It is currently 22 Jan 2018, 00:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Choked on Quant on my 3rd attempt... should I try a 4th?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Choked on Quant on my 3rd attempt... should I try a 4th? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 08:08
I just took the GMAT for the 3rd time... Result? Frustration.

I'd like to get some opinions on whether or not I should take the GMAT for a fourth time. I'm applying to UVA (Darden), Carnegie Mellon (Tepper), Ohio State (Fisher), Penn State (Smeal), and Indiana (Kelley). More detail below, but scores are: 1) Cancelled ... 2) 620 38Q/37V... 3) 630 36Q/40V.

Background:

I took it for the first time this past summer. I was foolish enough to think that I'd put a few hours a week in for roughly 2 weeks and rely on my history of strong standardized test taking abilities. Suffice it to say, I cancelled that score.

Shortly thereafter, I began preparing more seriously. I purchased an online prep course and hunkered down. I took the GMAT again on December 4th and scored a 620 (38Q / 37V). Relative to my practice test scores, this was disappointing; so I got home and immediately rescheduled. I knew I had more in me. I really dug into quant, and felt as though I made progress. I was a bit dismissive about spending any time on certain subtopics prior to my 620 exam (in educational psychology they call this the "illusion of knowing something"), but I wasn't going to allow that to happen again. I was getting 46-48Q on Veritas Prep practice exams...

Test 3 - I got a 630 (36Q / 40V). Somehow, after spending zero time on verbal and all of my time on quant, I improved my verbal score, and completely choked on quant. I'm feeling completely dejected. I also feel as though I could walk back into a test center tomorrow and get that 46 on Quant because I know the material and know the strategies. I took college level calculus/stats.... My career isn't super math intensive, but I'm also not by any means incompetent. Some additional context is that I have some pretty ugly anxiety issues, and I certainly think that's factoring into my choke-job on test day (I've had to overcome it in a variety of other contexts though, so it's no excuse). Verbal comes pretty naturally to me so that's less of a concern. I also got a 6 on integrated reasoning as well as a perfect score on the AWA last time (and anticipate something similar this time around). I'm also 31 years old, so time isn't on my side based on what FT program demographics look like.

Should I take the GMAT again? How soon (given that I'm applying now)? Will most schools take my new scores after I submit my application?

Thanks in advance!
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
CAT Tests
Re: Choked on Quant on my 3rd attempt... should I try a 4th? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 08:44
Go through EmpowerGMAT's Quant Score Booster plan, follow it religiously and for sure you'll get Q45 at least man!! But make sure you do it properly (You know what I mean, no skipping and shit!).
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Hi wjm2020

To begin with, to score well in the Quant section you need to have a grasp on
the concepts and be able to apply these concepts while doing problems.

Below are the few recommendations that I have for you if you intend
to give GMAT another go. You could revise your concepts using the
Quantitative Mega-Thread. Once you have completed the concepts
related to a topic, you should practice questions pertaining to the concept.
Every time you make a mistake, make a note of the learning associated
with the mistake. Read and re-read these notes from time to time to avoid
making these mistakes again.

Additionally, these are a few links which you might find beneficial
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improv ... 42810.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improv ... 41670.html

If timing is where you are facing issues, then you could take help from
the strategies discussed in this link
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 02515.html

Hope this helps you!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 09:52
You should take it again only if you can do things differently. Can you ensure your approach, attempt, strategies, or behavior be different? (The test will be the same by the way).

If not then don’t take it until you can effect change.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 11:48
Hi wjm2020,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. While Test Day anxiety could certainly have impacted your performance, when these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 18:40
pushpitkc wrote:
Hi

To begin with, to score well in the Quant section you need to have a grasp on
the concepts and be able to apply these concepts while doing problems.

Below are the few recommendations that I have for you if you intend
to give GMAT another go. You could revise your concepts using the
Once you have completed the concepts
related to a topic, you should practice questions pertaining to the concept.
Every time you make a mistake, make a note of the learning associated
with the mistake. Read and re-read these notes from time to time to avoid
making these mistakes again.

Additionally, these are a few links which you might find beneficial

If timing is where you are facing issues, then you could take help from
the strategies discussed in this link

Hope this helps you!

Thank you for the tips. Clearly I do need to reassess my study strategies to some degree, and I will happily do so if I decide to take the test again, but my main concern was whether or not taking the test 4 times would be frowned upon by an admissions office. Also, given all but one of my applications are already in, will schools accept new scores after the fact?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 18:48
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi wjm2020,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. While Test Day anxiety could certainly have impacted your performance, when these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: in an online forum or in a practice set)?

Rich

Hi Rich! Thank you for your response. Here are my answers to your questions.

1) No, I always took Quant/Verbal/IR but almost never included the AWA. I still scored a 6 on it so that's not a concern for me.
2) Yes, I took them at home.
3) Yes.
4) No, outside of ignoring the AWA (which I always do last on test day anyway) I treated a practice test as if it were the actual GMAT.
5) I did not take any of the same practice tests more than once.

Working under the assumption I'm more prepared now than I was that day, is taking the GMAT a 4th time worth the $250 if I can increase my quant to mid 40's? Is it too late since I've submitted applications for round 2 now?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 19:02
maybe try ordering the enhanced score report to see areas you are not doing well. that might help you to understand where you need focus
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Business Development (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 03:46
wjm2020 wrote:

I'd like to get some opinions on whether or not I should take the GMAT for a fourth time. I'm applying to UVA (Darden), Carnegie Mellon (Tepper), Ohio State (Fisher), Penn State (Smeal), and Indiana (Kelley). More detail below, but scores are: 1) Cancelled ... 2) 620 38Q/37V... 3) 630 36Q/40V.

Background:

I took it for the first time this past summer. I was foolish enough to think that I'd put a few hours a week in for roughly 2 weeks and rely on my history of strong standardized test taking abilities. Suffice it to say, I cancelled that score.

Shortly thereafter, I began preparing more seriously. I purchased an online prep course and hunkered down. I took the GMAT again on December 4th and scored a 620 (38Q / 37V). Relative to my practice test scores, this was disappointing; so I got home and immediately rescheduled. I knew I had more in me. I really dug into quant, and felt as though I made progress. I was a bit dismissive about spending any time on certain subtopics prior to my 620 exam (in educational psychology they call this the "illusion of knowing something"), but I wasn't going to allow that to happen again. I was getting 46-48Q on Veritas Prep practice exams...

Test 3 - I got a 630 (36Q / 40V). Somehow, after spending zero time on verbal and all of my time on quant, I improved my verbal score, and completely choked on quant. I'm feeling completely dejected. I also feel as though I could walk back into a test center tomorrow and get that 46 on Quant because I know the material and know the strategies. I took college level calculus/stats.... My career isn't super math intensive, but I'm also not by any means incompetent. Some additional context is that I have some pretty ugly anxiety issues, and I certainly think that's factoring into my choke-job on test day (I've had to overcome it in a variety of other contexts though, so it's no excuse). Verbal comes pretty naturally to me so that's less of a concern. I also got a 6 on integrated reasoning as well as a perfect score on the AWA last time (and anticipate something similar this time around). I'm also 31 years old, so time isn't on my side based on what FT program demographics look like.

Should I take the GMAT again? How soon (given that I'm applying now)? Will most schools take my new scores after I submit my application?

Thanks in advance!

I can only speak from personal experience, but I too got pretty anxious during my first GMAT attempt and became bogged down by a couple of answers that I'd realised were incorrect. It doesn't seem like your grasp of the subject is a problem and I think most of it is down to acclimatising yourself to that pressure-cooker situation.

I'd suggest giving more practice tests before your next attempt, I gave around 10-12 before my best attempt just to get myself comfortable with the clock running down on the side and at the same time learning from the silly mistakes I was making. Managing time was a huge issue for me and I found that I'd get stuck on a couple of questions, mainly because I knew I could solve them and didn't want to make an educated guess- but this ultimately would derail my test and throw me off my game. There are always multiple ways to solve questions in the Quant section, and you will face situations where you end up approaching the question with a longer, more time consuming and calculation-heavy method; in this scenario, you'll probably end up wasting more than 2.5 minutes on the question and my suggestion to you in these cases would be to either abandon the method you're using at the 50-60 second mark and figure out a simpler method in the next 15 or just make an educated guess.

Also I don't know if you've been able to complete all questions in the Quant section, but that has to be of utmost importance especially if you want to see the kind of jump in Quant that you're targeting. As I've alluded to earlier, time management is key, and from what I've observed the last 2-3 questions are pretty simple, so you wouldn't want to miss out on them or not have enough time to solve them correctly.

Get yourself comfortable with the test-room environment, I believe that more practice tests can and will help you overcome the anxiety issues you're facing. And then go ahead and give it another shot!

Hope this was useful! Good Luck!
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 09:44
wjm2020 wrote:

Background:

Thanks in advance!

Hi wjm2020,

First of all congratulations on an Amazing Verbal Score.

As for your score in Quant, please do not be disheartened. GMAT does test your perseverance. I think you should dedicate around 2 months to achieve your dream score. Kindly go through the concepts first and solidify your base in Quant. Try out the Foundation of GMAT Math by MGMAT and MGMAT Strategy guides as they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the Quant review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... ml?fl=menu

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 17:45
Hi wjm2020,

From your prior post, there were some 'red flags' in terms of how you took your CATs. Before we discuss those issues though, I have a few additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Many Business Schools will accept notable 'updates' to your application (such as a higher GMAT Score, a new notable event at your job, etc.); to be sure though, you should contact each School directly and ask. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and application plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Choked on Quant on my 3rd attempt... should I try a 4th?   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2018, 17:45

Choked on Quant on my 3rd attempt... should I try a 4th?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap