GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 08:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

CBS Chances and Full vs. Part-Time

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.03
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
CBS Chances and Full vs. Part-Time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 14:10
Hi all,

To start, I'll give a bit of background on my situation/goals. Essentially, I am looking to pursue an MBA with a big decision to make: full or part-time. I would prefer to stay in NYC and am finishing up my applications for NYU Stern (part-time) and CBS (full-time). I took the GMAT for the first time last week, so things are now a bit clearer as to where I stand.

The Good:
GMAT: 760 (50 Quantitative, 44 Verbal, 6 Integrated Reasoning, TBD Writing)
Undergraduate Institution: Swarthmore College (Economics/Psychology double major)
Work Relevancy: ~3 years experience at top/largest ad agencies, promoted 3x

The Bad:
Work Duration/Age: A little under 3 years total, 24 years old
Nothing Flashy on Application: I am a fairly straight forward High GMAT/Low GPA candidate with common-enough work experience

Other:
Ethnicity: White

Based on the above, I'm looking for opinions on a few different things. I've already been told I stand a fair chance of getting into Stern part-time since it's a little bit easier, but what about CBS? Further, what are everyone's thoughts on full vs. part-time? For additional context, I have a job that I am not in love with and would certainly be willing to leave given the right opportunity. My company will pay for a small portion of tuition, but nothing that would skew my decision. The main benefit of PT is that I could obviously pay off loans (and pay my bills) while in school. I work in marketing and there's a lot to lose in experience/upward mobility by being gone for two years, but, again, I think the right opportunity could justify it. Lastly, I am open to a field switch as well, as I am not exactly compelled by my current line of work, though I enjoy it fine.

Thanks all!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Re: CBS Chances and Full vs. Part-Time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 01:24
Hey coltonaho

So firstly, congrats on the awesome GMAT score. That's great and exactly what you need to mitigate the 3.0 GPA. Give CBS a shot and go for Early Decision. However, one thing you might want to do before you apply...complete HBX CORe and do well in it to prove that you have the academic wherewithal to succeed in a top MBA program. The 80th percentile GPA range at most top schools starts at 3.2 so just know that whenever you come in below that number, you are in the bottom 10% of accepted candidates. The rest of your application needs to be strong across the board to help mitigate this. (And unfortunately, it's still not always possible.) I do think it's worth trying Stern FT even with the low GPA. I've seen that combination work at Stern before. Also, what I like about the Stern application is that you can indicate program preferences. If they keep the esssays the same this year, you can basically say that your first choice is FT but if you're not accepted, you will consider PT.

Re: FT vs PT, with FT, you will build a strong network and be in a better place -- with more support -- to change jobs and careers. You can build a network and change jobs in a PT program, but it's just a bit harder. And of course, there's the financial aspect of going PT but you are early in your career and salaries coming out of FT programs are generally $130k+ so run those numbers too.

You strike me as the type of person who would get a lot out of a free consultation, so please consider setting one up at your convenience. (Link in signature.) Hope that helps!
Krista

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Re: CBS Chances and Full vs. Part-Time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 11:34
mbaMissionKrista wrote:
Hey coltonaho

So firstly, congrats on the awesome GMAT score. That's great and exactly what you need to mitigate the 3.0 GPA. Give CBS a shot and go for Early Decision. However, one thing you might want to do before you apply...complete HBX CORe and do well in it to prove that you have the academic wherewithal to succeed in a top MBA program. The 80th percentile GPA range at most top schools starts at 3.2 so just know that whenever you come in below that number, you are in the bottom 10% of accepted candidates. The rest of your application needs to be strong across the board to help mitigate this. (And unfortunately, it's still not always possible.) I do think it's worth trying Stern FT even with the low GPA. I've seen that combination work at Stern before. Also, what I like about the Stern application is that you can indicate program preferences. If they keep the esssays the same this year, you can basically say that your first choice is FT but if you're not accepted, you will consider PT.

Re: FT vs PT, with FT, you will build a strong network and be in a better place -- with more support -- to change jobs and careers. You can build a network and change jobs in a PT program, but it's just a bit harder. And of course, there's the financial aspect of going PT but you are early in your career and salaries coming out of FT programs are generally $130k+ so run those numbers too.

You strike me as the type of person who would get a lot out of a free consultation, so please consider setting one up at your convenience. (Link in signature.) Hope that helps!
Krista

Thank you for the response! I will take all of these things into account. :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: CBS Chances and Full vs. Part-Time &nbs [#permalink] 05 Apr 2018, 11:34

CBS Chances and Full vs. Part-Time

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap