the TBD+PI.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Mar 2016, 08:43
good luck everyone

Originally posted by ekfie3m on 21 Feb 2016, 17:45.
Last edited by ekfie3m on 28 Mar 2016, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 09:22
Anybody in Dallas want to do a dry run? Would be down for Skype as well
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! &nbs [#permalink] 22 Feb 2016, 09:22

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38  ...  40    Next  [ 792 posts ] 

Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: gmatexam439, rohan2345

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap